Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Have you used an iphone to capture video?

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I'm pretty amazed by the quality of the video of my new iphone and have since seen many youtube videos comparing iphone quality video vs dslr video.

I've recently begun doing more video with my drone and would like to integrate ground video with it. I'm leaning towards using an iphone for that part because of the convenience and lower cost for a gimbal.

Just curious if anyone here is using an iphone to record video and if so how the footage looks when combined with that of a Phantom 4 Pro or better.

I recently flew my P4P on a job in Montana. Part of that was to film our field people working (circling around them, following them, etc.). I also used an iPhone X to capture some ground video and photos of them at work, using a hand-held gimbal. I find that the iPhone produces greater color saturation. For example, the guys were sampling a number of wells (basically pipes sticking up out of the ground) that were painted bright yellow. My P4P captured the yellow color, I think pretty representative of it. But the well color seen on the iPhone video and images was a more intense yellow with most colors in the photo being more intense. I'm sure adjustments can be made afterwards on the iPhone and in post-production, but colors straight from the drone and iPhone I have found to be a bit different in intensity. Haven't put together a compiled video yet, but I can see a difference when viewed separately. Another thing that will affect the coloring is filming on different days with varying sky and lighting conditions.

Thanks for the comments. I found an app that I think is called "Filmic Pro" that can be used among many other things, to flatten the colors and then adjust them in post. Other than the colors, what about the detail compared to that from your P4P?

Hard to say because they were each used from very different distances, but when put together in a video the resolutions blend well as long as you had both equipment in focus when shooting. I'm new at using a P4P and occasionally forget to tap the screen to focus before filming.

If you are flying the Man Pro 2 with the one inch sensor, it not going to match up, not even close. If You have a Man Pro 1, or a Zoom, you should be fine. The iPhone even though it shoots in 4K as a very very small 'sensor' The Mavs 1 and Zoom also have a small sensor though not as small as the iPhone. However the videos match up pretty well. I find for my audience when I use a phone that I 'do not try' and match it up. Let them know it was shot on the phone, as it maps down expectations, and for gods sake shoot with the phone in a horizontal position not vertical.

Are you doing paid work with your iphone?

I certainly dont show up at a paid shoot filming with and iPhone, as long as I know the client is going to be there, or its in a pubic forum. Seeing a professional use an iPhone to shoot a 'paid' project does not look the least bit professional. However, If I am on a location where it doesn't matter what I or my gear look like, then I pull out the best, fastest and easiest piece of equipment that fits the job. So lets say I have to shoot an interior of a house for a realtor, I can easily get the shots and videos I need with an iPhone, if the realtor is going to be there I bring my Panasonic Lumix Camera, if its a TV commercial, I'll bring my Red.... :)

I have a clip-on wide-angel lens, but only use it on rare occasions if I need to get more real estate into the shot. I've seen the Osmo, but don't need it. I already have an iPhone that takes 4K and have a gimbal for it.

I shoot video on a Iphone every time I do a Real Estate Shoot. The camera is amazing.

Get yourself a mobile gimbal and it really looks good.

I've seen video online using an iphone and a gimbal and it looks fantastic.

But I'm also very intrigued by the new Osmo Pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV