Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Houston Hobby Authorization Question

Z06Aggie

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience requesting ATC authorization within Houston Hobby Class B airspace? Their LAANC system is currently suspended (has been for a while) and I need to do a quick job near them, if possible.

My next step is to give them a call, just curious if anyone on here has any experience dealing with them, so I know what to expect, or don't even waste my time. lol

Thanks!

Just curious if anyone has experience requesting ATC authorization within Houston Hobby Class B airspace? Their LAANC system is currently suspended (has been for a while) and I need to do a quick job near them, if possible.

My next step is to give them a call, just curious if anyone on here has any experience dealing with them, so I know what to expect, or don't even waste my time. lol

Thanks!

If there is no LAANC service then you need to file for a COA via FAADroneZone
I don't know how long it will take for an initial approval. Just don't let it lapse if at all possible. Renewals are pretty fast.

10-4. I've been lucky so far, and haven't had to submit any DroneZone requests. Guess this will be my first!

Thanks!

We've been told we are not allowed to call the tower for airspace authorizations so we are left with (2) options. LAANC being the preferred and DroneZone is the backup (For now).

Reactions: Z06Aggie
Quick question regarding filling out the Drone Zone authorization request:

The current job I am trying to get airspace authorization for is a one time thing. Will probably take no more than 10 minutes of flying time. Not a recurring job. Inside of Class B airspace.

What would you suggest I put for frequency? Daily, monthly, etc. There is not an option for "single use". Also the start date and end date? Like I said, it's a one time job, take off, shoot a few photos and land.

Appreciate the help.

10-4. I've been lucky so far, and haven't had to submit any DroneZone requests. Guess this will be my first!

First check ArcGIS Web Application
Zoom in and ensure the access you are requesting does not fall within a -0- altitude box on the grid. For all non-zero altitude boxes you are limited to the published altitude of the grid. There is no deviation for buildings or other obstructions under a COA. Ask for a Wide Area authorization and the time limit should be a year. You might as well file for another for Ellington Field while you are at it. That way you are covered to fly in both non-LAANC areas. The rest of the airpatches fall under LAANC and you can do those request online a day or so in advance.

Quick question regarding filling out the Drone Zone authorization request:

The current job I am trying to get airspace authorization for is a one time thing. Will probably take no more than 10 minutes of flying time. Not a recurring job. Inside of Class B airspace.

What would you suggest I put for frequency? Daily, monthly, etc. There is not an option for "single use". Also the start date and end date? Like I said, it's a one time job, take off, shoot a few photos and land.

Appreciate the help.
Lots of -0- areas in the FAM, as you would expect. Where are you flying from?

1564503180596.png

This will help you if you don't already use this.
Click on layers for updated TFR's and more info. (Top right corner)
Zoom out and get world wide info also.

This will help you if you don't already use this.
Click on layers for updated TFR's and more info. (Top right corner)
Zoom out and get world wide info also.
Pretty handy website - thanks!

I have an airspace authorization for Hobby and call them quite regularly. They are usually very easy to work with. Let me know if you have any questions.

Even with authorization, having hell getting my P4P to unlock so I can fly. Keeps giving me a no fly zone warning and won’t take off.

Edit: update, finally got the geo zones unlocked and completed the project. That was a first for me, both getting dronezone approval and then having a locked drone. Learned a few things this week! Will be better. prepared for next time!

Thanks everyone who helped out on this one.

Last edited:
It's a hassle having to get FAA approval and then turn around and get DJI Approval (sort of).

Wait until you request (and you're authorized) to fly in an existing TFR.... it gets interesting LOL!

Full Disclaimer: I used to be opposed to "over riding" DJI's restrictions but I don't feel that way anymore. After having some difficulties getting some sUAS to fly in an EMERGENCY situation last week I have changed my thought process on this. If I'm authorized, credentialed, and requested then I accept FULL responsibility to fly following FAA Regulations and DJI shouldn't be involved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905