Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How to Start

PJ_la

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked 1000x times already, I searched through old posts and didn't see anything like this, so please bear with me.

1.) My goal is to find drone work in the following fields: Filmmaking, Insurance, Journalism or Construction -- Does anyone have experience in these fields? And if so, can you speak to what's expected and how the job market looks moving forward?

2.) I'm leaning towards purchasing a Mavic Pro 2 or Phantom 4 (from what little research I've seen, these are the most adaptable drones that can accomplish a variety of jobs) If anyone has these drones or can point out alternative choices please advise how long it took you to become confident enough to take your first paying job.

3.) I've seen some ads for "Drone Training Schools" such as UAV coach. Have any of you taken these courses? Are they worth it? (I honestly feel I could figure it out with the help of YouTube and trial & error) But then again I am new to all this so any advice regarding professional training is welcomed.

4.) This is meant for me to have as Freelance/part time work. While I'm currently jobless thanks to Covid-19 I feel like this would be a good time to learn a new skill I've always had interest in. For those who have made money from flying drones commercially; can you pass along any advice on how to get your first paying gig? (I don't expect to be rich doing this but I feel like if I don't start now I may never do so.

I'm sure I'm missing more subjects/topics for a newbie, so if there's any other advice/knowledge you could pass along for someone who truly wants to see this as more than a hobby, please leave a comment below, Thanks! :)

I just finished a 2 1/2 year job doing construction documentation using the Inspire 2. Now with that said I have compared the video quality and capabilities of the Inspire to my Mavic and to me there is a big difference, mainly in capabilities. The inspire is a lot more money, but to me it is professional grade, you can get an assortment of lenses for the Inspire, you can have a person operating the camera while you fly or visa versa.

I can only speak for Construction documentation and real estate, and in most cases don't waste your time with real estate, it doesn't pay. Construction can be very lucrative if you get in with the right company.

The first thing I would do is canvas the area you are in and see what opportunities may exist.
Since you are out of work, it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a drone and the extras and then not make enough to make ends meet.

You will need your 107 license and insurance to fly commercially, license is 150.00. I went to the Avion School in Huntsville, AL, very professional school, week long program, flying every day, plus classroom.

You need a good working knowledge of photography, and video, you don't need to be a pro, but understand the basics.

There is a lot more to it than just flying the drone and taking pictures. I would hate to see someone that is out of work attempt to jump into the business expecting to make money then end up in the hole.

I wish you the best of luck.

+1 on everything R.Perry said. For equipment, you can't beat the value of a Phantom 4 Pro for every application you described. Shop around and you probably can get a good used one for $600-$800. Facebook Marketplace has been a good source for me. For construction, you'll eventually want to get into mapping, and you'll want the mechanical shutter that comes with the P4P. But there are a LOT of additional costs involved with mapping, so don't try to start there if you're out of work.

Most important recommendation I can add to R.Perry's comments is to expect a slow growth path for revenue. Don't expect this to replace a day job any time soon. Tons of competition out there. Good Luck............ Bob R.

Reactions: PJ_la
Once you get your training and your Remote Pilot certificate out of the way, the fun really starts:

Thank you for that. Very helpful. I’ve seen a few specific to the UK that are very encouraging, but few that show the reality, hence why I asked here. I hope the answers help others in the future too.

Reactions: PJ_la
I just finished a 2 1/2 year job doing construction documentation using the Inspire 2. Now with that said I have compared the video quality and capabilities of the Inspire to my Mavic and to me there is a big difference, mainly in capabilities. The inspire is a lot more money, but to me it is professional grade, you can get an assortment of lenses for the Inspire, you can have a person operating the camera while you fly or visa versa.

I can only speak for Construction documentation and real estate, and in most cases don't waste your time with real estate, it doesn't pay. Construction can be very lucrative if you get in with the right company.

The first thing I would do is canvas the area you are in and see what opportunities may exist.
Since you are out of work, it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a drone and the extras and then not make enough to make ends meet.

You will need your 107 license and insurance to fly commercially, license is 150.00. I went to the Avion School in Huntsville, AL, very professional school, week long program, flying every day, plus classroom.

You need a good working knowledge of photography, and video, you don't need to be a pro, but understand the basics.

There is a lot more to it than just flying the drone and taking pictures. I would hate to see someone that is out of work attempt to jump into the business expecting to make money then end up in the hole.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up getting a Mavic Air 2 and really excited to begin flying as well as studying for the Part 107 test.

Reactions: swimpmeister

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy