Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How to get photos from exact locations.

R.Perry

Reaction score
I was recently asked how I got what I refer to as Hotshot photos from the exact location, altitude, exact heading, and camera angle each time.
I know for you folks that are well versed, this is easy, but I thought I would post my procedure for anyone needing exact locations, and hopefully learn form the more professional photographers.
I have a client that insists that twelve of my photos on each visit are from the exact location, and as stated above, same heading, and camera angle.
I use a program called Litchi, I know there are others programs that will do the job, but that is what I use.

I first set the mission up by manually setting each waypoint. Then I input the exact GPS location, heading, and camera angle. This job has 12 hotspots. I allow myself 10 seconds on each location incase I need to make camera adjustments, and then take the photos manually. It also gives me enough time to take multiple photos at each location so I can later select the best one for the location.
The beauty of this is once you have the mission saved you can autonomously fly to each location, take your photo and the drone will move on to the next location, set you up with the right heading, altitude, and camera angle.

They want to use these photos for a time laps presentation at the completion of the project, and this should give the client exactly what they desire.
Also if many of you pros out there have other ideas, I would love to hear from you.

I was recently asked how I got what I refer to as Hotshot photos from the exact location, altitude, exact heading, and camera angle each time.
I know for you folks that are well versed, this is easy, but I thought I would post my procedure for anyone needing exact locations, and hopefully learn form the more professional photographers.
I have a client that insists that twelve of my photos on each visit are from the exact location, and as stated above, same heading, and camera angle.
I use a program called Litchi, I know there are others programs that will do the job, but that is what I use.

I first set the mission up by manually setting each waypoint. Then I input the exact GPS location, heading, and camera angle. This job has 12 hotspots. I allow myself 10 seconds on each location incase I need to make camera adjustments, and then take the photos manually. It also gives me enough time to take multiple photos at each location so I can later select the best one for the location.
The beauty of this is once you have the mission saved you can autonomously fly to each location, take your photo and the drone will move on to the next location, set you up with the right heading, altitude, and camera angle.

They want to use these photos for a time laps presentation at the completion of the project, and this should give the client exactly what they desire.
Also if many of you pros out there have other ideas, I would love to hear from you.
Litchi is great.

The only downside is that not all DJI products are compatible. As of January '21, these are the models that can be used:

Mavic Mini 1
Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro)
Mavic (Air/Pro)
Phantom 4 (Standard/Advanced/Pro/ProV2)
Phantom 3 (Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional)
Inspire 1 (X3/Z3/Pro/RAW)
Inspire 2
Spark

You can also try using our waypoints mission, we also support many more mission types and drones.

I use Litchi the the same way for construction progress. I set up waypoints to get identical shots, including panos, at each site visit. I'm sure HammerMissions has value, but a lifetime license for Litchi is less than your cheapest monthly plan.

Reactions: Snowghost
I use Litchi the the same way for construction progress. I set up waypoints to get identical shots, including panos, at each site visit. I'm sure HammerMissions has value, but a lifetime license for Litchi is less than your cheapest monthly plan.
Hi @AheadAir,

Grid Mapping, Waypoint, Orbit and 360 Bubble + Pano missions in Hammer are free :)

But we wouldn't recommend choosing us simply for that reason!

Reactions: Ajkm
Many of the Hammer options are free to use.

I have used Litchi for this in the past, but I found that the GPS and compass in the P4P are not very accurate from week to week or month to month, resulting in photos that are far enough off to not be useful for a time lapse.

You also have to be certain that you compensate at the beginning for the position and height of the buildings so the photos at the end show the entire project.

As I stated in the original post Litchi is just one tool and as already noted there are others that will do the job.
I think the forum should be for sharing experiences and learning from others.

This business is changing rapidly, I see many companies now having their own employees trained and licensed to do jobs like power line, cell phone tower inspections as well as other fields.

Construction seems to be an industry where more and more contractors are hiring drone companies to document their projects, and the ag business is now seeing some of the benefits of getting crop health reports, especially the large cooperate farms.
So we all keep looking for good tools to put in our bag for when they are needed.

This brings up a question I have. Considering the laws regarding surveying, is an RTK drone really worth the investment? My experience as been that my mappings were accurate enough for my previous and current clients needs. My clients primarily wanted pile, and volume reports plus the ability to download to CAD. I used the surveyors GCPs to keep the mappings as accurate as possible. Also many times the clients cooperate offices are hundreds of miles away and it gives the management the ability to see actual construction project, and identify potential problems ahead of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV