Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from Kentucky

Airmapper

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently studying for the Part 107 Remote Pilot / sUAS rating test. I wouldn't say I'm all in just yet, but I've started by getting the ASA study guide to help prepare for the test, and joined here as a way to get a feel for the world of commercial flying.

I'm still somewhat apprehensive but I've been considering the Part 107 certification for some time. I don't really know yet specifically how I'll use my certificate should I get it, but I think successfully obtaining the certificate is probably the most important first step. I think I find the potential business end more daunting than the FAA end.

I currently have a Blade Chroma, the older 1080p camera version. Been flying it for fun over a year now, having a ball with it. Enough situations have arisen where someone has suggested I do this or that for other parties I've had to decline because I was just a hobbiest, and I'm kind of getting tired of having to turn down the idea of making money with it, or even just flying it for free for a purpose. The local Emergency Manager is one person who suggested to me he could use another name to call on for drone needs. This is probably the closest I've come to having an activity I enjoy doing with the potential of making income instead of being dead expense, or actually being useful outside goofing off.

I have some manned flight experience which makes me feel better about the test material. In my teens I took flying lessons, never got my Private Pilot's license (something else I hope to go for at some point) but I had a student pilot rating and could fly in controlled airspace, had quite a bit of solo time under my belt, and 250+ landings. The main reason I gave it up because flying a real plane was a bit too expensive a hobby to maintain by itself, and I didn't have any particular goal or plan to make money off it. Flying drones could be a door back into aviation for me potentially, at least that is what I would like for it to be.

Looking forward to browsing this forum and finding some insight on what I may be getting myself into should I proceed.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge, for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

Allen

Hello all,

I'm currently studying for the Part 107 Remote Pilot / sUAS rating test. I wouldn't say I'm all in just yet, but I've started by getting the ASA study guide to help prepare for the test, and joined here as a way to get a feel for the world of commercial flying.

I'm still somewhat apprehensive but I've been considering the Part 107 certification for some time. I don't really know yet specifically how I'll use my certificate should I get it, but I think successfully obtaining the certificate is probably the most important first step. I think I find the potential business end more daunting than the FAA end.

I currently have a Blade Chroma, the older 1080p camera version. Been flying it for fun over a year now, having a ball with it. Enough situations have arisen where someone has suggested I do this or that for other parties I've had to decline because I was just a hobbiest, and I'm kind of getting tired of having to turn down the idea of making money with it, or even just flying it for free for a purpose. The local Emergency Manager is one person who suggested to me he could use another name to call on for drone needs. This is probably the closest I've come to having an activity I enjoy doing with the potential of making income instead of being dead expense, or actually being useful outside goofing off.

I have some manned flight experience which makes me feel better about the test material. In my teens I took flying lessons, never got my Private Pilot's license (something else I hope to go for at some point) but I had a student pilot rating and could fly in controlled airspace, had quite a bit of solo time under my belt, and 250+ landings. The main reason I gave it up because flying a real plane was a bit too expensive a hobby to maintain by itself, and I didn't have any particular goal or plan to make money off it. Flying drones could be a door back into aviation for me potentially, at least that is what I would like for it to be.

Looking forward to browsing this forum and finding some insight on what I may be getting myself into should I proceed.

Welcome, this is a great way to get back into aviation. I was an aircraft mechanic/private pilot that retired in 2004. Until 2013 I was not involved in aviation since I retired. The sUAS systems that I started flying for fun back in 2013 with the original Phantom 1 (version none) had sparked a new interest for me and created many new avenues to pursue. We hope you can find a similar experience.

Jim

Last edited:
Welcome! I grew up with a father that did some flight training in WW 2. He ended up being a navigator on a B 24. Then he and my brother built an ultralight and flew around the local area. I decided to get my Recreational Pilot's license, so I could fly it. I ended up buying into a flying club my instructor was in. We had a Piper J 5, a basic 2 seater with no radio. The club sold the plane after a few years, and disbanded. I never did fly the ultralight. So, when this drone stuff took off, I thought I might as well put that license and experience to use and get a Part 107.

Wow, 250 landings, and you didn't get your ticket, hang in there and get it. If you are ex military your GI bill will pay for 90% of your instrument, commercial, multi-engine, and possibly your ATP ratting. Want to have fun flying and making money, get into crop dusting depending on where you live, pays well, and you actually fly the plane instead of letting auto do it.

Thought I would go back to my introductory thread to update it with the news I passed my sUAS exam today. I scored a 97% Now just have my fingers crossed for the rest of the process.

I didn't feel the test was awful, only 2 questions gave me pause, which might be the 2 I missed.

I used the King course to help prepare. I don't think it was entirely necessary to pass but it helped a lot with retaining information and knowing the base material.

I put it off since I first joined here, which I regret, but better late than never.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned with the future of Remote pilots, and the field in general, but I think we all are at this point.

So a late thanks for the welcome, you never know when it might stick in someone's mind and the encouragement used at a later time.

Thought I would go back to my introductory thread to update it with the news I passed my sUAS exam today. I scored a 97% Now just have my fingers crossed for the rest of the process.

I didn't feel the test was awful, only 2 questions gave me pause, which might be the 2 I missed.

I used the King course to help prepare. I don't think it was entirely necessary to pass but it helped a lot with retaining information and knowing the base material.

I put it off since I first joined here, which I regret, but better late than never.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned with the future of Remote pilots, and the field in general, but I think we all are at this point.

So a late thanks for the welcome, you never know when it might stick in someone's mind and the encouragement used at a later time.
Kudos for passing & Great Score

Reactions: Airmapper
Thought I'd update this again, it's been a passive goal and slowly brewing, but I'm happy to say I now have a few flights under my belt actually doing drone work as part of a real job. In a field saturated with lots of people wanting to get in, I have to say I'm a bit surprised at having a legitimate gig so soon, and I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit nervous about it, however it's a new and growing field and there is only one way to gain experience.

Nothing too intense so far, just some simple video and still photos for industrial real estate. Still trying to learn my workflow and gain experience, which is tough when it's not exactly a field where you have a lot of colleagues to compare notes with in person. Of course drone pilot is not the main part of my job right now, I had other complimentary skills and formal education that apply to my position, but I'm the only licensed pilot in a civil engineering firm so I'm now the go to "drone guy" in addition to my in office functions.

Remains to be seen how it progresses, but I'm optimistically cautious. Having Part 107 credentials I believe played a significant role in getting me hired, it was a feather in my cap for sure. Utilizing drones as a tool has kind of been a struggle for the company best I can tell, they have shelled out a lot of money for poor results in the past. For the moment though I've pushed an idea of cautiously expanding capabilities and avoiding just throwing money at it, I'm slowly building capabilities on my own which if it works out I'll use on projects when it seems productive.

I grabbed a photo of a good day not in the office. Snagged one of the company trucks to get to a site off pavement, in the photo I'm using my personal Mavic 2 Pro because it's video is just so good. The company had an older Phantom 4 Pro I brushed the dust off of and am putting into service as well, but the camera on it just isn't on par with my Mavic 2, and I really wanted our client to get the better quality.

Funny, I felt a little silly donning my yellow vest, I've had that since I got my Part 107 and never wore it. It has the FAA pilot jargon on it and "Do not disturb" but I guess it does add an additional touch of professionalism in that setting. Guess it's legit, actually it did come in quite handy, it has nice pockets....

DJI_0795.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV