Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Getting to know ATC?

Nitz

Reaction score
What is the best way to get to know ATC?

I have a COA for two of our local airports that do not participate in LAANC. One of the requirements is to call in before each flight but, when I do It they request different information and deny without further explanation. One only asked altitude the next asks what felt like a quiz.

I have a COA for two of our local airports that do not participate in LAANC. One of the requirements is to call in before each flight but, when I do It they request different information and deny without further explanation. One only asked altitude the next asks what felt like a quiz.
??? Can you share the COA here?

Reactions: Nitz

Might be a good time to go to each airport and sit down with the airport manager and some of the tower staff and hammer out a letter of agreement. It is above and beyond but has worked really well with me. Everyone is operating from the same rules and knows what to expect of each other.

Might be a good time to go to each airport and sit down with the airport manager and some of the tower staff and hammer out a letter of agreement. It is above and beyond but has worked really well with me. Everyone is operating from the same rules and knows what to expect of each other.
Be sure to take the COA with you to the meeting. A dozen donuts wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Thank you @LUIS MARTINEZ and @R Martin

I went back and listened to my calls and it was my fault for not communicating as clear as I need to (I've been coddled with other ATC that didn't ask any questions). AKA I got lazy and paid the price - I can hear them (ATC) get frustrated so they just said no.

I called back later in the day, much more prepared, and was approved.

Mark this one up for Operator's Fault. Definitely wont happen again!

Be sure to take the COA with you to the meeting. A dozen donuts wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Now that is a real cop thing, a dozen donuts, what if the guy is diabetic. ATC people are in their own little world, and every controlled airport is different. Meet with the airport manager armed with FAA guidelines. The ATC guys know that unless a plane is on short final that altitude restrictions should keep the drone out of the way of any fixed wing aircraft. If they have helicopters operating in their area regularly that can add a new concern for the controller. Aircraft are suppose to enter the pattern at 1000 ft AGL, does this mean that all do, no they all don't, but they are suppose to. The ATC guy is responsible for the safe handling of all aircraft coming into or out of his airport. Other aircraft flying through his airspace my be under ATC center control.

Now that is a real cop thing, a dozen donuts, what if the guy is diabetic. ATC people are in their own little world, and every controlled airport is different. Meet with the airport manager armed with FAA guidelines. The ATC guys know that unless a plane is on short final that altitude restrictions should keep the drone out of the way of any fixed wing aircraft. If they have helicopters operating in their area regularly that can add a new concern for the controller. Aircraft are suppose to enter the pattern at 1000 ft AGL, does this mean that all do, no they all don't, but they are suppose to. The ATC guy is responsible for the safe handling of all aircraft coming into or out of his airport. Other aircraft flying through his airspace my be under ATC center control.

You anti-donut? That comment is a hate crime...I'm reporting you to Krispy Kreme police. Cops have feelings too!!!

1550164359514.png

Having never initiated a call to ATC (but will have to in the near future), can any of you with experience recommend a standard communication style? "Hi this is John Smith calling in regards to FAA waiver #________ to notify ATC of a low-altitude sUAV operation commencing in 30 minutes, located 6.2 miles to your southeast near the intersection of Route 24 and Harrison Avenue, with a maximum flight altitude of ___ ft AGL." Too wordy? Any tip on how to start the conversation with ATC in official speak would be appreciated.

Reactions: R Martin
Having never initiated a call to ATC (but will have to in the near future), can any of you with experience recommend a standard communication style? "Hi this is John Smith calling in regards to FAA waiver #________ to notify ATC of a low-altitude sUAV operation commencing in 30 minutes, located 6.2 miles to your southeast near the intersection of Route 24 and Harrison Avenue, with a maximum flight altitude of ___ ft AGL." Too wordy? Any tip on how to start the conversation with ATC in official speak would be appreciated.

This is (state name) with (business) at +15 to takeoff. I am X.X miles (compass direction) from tower and max altitude will be XXX FT AGL. Estimated flight time is XXX minutes. Will notify upon completion of operation via cell.

