Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How the FAA Is Ramping up Enforcements Against Drone Shootings and Illegal Drone Pilots

The FAA talks a good game but there's very little where the rubber meets the road. They only move when someone gives them a case wrapped up with a little red ribbon (someone else did all the work). The first and only time I ever bothered to report an incident to an FSDO they wanted name, address,date, time chapter and verse. That's akin a cop refusing to investigate a crime unless you bring him the culprit's name and address. The feds can blow smoke all they want but us professionals want to see actions, not tough talk at webinars. And I don't want to hear the manpower excuse. Either get it or shut up.

Here's another example... I've been waiting for the FAA statement they have assigned investigators to track down this clown. Enough with the "we are trying to educate the public" I want to see someone's g-o-n-a-d-s hanging from a flagpole! There, I feel better now :p

• Haha
Reactions: PatR and AH-1G
How many have ever seen an FAA, NTSB, DOJ, FBI, DHS, or even local law enforcement official take any interest in our activities? You would need to be repetitively blatant to even be a tiny blip on their radar.

A tiger without teeth or claws is nothing to be afraid of.

Reactions: AH-1G
I've mentioned this on other forum. My son is a police office, the last thing he and other officers are interested in, is chasing down drown pilots.
There are other more serious situations that have priority.
Unless a drone pilot is doing something stupid, like flying a drone down HWY 75.

Education isn't going to work! People are lazy, obstinate, egotistical, and couldn't give a d...
We see that everyday driving around and other laws being broken. Whey would they care about a measly drone?
Clearly, from your own examples, neither does the threat of enforcement. However, the FAA, unlike the police, have no police powers.

Part of the consumer drone demonization process and in a small way distracting the public from the relationship (can be interpreted as favoritism) they maintain with passenger aircraft manufacturers.

The FAA talks a good game but there's very little where the rubber meets the road.
I think if you pull back the curtain, you'll find that they're still overwhelmed and outmanned when it comes to enforcement. I've spoken to more than one FAA employee over the last 2 years who came clean with that admission.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think if you pull back the curtain, you'll find that they're still overwhelmed and outmanned when it comes to enforcement. I've spoken to more than one FAA employee over the last 2 years who came clean with that admission.
In terms of real risk (as opposed to speculative fear mongering by the media), it's also the least significant issue on their radar. The FAA is simply allocating scarce resources based upon real priority, rather than hype. They have decided that sUAV education and training is the most efficient use of FAA resources, instead of FAA enforcement.

It’s also the cheapest but they have too many with heavy iron interests encouraging excessive complexity to the education curriculum development, and one providing input intended to encourage legislative favor for their brand.

It’s also the cheapest but they have too many with heavy iron interests encouraging excessive complexity to the education curriculum development, and one providing input intended to encourage legislative favor for their brand.
Can't disagree. Well put!

Not sure the FAA has the ability to make a difference. It has to be an effort of collaboration between multiple administrations. Such as the FBI and local PD. The local chief of police must also educate the local community to make them aware of the law and the consequences to breaking them. The best voice might also be the NRA to its members.

As a pilot, I have had dealings with the FAA, and if I screw up they can pin my license to the wall. I'm not trying to make excuses for the lack of enforcement but like they said, they are not an enforcement agency. As stated getting local law enforcement involved is a joke unless it is something very serious.

The job site I work one of the local FAA folks came out and watched my operation, unknown to me at the time. When I was finished he introduced himself said he had no issues with what I was doing but had several complaints for the active college. I do not over fly the active college.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905