Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

General European drone regulations 2019

Oyibo VFX

Reaction score
Morning all

Yesterday I saw an interesting article in our newspaper. Despite a lot of stupid idiots who think flying around airports is cool, the EU will apply a standard drone regulation around half 2019.
Basically, as a hobby pilot, the limit goes from 5kg to 4kg for a drone (so, the Inspire 2 with X5S is legal).
One thing is that the general max elevation will be 120 meters (400ft).
There still will be a difference between professional and commercial users but that might be in favor for the professional pilots. Like in Holland at the moment, hobby pilots can fly up to 120 meters, professional pilots only to 50 meters (don't ask me why).
Rules with regards to NFZ and Nature2000 zones will most likely not chance and/or be more stringent. But the rules are for all EU countries. I think I'm happy with that.

So... interesting times ahead.

Morning all

Yesterday I saw an interesting article in our newspaper. Despite a lot of stupid idiots who think flying around airports is cool, the EU will apply a standard drone regulation around half 2019.
Basically, as a hobby pilot, the limit goes from 5kg to 4kg for a drone (so, the Inspire 2 with X5S is legal).
One thing is that the general max elevation will be 120 meters (400ft).
There still will be a difference between professional and commercial users but that might be in favor for the professional pilots. Like in Holland at the moment, hobby pilots can fly up to 120 meters, professional pilots only to 50 meters (don't ask me why).
Rules with regards to NFZ and Nature2000 zones will most likely not chance and/or be more stringent. But the rules are for all EU countries. I think I'm happy with that.

So... interesting times ahead.
Except that the UK is thankfully leaving the EU so EASA will not be making arbitrary rules and regulations and demanding the UK jumps to their little tune.
Secondly, the CAA and in general each member states aviation authority will have to ratify and sanction its own individual laws so knowing what a lot of hot air comes out of Brussels this will be no doubt be pushed back on the timeline......again.

The regulations have been published already in the U.K. and clearly state a maximum height of 400ft and closest distance to an airport is 1km. In addition from November 2019,all drones must be registered with the CAA. There will be other regulations to come regarding testing for all drone fliers whose craft weigh more than 250gms. I hope that those of us with our PfCO will not have to spend yet more money to go through those tests.
Although the U.K. will be leaving the eu currently it seems that we will be following their rules and regulations for many years to come. EASA will still hold sway.

The regulations have been published already in the U.K. and clearly state a maximum height of 400ft and closest distance to an airport is 1km. In addition from November 2019,all drones must be registered with the CAA. There will be other regulations to come regarding testing for all drone fliers whose craft weigh more than 250gms. I hope that those of us with our PfCO will not have to spend yet more money to go through those tests.
Although the U.K. will be leaving the eu currently it seems that we will be following their rules and regulations for many years to come. EASA will still hold sway.
And these will be rewritten (again) as allowing 400ft agl at 1km out for a large passenger jet on final is complete idiocy at its best.
I have yet to see anything that comes out of EASA make sense. They couldn't even cite what EU insurance coverage was required for UAV use within Europe at one of their own consultations!

And here’s me trying not to be cynical but positive for a change. Believing what our government tells us. Ah well didn’t work.
I know just what you mean Editor, and that’s assuming we don’t have an election in the meantime, or do some rubbish Brexit deal.
We shall just have to wait and see. Perhaps they may have a revue and appoint a committee to look at the regulations. They could then publish a report which would be put out to consultation.

Reactions: The Editor
I'm just curious if you have a license (like I have for Belgium and Holland), that they are applicable in the rest of the EU. Much like your drivers license
Such a license or permit does not exist.
There is no European wide UAV certification as yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91