Reactions: Nitz
Just a reminder that there is a difference between a waiver and an authorization.

A waiver allows an operation outside the written rules. A daylight waiver allows night flights.
An authorization is in essence permission. You receive an authorization using LAANC for instance.
A COA is a Certificate of Authorization.

Seems like semantics, but it is an important distinction, especially when talking to ATC.

Just a reminder that there is a difference between a waiver and an authorization.

A waiver allows an operation outside the written rules. A daylight waiver allows night flights.
An authorization is in essence permission. You receive and authorization using LAANC for instance.

Seems like semantics, but it is an important distinction, especially when talking to ATC.

Correct. We don't know what his COA says... but if it's a COA he's already authorized to operate and required to notify, not ask permission, another important distinction .

Reactions: Phaedrus
I understand the difference, but in this case I am asking for an airspace waiver due to the fact that LANNC is not active around this airport yet. Otherwise, sure, I'd simply ask for a quick authorization via LANNC.

I'm just applying for it now, but was looking ahead as to how to professionally speak to ATC when/if the time comes.

Another thing I am curious about. Assuming I am granted the waiver and I notify ATC 3 days prior and then 30 minutes prior to take off, do they know what waiver I am refering to, and do they call it up on a screen? Do they at least have some sort of waivers list with my name on it? Or do they just take my word that I have a waiver in place? (Unlikely) I know, dumb questions... but I'd like to know how the process works in more detail.

Last edited:
"Hi this is John Smith calling in regards to UAS FAA waiver " and take a breath, allowing them to ask what they want. They are busy and want to get off the phone.

^^^^^^^ This

Keep it direct and concise and let them ask for the details they need to document. IMHO the key point is to give them your name and why you're calling... mention that you have the authorization/waiver already (if you do) or they will start to already deny in their head lol.

I understand the difference, but in this case I am asking for an airspace waiver due to the fact that LANNC is not active around this airport yet. Otherwise, sure, I'd simply ask for a quick authorization via LANNC.

I'm just applying for it now, but was looking ahead as to how to professionally speak to ATC when/if the time comes.

Another thing I am curious about. Assuming I am granted the waiver and I notify ATC 3 days prior and then 30 minutes prior to take off, do they know what waiver I am refering to, and do they call it up on a screen? Do they at least have some sort of waivers list with my name on it? Or do they just take my word that I have a waiver in place? (Unlikely) I know, dumb questions... but I'd like to know how the process works in more detail.

If LAANC isn't active then file for a COA. You are far less likely to be denied and you will get it a whole lot faster (measured in months). Your first notification that you are going to be operating in the airspace is a NOTAM filed through various portals. I give 24-48 hours of notice on that. The only time I physically contact the tower is 15 minutes prior to takeoff and immediately after I am done for the day. They have enough on their hands without an unmanned pilot pestering them. Finally, any paperwork that is approved, be it a waiver or COA, goes through the airspace it affects and they are aware of it. They are part of the approval chain.
Which comes full circle to my original post on the topic, sit down with them briefly, introduce yourself, and work out a method they are comfortable with (file a NOTAM, contact the tower, ect..). It is a lot easier to deal with someone when you know at least their face. I've never had an issue with ATC/tower because I did the dance well in advance and did exactly what they asked me to do (asked is the operative word rather than told). We worked out an agreement and everybody is happy.

If LAANC isn't active then file for a COA. You are far less likely to be denied and you will get it a whole lot faster (measured in months). Your first notification that you are going to be operating in the airspace is a NOTAM filed through various portals. I give 24-48 hours of notice on that. The only time I physically contact the tower is 15 minutes prior to takeoff and immediately after I am done for the day. They have enough on their hands without an unmanned pilot pestering them. Finally, any paperwork that is approved, be it a waiver or COA, goes through the airspace it affects and they are aware of it. They are part of the approval chain.
Which comes full circle to my original post on the topic, sit down with them briefly, introduce yourself, and work out a method they are comfortable with (file a NOTAM, contact the tower, ect..). It is a lot easier to deal with someone when you know at least their face. I've never had an issue with ATC/tower because I did the dance well in advance and did exactly what they asked me to do (asked is the operative word rather than told). We worked out an agreement and everybody is happy.

Here's an add-on to the statement above... I have a Wide Area Authorization for KAVL (Charlie). As stated on my WAA I am to call the tower 1hr prior to anticipated flight launch and again immediately upon end of flying session. I arrive on site and make the call 1hr prior to anticipated launch time. I contact ATC (via # provided on WAA) and let them know who I am, my intentions, and my time frame ( I did NOT mention I have an authorization in hand...).

Immediately the tower says, "Uhhh Sorry Mr. Newland but we aren't approving flights at the moment. You'll need to go through the online portal to get approval."

I replied, "Sir I have my Wide Area Authorization in hand... it's #0000001 and I'm pre-approved up to 200' AGL in this location and it requires me to make contact with you 1hr prior to flying. Is there someone else I can speak to?" He said, "Sure can, I've got the Boss Man right here".

Boss Man gets on the phone and asks, "How can I help you?"I start from scratch with him but I also stated that I have my WAA in hand and it states I am to contact ATC 1hr prior to flight. The moment he heard that he paused (I think he was getting paper and pen) and said, "Ah that makes a difference Mr. Newland, what's your exact location, desired flight altitude in AGL, desired flight path(s) and how long will you be flying. Also I need your name, authorization # and a phone # to reach you there on-site should I need to get in touch with you quickly".

I gave him all desired details and he said, "Just give us a call when your crew is done flying and thank you for calling us and working with us to keep our airspace safe. Have a nice day."

When I called back a couple of hours later the same guy that answered the phone originally answered again and I told him who I was, that we were done, and appreciate their help and coordination. He must have had a long talk from Boss Man because he was so nice and courteous and said he hoped all went well and that we got some amazing aerials of the event we were shooting. Night & Day difference from the previous conversation. I should have let him know from the get-go we have preapproval as opposed to calling and asking for approval.

It's important to note that even with the WAA (or anything other than LAANC) they can still deny your flight at the time due to SAFETY issues etc. Conditions/Circumstances can change and if your flight could cause an issue with airport/airspace safe operations they CAN deny even with your pre-approval in hand.

I assumed that all COA, AA, WAA had the "contact tower" clause written into them but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Nitz and R Martin
It's important to note that even with the WAA (or anything other than LAANC) they can still deny your flight at the time due to SAFETY issues etc. Conditions/Circumstances can change and if your flight could cause an issue with airport/airspace safe operations they CAN deny even with your pre-approval in hand.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed. They could slap a TFR on your airpatch if a VIP decides to visit that would override your WAA.

I assumed that all COA, AA, WAA had the "contact tower" clause written into them but I could be wrong.

My WAA only requires that I follow the altitude limitations set forth on the UAS Facilities web portal. I imagine they tailor each authorization to the specific area of operations or maybe each unit handles things a little differently. I went through DC on my request after I participated in their multi-part series on waivers this past summer. I asked the question and just happened to get the right person that pushed it through in three days. Your mileage may vary. Hopefully when it expires we will all be LAANC enabled.

Reactions: BigAl07
It is my understanding the only way an airport controller can deny a flight is if the airport is closed to all traffic or for special evens. If I have authorization, and the airport isn't closed, I'm going to notify the airport manager, normally that means leave him a message and perform my flight. The only exception would be is if my flight was in direct line with approach or departure and then most likely one wouldn't get authorization. I would file a NOTAM.
I think more ATC guys are being brought up to speed on FAA regs regarding drone operations, remember, the ATC guy is just suppose to control traffic, not make up rules. Now if all flight operations are canceled for whatever reason then that means drone flights are canceled. If the airport is IFR only due to visibility or surface ceiling then drone operations could be denied.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker