Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hobbyist Fined For Not Registering Drone- A $2700 Fine By The FAA

LUIS MARTINEZ

Reaction score
Website
www.martinezaerial.com

Some times FAA actions impress me...some times they just make the Keystone cops look like Scotland Yard.
For the youngsters:

Reactions: Outta Control
I’m not so sure.....did you read the article @LUIS MARTINEZ ? Seems pretty flakey and not likely to hold up....

(I’m not calling you out....just that this particular case seems to have no teeth and is more akin to harassment than any actual violation....which apparently didn’t happen.)

This made the rounds on several FB groups a couple of weeks ago. Bottom line is it really happened, and the fines were not for failing to register directly. It was in doing so it flipped them into Part 107 and 107 was the basis for the fines. Problematic overall and a weird case for FAA to use as one of their first enforcement actions.

Since day one of Part 107 it's been stated numerous times that if you do not fit totally within the "protection" of 101 then you are, by default, flying under Part 107 rules. So if any portion of your flight bursts the protective bubble your are indeed "accountable' for all of Part 107.

So was "flying over people" the initial "Bubble Popper"?

I’m not so sure.....did you read the article @LUIS MARTINEZ ? Seems pretty flakey and not likely to hold up....

(I’m not calling you out....just that this particular case seems to have no teeth and is more akin to harassment than any actual violation....which apparently didn’t happen.)
" Exactly, perhaps you missed my sarcasm...

This made the rounds on several FB groups a couple of weeks ago. Bottom line is it really happened, and the fines were not for failing to register directly. It was in doing so it flipped them into Part 107 and 107 was the basis for the fines. Problematic overall and a weird case for FAA to use as one of their first enforcement actions.
Right on. The decision makers were out to lunch on this one, with so many better cases out there.

I think one of the main points of the article is that, yes, the FAA is willing to enforce their rules. Something some folks have been claiming would not likely happen. But I agree, you would think that they would be able to get it right if they want to set an example with the first few enforcements.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905