Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Heli Pads and 107 Rules

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
I think I know the answer to this, but am looking for some corroboration. I am looking at a portfolio shoot I have been planning for a while now. Looking at the sectional, I have been ignoring the magenta H in a circle until recently. This is a sea-level helipad for a small hospital 800 meters ('bout 1/2 mile) away from my planned launch site. Obviously spontaneously used for patient transfers, accident victims, etc. and is on a seacoast peninsula.

Are these considered "airports" by definition as it pertains to Part 107? My site is in Class echo airspace (700 to 1400 agl). In the attachment, the yellow line is a distance marker from launch to Helopad, with the Helopad at the top of the line. My flight does not move a foot above the start point and proceeds mostly due south from the bottom mark. I suspect that matters not.

This is a no-go, right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.18.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.18.40 AM.png
    751.3 KB · Views: 14
I think I know the answer to this, but am looking for some corroboration. I am looking at a portfolio shoot I have been planning for a while now. Looking at the sectional, I have been ignoring the magenta H in a circle until recently. This is a sea-level helipad for a small hospital 800 meters ('bout 1/2 mile) away from my planned launch site. Obviously spontaneously used for patient transfers, accident victims, etc. and is on a seacoast peninsula.

Are these considered "airports" by definition as it pertains to Part 107? My site is in Class echo airspace (700 to 1400 agl). In the attachment, the yellow line is a distance marker from launch to Helopad, with the Helopad at the top of the line. My flight does not move a foot above the start point and proceeds mostly due south from the bottom mark. I suspect that matters not.

This is a no-go, right?

Basically the only thing that matters for a Part 107 operation is AIRSPACE CLASSIFICATION! If it's indeed Class-700 then as long as you fly below 700' AGL always remain clear of all other aircraft you are meeting the legal MINIMUMS.

Now is it a good idea to try and make notification to the heliport (or most likely the controlling entity which is most likely NOT located at the heliport) prior to and just after your operation? Absolutely. It may take a few different phone calls to get to the right people but it's well worth the efforts.

We established an agreed upon protocol with our local MediVac (MAMA Emergency & Trauma Care | Mission Health ) a few years back and still adhere to it to this day. On numerous occasions they have contacted me when the HELO was inbound in our direction. It's worked without fail and we still make contact just prior to flights commencing and immediately afterwards. As like anything else, YMMV.

In my experience here in SoCal, there are a thousand heliports listed, but many are inactive or just don't care. I think you call the number, leave a message, or try to persuade the disinterested person on the other end that you are serious. In that case, document the date-time-contact info and fly.

I've been facing this same issue. B4UFly will tell me I'm within 5 miles of an airport yet its not shown on a sectional chart. Turns out it's a Heli pad for hospital and trying to get contact info for them is a nightmare.

There's even one Heli pad symbol that's in the parking lot of a condo complex. I checked...it was a Hyundai.

I've been facing this same issue. B4UFly will tell me I'm within 5 miles of an airport yet its not shown on a sectional chart. Turns out it's a Heli pad for hospital and trying to get contact info for them is a nightmare.

There's even one Heli pad symbol that's in the parking lot of a condo complex. I checked...it was a Hyundai.
Unless it has changed B4uFly (which is junk IMHO) is for HOBBY operations only (hence the 5 mile from airport notification).

Reactions: Avocet
Unless it has changed B4uFly (which is junk IMHO) is for HOBBY operations only (hence the 5 mile from airport notification).
Pretty much. I mostly use the map feature that has a handy distance measuring tool.

Reactions: BigAl07
One thing that the FAA does really poorly is Heliports. There is apparently no reliable info as to what is and what is not.

Call the number, leave a message if you can, FILE A NOTAM, and fly.
It’s hard NOT to hear a helicopter. When you hear one, take immediate appropriate action.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services