Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from Sacramento, California

Greg Stidham

Reaction score
Website
www.gregstidham.com
I've been a member here for a while now so I thought I'd introduce myself. I appreciate all the interesting conversations you guys have here and I've learned a lot about the different uses you all have with your sUAS in the commercial environment and your approach to staying FAA compliant.

Thanks!

I've had my part 107 for about a year now. I use it for my commercial photography and video business near Sacramento. Below is a link to a sample video I put together last year that features work I enjoy photographing. I own a Mavic 2 Pro. It is my first sUAS.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Welcome, nice feeling to that video indeed. As being a Sac Native, I recognize many of those shots, including the drawbridge over Steamboat Slough, Hwy 5 background in tomato harvesting. Not sure how you got away with the grass fire shots. They are great, but I assumed that was frowned upon.
Anyway, I'm now above Yuba City at the base of Sutter Buttes. Nothing but open space and green grass this time of year. If you want some airtime up here, let me know and we can explore some back roads for epic shots.
Ok, saw your profile photo. That explains the grass fire shots.

Welcome, nice feeling to that video indeed. As being a Sac Native, I recognize many of those shots, including the drawbridge over Steamboat Slough, Hwy 5 background in tomato harvesting. Not sure how you got away with the grass fire shots. They are great, but I assumed that was frowned upon.
Anyway, I'm now above Yuba City at the base of Sutter Buttes. Nothing but open space and green grass this time of year. If you want some airtime up here, let me know and we can explore some back roads for epic shots.
Ok, saw your profile photo. That explains the grass fire shots.
Hi DeltaDave,
Thanks for the kind review on my shots.

Yes, shooting grass fires with drone is usually not allowed without permission, especially during a TFR, but I was on a job working with the fire department for that controlled burn so I took the opportunity to shoot some stuff for myself.

Nice, I'm trying to place that substation, but the foothills all look similar.

.....I was on a job working with the fire department for that controlled burn so I took the opportunity to shoot some stuff for myself.

Very smart move. I always capture some "B-Roll" on almost every non-sensitive shoot I do. One of my most popular (and most profitable) pictures I've ever taken was shot during a live SAR for an injured hiker from the Blue Ridge Parkway (NFZ).

Very smart move. I always capture some "B-Roll" on almost every non-sensitive shoot I do. One of my most popular (and most profitable) pictures I've ever taken was shot during a live SAR for an injured hiker from the Blue Ridge Parkway (NFZ).
It was an interesting day for sure. There were 4 drones from various agencies flying in this tiny area during the prescribed burn. Being able to fly during actual fires is near impossible, especially right over them like I did, so I spent some extra time during mop up to shoot more cinematic stuff.

Here's a link to the 2 minute video I put together from my favorite shots. I also used audio that I recorded earlier in the day. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Reactions: BigAl07
It was an interesting day for sure. There were 4 drones from various agencies flying in this tiny area during the prescribed burn. Being able to fly during actual fires is near impossible, especially right over them like I did, so I spent some extra time during mop up to shoot more cinematic stuff.

Here's a link to the 2 minute video I put together from my favorite shots. I also used audio that I recorded earlier in the day. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Good job. I like the idea of using the audio track. It def adds some "interest" to the video.

Thanks for sharing :)

BTW, @Greg Stidham what aircraft are you flying for this? Sorry if you already said.... it's Monday morning LOL.

Nice video, I'm just south of you in Mariposa county. I'm on the volunteer fire department and we are now also working with CDF at times. Needless to say they do not want drones during fires where retardants are being dropped. Talking with the chief they are becoming open to the idea of using drones, our sheriffs department is already using a drone.

BTW, @Greg Stidham what aircraft are you flying for this? Sorry if you already said.... it's Monday morning LOL.

Mavic 2 Pro with ND filter 30fps @ f5.6. I prefer to shoot the center crop 4K for the longer lens parallax effect. I only shoot the FOV when I’m at 400ft and still need a wider lens to get everything I want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy