Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Has anyone successfully applied for a long-term night waiver?

rcdancer

Approved Vendor
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronesar.info
Has anyone successfully applied for a long-term night waiver (sometimes confusingly called a "day waiver")? The local SWAT team applied for a year-long waiver weeks ago and has yet to hear anything from the FAA. According to the Kittyhawk blog, "It was surprising to discover that only 16% of all waiver applications submitted have been approved and 80% of daylight waivers (the most popular and approachable waiver) are denied".

That doesn't bode well. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully applied for a long-term night waiver? You would think Law Enforcement would be a no-brainer.

I'm going to try securing a blanket waiver for DSAR pilots.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to submit for the 107.29 Daylight Waiver. A friend of mine had his approved after his second attempt. It takes a while, like 3 months. If you get denied, the FAA tells you exactly why so you can fix your application and resubmit and wait an additional 3 months. Hoping I get it right the first time. He's a Fire Fighter. I don't believe being a cop, fire fighter, or uber driver matters when applying, but others here would know more than me.

I've got a ~107.29 that has been good for the last 2 years and I think it still has a year (or two) left on it. I'm not in my office and don't have my flight bag to verify but I will and report back to this thread.

Reactions: rcdancer
The laws have been relaxed here in the UK, it’s now possible to fly at night as long as you detail in your Ops manual how you will do so safely. It used to be only 1 hour before sunrise & 1 hour after sunset, without an upgrade to your standard VLOS license.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully applied for a long-term night waiver?

We applied shortly after commercial operations became legal under part 107 and we're approved, I believe until 2022. We were very thorough and focused on safety. Who you are doesn't play such a big role in the decision to grant waivers, safety does however.

We helped the Memphis Fire Department get theirs after being denied a few times. Safety first!

We applied shortly after commercial operations became legal under part 107 and we're approved, I believe until 2022. We were very thorough and focused on safety. Who you are doesn't play such a big role in the decision to grant waivers, safety does however.

We helped the Memphis Fire Department get theirs after being denied a few times. Safety first!

Thanks. I tried to be exhaustive on the safety aspect. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: WVDronePilot
We have one too. Good through 2022. I used resources found for free from DroneU and others. I believe it was a Youtube video a couple years ago.

Focus on safety and procedure. Put in hypothetical questions and answer them. Good luck.

Has anyone successfully applied for a long-term night waiver (sometimes confusingly called a "day waiver")? The local SWAT team applied for a year-long waiver weeks ago and has yet to hear anything from the FAA. According to the Kittyhawk blog, "It was surprising to discover that only 16% of all waiver applications submitted have been approved and 80% of daylight waivers (the most popular and approachable waiver) are denied".

That doesn't bode well. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully applied for a long-term night waiver? You would think Law Enforcement would be a no-brainer.

I'm going to try securing a blanket waiver for DSAR pilots.
??? Day waivers are a piece of cake' I've written four (one, my business, 3 public safety agencies-every application came back for additional information) but all approved. they are good for 4 years. Perhaps because they were written by SWAT cops???? (sorry).
That stat does not sound right; sounds more like 80% were returned for more information, eventually approved.

Is it possible to get a daylight waiver for a lone operator? I mean, is a separate visual observer required?

Is it possible to get a daylight waiver for a lone operator? I mean, is a separate visual observer required?

I would say Night Operations (while not actually noted as such) will require (aka get denied w/o) at least a single VO. Our SOP is to have at least 2 VO's if not more for all night ops.

With all the ones I've seen denied that include a VO I just don't see one getting approved with no VO. Nor would I recommend it either . . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM