Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Free or cheap PPK software for Phantom 4 pro RTK

ansan12001

Reaction score
Geoque has software that will allow surveyors to use their own brand base station with Phantom RTK 4 pro.
I just found out about this today. However the software is still a bit rich.
Is there a way to use my own brand base station for PPK with this drone. And post process? Even if its not free if its cheaper, I will consider it.
I know there are other ways such as different modules for drones but I like what DJI is doing and just want to try to use their RTK drone in PPK data collection. Main problems are I have Navcom base stations and I dont have any software for post processing.
Any advice is great. We are surveyors, so we do all the gps and conventional surveying now, would like to PPK with ground control as check shots I wouldnt want to sell it otherwise. Thank you

Last edited:
PPK is about the only thing we have not tried yet with the P4 RTK. We have tried NTRIP, using Aeropoints, putting the base station over a known point / survey monument and just flying standard and correcting with ground control after the fact. I'll see if anyone at the office has any PPK testing planned with a surveyor client and let you know. Relative accuracy is very, very good and absolute accuracy (which is probably the only thing you are concerned with) is also extremely tight. How good has to do with your GSD - which to stay at 1cm or less means a flight altitude of about 115 feet. As you know, absolute accuracy is never going to be better than your GSD - so trying to keep it at 1cm was our testing goal. We did fly at about 200 feet as well with a GSD just under 2cm, but getting a crosshair on a GCP target got a little grainy when zoomed in so tight. We could not say with 100% confidence that we hit the absolute dead center. With a pixel representing 2cm of area we only know we were within that margin of error.

We do not claim to be surveyors or experts with all of this stuff, but would be happy to share all of our testing along with our thoughts and opinions if you want to give a call and chat about it.

You can reach us at (855) 837-6637 anytime - my name is Michael. Myself and Steve were both heavily involved in the testing of the P4RTK gear...with and without the various error correcting networks and methods.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: WVDronePilot
Michael,
Thank you for your detialed response, seems like you guys are doing good things! Doesn't seem like not having a survey background is getting in your way. Most of what I have learned about drone and UAV mapping has been from good people that are willing to share their expertise, so thank you. I wouldn't say I have a "knack" for this stuff, but I am definitely very interested. I do not think drones will replace the traditional survey but drones definitely are the right tool for many jobs.

I have heard about Aeropoints, used them once on mountian near Big Bear, Californa. This was two years ago, they did provide the data in formats we could us but it was very PAINFUL trying to get them to provide a speedy turnaround. This was one of the reasons we want to do this in house. How do you like their product? Seems to me those ground targets are a bit expensive, especially considering we have the survey equipment to provide RTK/PPK/total station ground control already. (However, I can see a justification for someone that doesnt have the GPS equipment already).

Most of what I see is "whitepapers"...basically advertisement, of mapping software that claims "survey grade." Many times this is true, but it would take someone in southern California to point out that most of the testing done has been in flat topography. Much of the topography of southern California is very rugged with high vegetation. Most professionals out here do not use drones for precise work, especially in places of high variance of vertical elevations. My opinion is that with careful planning, it is possible to be within inch vertically.

I agree with you Michael that GSD is the single most important factor in aerial data collection. I usually am around 1-1.5cm per pixal and try to stay @ 1:1 ratio as much as possible. 80-90 percent overlap which oftens means alot of time assigning ground control in software processing, but the result come out well.

You should really check out what GeoCue is doing with the P4P rtk drone. I know alot about their products but I still haven't been able to justify 12k for their entire suite. We here in california still do alot of convential surveying, BUT if I could use free or cheaper processing software then I would buy a RTK drone. Again, the new GeoQue software (according to their wesite) will allow the use of a non specific base station.

Here is a link,

Last edited:
I've been talking with GeoCue as well. Just to clarify, their PPK processing software is about $2500. They have an "all in" suite that includes the imagery post-processing software and other tools. But for just re-mapping the exif data in the photos to the corrected location from the survey base station, you only need the ASPSuite software (yes the name is somewhat misleading). You will still need some sort of imagery post-processing software, like Pix4D or Agisoft.

Ok, I see I forgot to put in the link sorry but wxfloyd addressed the geocue software.

There is a subject of importance to us all that I would like to open up on this thread, since it is somewhat related.

I would personally love to be able to offer post processed (ie survey grade) UAV data to many more clients then I do now. The problem is the cost of the QeoCue software (and just as importantly, the time cost to learn). Would it violate Terms and Conditions of GeoCue and other like software manufacturers if we came together and bought processing service from one company or person that purchased a license?

That is something that I may entertain as I still have my QC checks so I know if something isnt right. I am using Carlson Precision Topo 3D

The beauty of Carlson is that I can drop in survey data straight from data collector, so my conventional/GPS survey ground control is incorporated into my ortho's and export files. This to me, is the best way to get good accuracy. Most of the third party software do not come close to offering this ability, which for surveying, is very important.

It may sound redundant but I would prefer to have both PPK processed imagery AND ground control, if nothing for checks. I trust the existing processing platforms, the problem is trying to sell the final product to clients that are concerned about reliability. So I need to have a few ways to confirm the accuracy.

What I need is someone with the software to do the post processing and exif file editing. Carlson will handle the rest of the workflow.

So if someone buys the Geoque software, let me know if you need a paying client. This is just an idea, but I think it is a good business if you network to engineering and surveying companies who are already flying but struggle like me to get their workflow to PPK standards. Thank you

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker