Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

From Flagstaff: help me select a drone

aldi

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a GIS student at Northern Arizona University and am looking to generate some income for school. I have the capital to buy a setup between $500 and $1500. My main interest given my field of study is photogrammetry. Is there a drone in that price point that is suitable for those kind of projects?

Very Respectfully,
Aldi

Hi Aldi, many people are flying the type of projects you mention with a DJI Phanton 4 Pro. Your budget allows you a couple of options for a Phanton 4 Pro. We could get you a new P4P for $1499 or a DJI refurbished P4P for $1279 which would leave room for an additional battery.

You should also keep in mind how many flights you will be doing on each outing. Extra batteries are a must if you need to do a couple of flights or more per day.

Let us know if we can help.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge, for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Hi Aldi, many people are flying the type of projects you mention with a DJI Phanton 4 Pro. Your budget allows you a couple of options for a Phanton 4 Pro. We could get you a new P4P for $1499 or a DJI refurbished P4P for $1279 which would leave room for an additional battery.

You should also keep in mind how many flights you will be doing on each outing. Extra batteries are a must if you need to do a couple of flights or more per day.

Let us know if we can help.
Thanks for the help! I have been researching and have run across the mavic pro as a comparable drone to the Phantom 4 Pro. Is there an edge that the Phantom 4 pro has over mavic for photogrammetry or in general?
Also, do you guys have a brick and mortar shop in Florida? If so, where? I am in Florida right now.

Thanks for the help! I have been researching and have run across the mavic pro as a comparable drone to the Phantom 4 Pro. Is there an edge that the Phantom 4 pro has over mavic for photogrammetry or in general?
Also, do you guys have a brick and mortar shop in Florida? If so, where? I am in Florida right now.

The edge that the Phantom 4 Pro has over the Mavic Pro is the quality of the camera and sensor. The P4P has a 20mp sensor as compared to the 12mp sensor in the Mavic Pro. The image quality will be much better on the P4P. Yes we do have a retail store in Ft Myers.

Welcome to the CDP forum, @aldi, we are happy to have you here. The Phantom 4 Pro is a great platform for that price point and is compatible with near all third party applications developed through the DJI SDK for photogrammetry work. Best of luck in your work/studies at NAU. Cheers! :cool:

I agree the phantom 4 is a excellent choice. As mentioned additional batteries are a must have if you plan to use it commercially.
Also, make sure you register it with the FAA and get you commercial drone license.

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM