Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How and if at all is the virus affecting your business?

AH-1G

Reaction score
Website
digitalphotographypainting.weebly.com
Are you seeing a slow down in drone business? What other areas has the virus affected you?
My drone business has slowed down considerably this past week, and I don't see it picking up until this pandemic is over with.
For me, my short flying career came to a screeching halt, just when I was enjoying flying again.
I was watching Squawk Box this morning (financial news), Boing stocks down to $100 a share, from a high of 340ish.

Reactions: clintsito
Construction here in Austin, Texas and so far so good, but we see a downturn happening over the next couple of weeks if things stay on course. Luckily we fly for the company and external clients so plenty of drone work to do, but I don't expect we are going to pick up any more external business for about the next month.

Are you seeing a slow down in drone business? What other areas has the virus affected you?
My drone business has slowed down considerably this past week, and I don't see it picking up until this pandemic is over with.
For me, my short flying career came to a screeching halt, just when I was enjoying flying again.
I was watching Squawk Box this morning (financial news), Boing stocks down to $100 a share, from a high of 340ish.

As of tomorrow morning, we are going to go to half days and operating out of a dispersed location when we are in the office. That is the information as of today. Tomorrow, it will change again. As far as operations it has not affected me any. The weather has been lousy for the past few weeks and I have been shut down anyway. Construction still moves forward and we will too. At least all the endless meetings we go through have been cancelled....or rather moved to the web. Too bad my internet connection is so flaky....

Let's think creatively about what drones/pilots can do in this time of labor vs cash-flow burden! Especially if you are also a surveyor. We are very low cost particularly in the construction arena and can keep teams informed and projects under control as individuals/2-person teams that are not affected by others. What can you do for your team while everyone struggles to stay connected? Disclaimer is that I am also responsible for IT so those duties of keeping people connected with VPN and such are tough right now.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G
As of tomorrow morning, we are going to go to half days and operating out of a dispersed location when we are in the office. That is the information as of today. Tomorrow, it will change again. As far as operations it has not affected me any. The weather has been lousy for the past few weeks and I have been shut down anyway. Construction still moves forward and we will too. At least all the endless meetings we go through have been cancelled....or rather moved to the web. Too bad my internet connection is so flaky....
"Construction still moves forward and we will too "
You would think. I mean, those workers are out in the fresh air, plenty of "social distance" and all. But, I just had my sub put two of my sites on hold. Reason: Coronavirus. WTF?

Governor in MA has halted all Statewide Construction for next two weeks. I still see a lot of constructions vehicles heading into Boston at 4am with me :)

Every dilemma provides an opportunity. The entire world is currently staring at their media device in their hand for the foreseeable future. Take advantage of the free Advertising. I am digging through the thousands of photos I have taken of my local area. Posting on Social media with the first person to identify the location of the photo will win a $20 Dunkin Donuts gift card. Also called the Nursing Home near my house. Asked Management to take a pole of Residents and where they would like to visit within 100 miles. Plan is to go out and collect some video and post a reel for them to watch online in the next week.

You would think. I mean, those workers are out in the fresh air, plenty of "social distance" and all. But, I just had my sub put two of my sites on hold. Reason: Coronavirus. WTF?
We've had a couple pull off as well. In Central Texas they are now RECOMMENDING groups of less than 10, but when you look at construction sites there are rarely more than 5 together and should definitely have plenty of space between them. Those subs will be on notice pretty soon.

Reactions: AH-1G
Governor in MA has halted all Statewide Construction for next two weeks. I still see a lot of constructions vehicles heading into Boston at 4am with me :)

Every dilemma provides an opportunity. The entire world is currently staring at their media device in their hand for the foreseeable future. Take advantage of the free Advertising. I am digging through the thousands of photos I have taken of my local area. Posting on Social media with the first person to identify the location of the photo will win a $20 Dunkin Donuts gift card. Also called the Nursing Home near my house. Asked Management to take a pole of Residents and where they would like to visit within 100 miles. Plan is to go out and collect some video and post a reel for them to watch online in the next week.
That's what I'm talking about! Great thinking!

The weather has been more of an issue out here on the west coast, in construction the money has been spent/loans locked in, so finishing a project on time is more of an issue. Anytime their is a work stoppage that works against the developer as those loans come due anyway. Weather delays are factored in for a certain amount, but any additional incidents can sink a company.

Reactions: AH-1G and R Martin

I am safer outside than in the office. So if they require me to be here, then I'm grabbing the aircraft or a GPS unit and mapping my happy rear off until this is over or I keel over dead from cooties.

I teach at three universities so that is over for a while, I also fly/film for movies and TV shows, I was working on a show, and it stopped last week. So that is the bad, and its 60% of my income. However I have a construction project that I document monthly and that goes on, and I have been getting some local work from the local news. Stay Safe, Be Smart and wash your hands :)

Reactions: BigAl07
I was out yesterday getting some pictures of flood control location and people were quick to come outside and ask me question. Who I was, and why the drone, the most next common question was after I told them what I was check "Is the water ok?". People are on edge and waiting for the next shoe to drop.

You should have mentioned that toilet paper is now contaminated. LOL
I can't find any here in central Florida, people are hording it up!
That's spreading faster than the COVIN-19...lol. Stores are announcing 24 hours in advance when supplies will be in stock, so people can get in line the next day.

That's spreading faster than the COVIN-19...lol. Stores are announcing 24 hours in advance when supplies will be in stock, so people can get in line the next day.
I was at Publix the other morning, about 75 people were there before it opened, once opened people were pushing/squeezing each other to get in.? Ridiculous! ?

Most of my work is for the food industry in OZ. The sites are shutting down access to all visitors and contractors.

Thus far our "work" has been ongoing but that could change at any moment. I've been locked up inside or Emergency Operations Center 16hrs a day since Friday a week ago so my clients are patiently waiting but they are still willing to pay for our services so we can't complain. We headed out early Saturday morning and took care of our backlog in under 8 hours except one project that had to wait until yesterday.

I'm confident the above trend is very short lived but this will recover once we get on the other side of the craziness.

Last edited:
As of Wednesday we go virtual out of the house. I was declared (beknighted?) essential so I get to roam the Earth in search of answers. At least the majority of people will be gone so I'm not worried about it too much. This should blow over in a few more months and we can all look back on it and forget it.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Maybe blow over??? China has 46 new cases......
BEIJING, March 22 (Reuters) - China on Sunday reported 46 new cases of coronavirus, the fourth straight day of an increase, with all but one of those cases imported from overseas, according to the country’s National Health Commission.

The new cases recorded on Saturday compared with 41 reported the previous day.

Maybe blow over??? China has 46 new cases......
BEIJING, March 22 (Reuters) - China on Sunday reported 46 new cases of coronavirus, the fourth straight day of an increase, with all but one of those cases imported from overseas, according to the country’s National Health Commission.

The new cases recorded on Saturday compared with 41 reported the previous day.

Blow over. Three to six months and this should be dead and we go back to waiting for the new and improved version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy