Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Government Snafu

JDSimpson

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this bill is reasonable and should be left to the FAA to determine Airspace.

Last edited:
I doubt if the FAA will relinquish control of the bottom 200 ft as it is critical around airports and for military exercises. I believe it is already possible for towns to have limited control over the lower altitudes as part of an operation agreement between the drone operator and town in the form of a launch and land permit within the town boundaries. You would only get the permit by signing and agreeing to certain stipulations -- like remaining above a certain altitude over private property. Just my thought on it.

Reactions: JDSimpson
Just another example of city/state lawyers trying to legislate another power grab seeking a future revenue source in the form of civil penalties without regard for existing law. Or cities/states that like wasting tax payer dollars in court battles they cannot win.

The thought of this type of Bill passing makes my stomach twist into knots! Good grief, if something like that passes, that would be terrible. So I'm glad to see the other posts suggest that that shouldn't happen, due to the FAA not relinquishing airspace control. That is comforting; I hope they're right.

Edit for grammar.

Reactions: JDSimpson
Don't see it. The FAA knows if they relinquish any airspace it becomes a slippery slope.
I so hope you are right BUT over the years I have seen things that you say no way in hell could something like that pass but low and behold they do.

Hey you political majors out there, its not the FAAs airspace, its the United States Airspace, and if the Senate Passes a LAW and it says that Federal Airspace begins at 200 feet, then Federal airspace begins at 200 feet, thus the FAA does not relinquish anything it just enforces airspace at 200 feet and up, It is the Congress that gives the FAA it authority, not the other way around. If you want to protect your right to fly then contact your senator and tell them not to vote in favor of this bill. I'll be starting to work with an activist group here in Cali and we will be putting together a form letter and website to protect our rights to earn an income. Look for it in about a month.

Reactions: AMann
I doubt if the FAA will relinquish control of the bottom 200 ft as it is critical around airports and for military exercises. I believe it is already possible for towns to have limited control over the lower altitudes as part of an operation agreement between the drone operator and town in the form of a launch and land permit within the town boundaries. You would only get the permit by signing and agreeing to certain stipulations -- like remaining above a certain altitude over private property. Just my thought on it.

Don't see it. The FAA knows if they relinquish any airspace it becomes a slippery slope.

The thought of this type of Bill passing makes my stomach twist into knots! Good grief, if something like that passes, that would be terrible. So I'm glad to see the other posts suggest that that shouldn't happen, due to the FAA not relinquishing airspace control. That is comforting; I hope they're right.

Edit for grammar.

As said before by skiptv, it’s not FAA’s call. They have to do what the house passes. Get involved and start writing your representatives.

Last edited:
I don't believe this bill is reasonable and should be left to the FAA to determine Airspace.

Well, if it passes it could be a big one affecting all of is in the US. If you don’t like it, please contact your representatives as soon as possible. Also, forward the link for Rep. Lee’s Bill to as many other drone and RC plane websites and pilots as you can, get them involved also.

Here is the bill’s actual text:

Get involved with this! Contact your representatives and let them know your opinion about it:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905