Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

help to fill out this cheat sheet

lalvar41

Reaction score
Website
www.westonaerialphoto.com
I would like to have this table correctly completed as it is key in order to take the test. Please, if you don't know or are not completely sure do not comment.

MSL or AGL
The little number besides the airport name: ?
The numbers in brackets in the airspace to indicate ceiling and floor: MSL x 100
Obstructions, towers: AGL x 1
Numbers in the colored map or areas to indicate elevation: ?
Altimeter at airplane: ?
Altimeter at DJI phantom: ?

Magnetic or True
degrees

Direction of wind in the METAR code: ?
Heading of runway at airport ( the number on the runway): Magnetic x 10
Devices in the airport to measure wind direction: ?
Compass at airplane: Magnetic

Thanks in advance

I would like to have this table correctly completed as it is key in order to take the test. Please, if you don't know or are not completely sure do not comment.

MSL or AGL
The numbers in brackets in the airspace to indicate ceiling and floor: MSL x 100

Magnetic or True
degrees

Thanks in advance

Honestly, this is something that should reside in your head and you should be able to recall it on demand. They aren't going to allow a cheat sheet. My proctor site had cameras watching my every move while I took the test. If you don't understand the basics, my best advise is to find another teaching method that makes this information understandable. Bottom line is if you can't understand a sectional chart you are not ready to take the test. Most of the test is rules and regs and sectional charts. Courses can be a little expensive (150-300 dollars) but the investment is well worth the cost. The exam is $150 per attempt, pass or fail. It's always better to pay once.

Honestly, this is something that should reside in your head and you should be able to recall it on demand. They aren't going to allow a cheat sheet. My proctor site had cameras watching my every move while I took the test. If you don't understand the basics, my best advise is to find another teaching method that makes this information understandable. Bottom line is if you can't understand a sectional chart you are not ready to take the test. Most of the test is rules and regs and sectional charts. Courses can be a little expensive (150-300 dollars) but the investment is well worth the cost. The exam is $150 per attempt, pass or fail. It's always better to pay once.
Definitely I did not explain myself right. I did not mean a cheat sheet to take to the test. I meant a little table to read at your leisure and have it handy to study. In my post, I tried to summarize the key indicators that may confuse you when answering UAS test questions as we are not real pilots. If you are sharp about the metrics I mentioned you will answer right many questions and can discard non-sense answers. That was the intention. I have my material, I have studied, I know the answers are some place, but I just wanted to build this summary table so everybody can benefit from.

... as we are not real pilots.

Actually, we are considered real pilots by the FAA with all the responsibilities that goes along with the certification. If I left the impression you were trying to cheat on the exam I apologize profusely. That was not the impression nor the point I was trying to make.
Back OT, you need to understand this information by looking at a sectional chart. What is given in MSL and what is actually AGL, and similar items. It will be on the test. The FAA is going to test your understanding and they do it pretty well. You are going to be turned loose in the NAS in the event that you pass the test and they want to ensure that you are not a danger to the public and general aviation. We want you to understand the concepts so you don't give us a black eye. There are enough of those clowns as it is...check YouTube. So don't lose sight of the fact that just because that you aren't sitting in a cockpit piloting a manned aircraft you are just a guy/gal flying a toy. You ARE a pilot; the UAS is an aircraft in the FAA's eyes, and its time to make that transition from hobbyist to UAS pilot.

Last edited:

MSL or AGL

Magnetic or True
degrees

Thanks in advance

As a student pilot it is okay to ask questions and build study guides. It is also very important to know where to find the information.

When I was getting my Airplane pilot certificate and even after I have found this FAA publication very useful as far as sectionals go:
FAA Aeronautical Chart User’s Guide
Most of your questions can be found in this guide, or in the Pilots Aeronautical Handbook

Altimeter in an airplane works on air pressure and is manually adjust by the pilot for the current barometer (weather air pressure). It reads MSL

Wind on the ground for for take off and landings is given in Magnetic.
Wind at flight altitudes is reported as True

Runway numbers are Magnetic North.
Because magnetic north shifts over time runways are subject to being renumbered from time to time. Important to have current chart.

Devices measuring wind direction vary airport to airport, ideally they all have a Wind Sock, Tetrahedron or Wind Tee

Gold Seal and other study programs are great. However all the info is online for free from the FAA. You can even find practice written tests online for free if you look.

When I got my private pilots certificate I used my instructor (Private guy not flight school) a couple books for studying and the Dauntless app on my phone for practice testing.
I also have used the Dauntless app for every FAA rating I have gotten since except the sUAS.
Dauntless does offer an sUAS app.

Unlike a student airplane pilot a student drone pilot typically doesn't have an instructor, which is why the Part 107 training programs are a really good idea.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: lalvar41

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905