Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hawks & seagulls

See & Avoid... unfortunately they are much better pilots than we can even begin to imagine. Give em lots of space and they fly faster and are much more agile that you think.

I've been asked to bid on a recurring project that is adjacent to an area where hawks fly and have taken down drones. Would prefer not to decline the job but if I can't learn of mitigation measures, I may need to.

No Hawks but plenty of gulls round here...I try and keep well away and once read that the best evasive action was to fly vertically upwards if threatened...they can't do that!

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah what was said earlier, climb to get away. If you see the bird flying above your drone be on alert they like to swoop in.

Or put two giant eyes (stickers or paint or something) on your drone looking up.

It helps keep some ambush predators from striking. They don't like to attack when they are being watched. No guarantees on this but a cheap trick I have used on my Sensefly eBee ever since it got hit by a hawk in the desert. No more attacks since then, no idea if it works though but it hasn't failed yet. :D

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah what was said earlier, climb to get away. If you see the bird flying above your drone be on alert they like to swoop in.

Or put two giant eyes (stickers or paint or something) on your drone looking up.

It helps keep some ambush predators from striking. They don't like to attack when they are being watched. No guarantees on this but a cheap trick I have used on my Sensefly eBee ever since it got hit by a hawk in the desert. No more attacks since then, no idea if it works though but it hasn't failed yet. :D
20170222_103418.jpg

I've heard of this technique several times and it makes sense too. I'd say in certain instances it might not be effective (if in protective mode vs predatory etc) but it would be cheap and easy to implement on almost any aircraft.

@Moosewax it's good to hear you've had positive results from this experiment. If you find otherwise let us know.

They sell the "Wobbly Eyes" in many different sizes at most Craft Supply stores. They are cheap and self adhesive but I'd add a small drop of glue just to be safe.

I also use the eyes. Haven't been attacked since adding them years ago, but nothing circling around it to test the theory either, though I do fly in remote areas with wilderness at times. I agree with BigAl07. It might work in predator situations, but very unlikely to work in protective situations. Best to stay far clear of known nesting areas. The eyes on mine are decals I just Googled and printed out.
IMG_0030.JPG

I also use the eyes. Haven't been attacked since adding them years ago, but nothing circling around it to test the theory either, though I do fly in remote areas with wilderness at times. I agree with BigAl07. It might work in predator situations, but very unlikely to work in protective situations. Best to stay far clear of known nesting areas. The eyes on mine are decals I just Googled and printed out.
View attachment 483

Lovin' those eyes!

View attachment 483

Those are way better than my white tape with black sharpie eyes :)

I've only encountered hawks interested in my drone twice. You notice them slowly getting closer as they check it out. In each case I decided to land the drone. Don't know if I was just lucky, but both times the hawk lost interest and flew away.

I like the eyes trick very much. I will incorporate them and hope for the best.

Thanks!

432E5B44-9D85-4A67-B63C-ABB916F188B5.jpeg Have my Inspire 1 decal as an eagle. So far so good. Hopefully no encounter with another eagle looking for love!

Sparrow missiles, might help! Lol, sorry couldnt help myself.

In my area I deal with red tail hawks all the time, and eagles once in a while. Most of the time they just seem curious. I try to stay out of their way in the most part. You will not out maneuver a hawk or eagle, but you can climb faster than they can, the problem is if a hawk attacks he will attack from above as will the eagle.
Never fly close to their nests while their raising babies, they will definitely attack you. I have encountered sea gulls at at the coast many times, they don't seem to be a threat, just try to avoid them.
What I have done in the past with hawks, is just land and wait for them to move on.

Reactions: clolsonus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV