Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Handheld Radios for ATC

JDS

Reaction score
Hello All!

I was considering getting a handheld to monitor air traffic when I'm working within flight paths. What radios or listening apps do you guys use?

I am using the Yaesu FTA-450L radio. It works fine, but I added a magnetic mount antenna that greatly improved my ability to hear both ATC and the aircraft.

If possible, try using different brands first. I find the user interface less intuitive for the way my brain works, but haven’t had a chance to compare with any other brands to see if they may be better, worse, or just different. You can find reviews raving about the UI on any brand, so it is a personal perspective thing.

That said, it is setup for the airports I regularly fly adjacent to so it isn’t a problem in actual use.

Adding the external antenna was a good call. Lacking that or using them at higher altitudes their functionality is quite limited from the ground.

I used a handheld Icom aviation radio (118-136 MHz) as long as I worked as a flight-instructor for PPL. As a drone pilot I always bring it with me when I am in or near controlled areas just to listen to the traffic from the incoming and leaving planes. But the friends in the tower has asked me to use my cell-phone when talking to them for permission to fly in there airspace.

I use a Vertex Standard VXA -300 Pilot III works well and for app I use live ATC

I use a Vertex Standard VXA -300 Pilot III works well and for app I use live ATC

I use the VXA-300 Pilot III as well and they are good, compact handhelds; speaker/mic clips to a loop I have on the vest at my left shoulder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM