Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from Michigan!

SteveyG

Reaction score
My son and I recently completed part 107. I knew nothing of drones 5 months ago, took the class so that they had enough students for my son to complete the course (local community college). Then, the bug hit! Bought a MA2 for recreational flying, now thinking of next steps. My background is investment management; lots of contacts in various industries, little transferable skills in drone use. Looking at a certificate in geomatics, thermal certificate as places to start, but do not want to go too far down the rabbit hole with no end-game plan. I live between two large cities and a lot of farm land. As I am quickly realizing, the value is in the data and interpretation, not in the drone flight itself. Hoping to learn from others' experiences and contribute. Next purchase likely a Phantom 4 due to its utility.

Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Reactions: Mavikhan
Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363
Thank you!

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome, with an investment background that is a plus, you understand it takes money to make money. There are plenty of threads hear about various drone applications. Don't waste your time with real estate. Construction, cell tower inspections, and power line inspections, and mapping seem to be areas with a good potential profit.
Be sure to develop the flying and photography skills before you start seeking work. You don't need to be a professional photographer but you need a basic understanding of photography and video.
I was contracted to Multivista for two and half years doing construction documentation and it paid very well, and it gave me a great deal of experience that I needed.
Wish you the best of luck.

Welcome, with an investment background that is a plus, you understand it takes money to make money. There are plenty of threads hear about various drone applications. Don't waste your time with real estate. Construction, cell tower inspections, and power line inspections, and mapping seem to be areas with a good potential profit.
Be sure to develop the flying and photography skills before you start seeking work. You don't need to be a professional photographer but you need a basic understanding of photography and video.
I was contracted to Multivista for two and half years doing construction documentation and it paid very well, and it gave me a great deal of experience that I needed.
Wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for the advice! I try to practice daily, weather permitting. My son is the photo/video/editor goto currently, with some pretty mad FPV/flying skills. Currently researching options for me to learn the photo side. Ultimate goal is to build something for him to pursue and enjoy, as college was not for him. I would love to make it full-time, but probably not in the cards anytime soon.

I do understand that college isn't for everyone, but it sure opens doors that are otherwise closed.
It is pretty difficult to make it full time. After I retired and did all the after retirement things, I was bored so I got into the home inspection business. Worked with a season inspector for five months then put out my own shingle. I got tired of climbing on roofs so I put the drone to work doing the exterior roof inspections, also built a rover for crawl spaces and that proved a tremendous tool due to the fact rattle snakes liking crawl spaces and I don't like rattle snakes.
My point to all this is it seems the best way to use drones is to use them in whatever field your in, or to get the training to do specific inspections that not everyone and there brother can do.
Mapping is a two edge sword because you can not claim your mappings are survey grade unless you are a licensed surveyor and create mappings that meet their requirements.
My family is in the farming and ranching business and that is a very hard sell, at least here in California it is. However my wife's cousin is now using a drone to find his stray cattle.
Your knowledge of investment and business could go a long ways to helping some of the folks on this forum understand business principles and what it takes to create a successful business.
Best of luck to you and your son.

Welcome to the group and if we can help you at Florida Drone Supply let us know. Members of the forums get special pricing and deals when available.

Mike D

Reactions: Mavikhan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W6TDN