Join our growing community today!

I'm just an avid droner . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
I was cold calling today and found a new job site that is going to be developed. I found the contact information for the developer and gave him a call. I gave him my name and what services I had to offer (Aerials of construction sites) and here's the conversation:

Me: "Good afternoon sir. I'm Allen and I'm with A Shot Above of WNC. We are a commercial aerial photography company utilizing drones to take high quality aerials photos, videos and making job site maps. I was wondering if you would be interested in seeing a sample of our work and how we can help your company save time and money going forward?"

Developer: "Oh I have a drone and I do all of the drone work for our company. I visit my jobs every 2 weeks and take pics and video and bring them back for our shareholders to review. It's amazing what I can do with this little phantom that I've been using for the last couple of years now."

Me: "that's awesome that you can do this as part of your business and have some fun. How long have you had your Part 107 license?"

Developer: "Oh I'm not a commercial drone operator. I'm just an AVID DRONER and I take pictures as a hobbyist only. It's not part of our business or anything."

Me: "That's interesting. Well here's my contact information ###-###-#### if you ever need a licensed Commercial Drone Professional don't hesitate to give me a call"

(line goes silent.....) LOL

I was cold calling today and found a new job site that is going to be developed. I found the contact information for the developer and gave him a call. I gave him my name and what services I had to offer (Aerials of construction sites) and here's the conversation:

Me: "Good afternoon sir. I'm Allen and I'm with A Shot Above of WNC. We are a commercial aerial photography company utilizing drones to take high quality aerials photos, videos and making job site maps. I was wondering if you would be interested in seeing a sample of our work and how we can help your company save time and money going forward?"

Developer: "Oh I have a drone and I do all of the drone work for our company. I visit my jobs every 2 weeks and take pics and video and bring them back for our shareholders to review. It's amazing what I can do with this little phantom that I've been using for the last couple of years now."

Me: "that's awesome that you can do this as part of your business and have some fun. How long have you had your Part 107 license?"

Developer: "Oh I'm not a commercial drone operator. I'm just an AVID DRONER and I take pictures as a hobbyist only. It's not part of our business or anything."

Me: "That's interesting. Well here's my contact information ###-###-#### if you ever need a licensed Commercial Drone Professional don't hesitate to give me a call"

(line goes silent.....) LOL
I'd turn his *** in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to get the guy in trouble will push him to get the license, not that I'm in agreement that someone should be required to be licensed to photograph their own property and their own work. The real issue is that he's doing the work himself and that he's happy with what he can do with his own drone and without paying someone else big bucks. See how much business you get from those you turn in, Grumpy.

Trying to get the guy in trouble will push him to get the license, not that I'm in agreement that someone should be required to be licensed to photograph their own property and their own work.

We are expected to "Self Police" and our industry has done this for decades and it's worked splendidly. I've been "turned in" (2x now) but fortunately I had every credential required and then some. If you're going to play with the big boys you need to follow the rules just like the rest of the big boys do.

Let's just say our FSDO got some information on a company that should be looked into :)

See how much business you get from those you turn in, Grumpy.

I anticipate ZERO business from this company what so ever. They are from out of town and apparently have no regard for morals or laws. This job is most likely a one-and-done for them in our area so I feel very confident I've not shot myself in the foot by doing the right thing here.

One day I see my pastor flying a drone around our church. I say, "Hello Father, what are you doing?"

He says, "I just bought this drone and I'm having some fun flying it around."

The next day I see him flying the drone around the church doing the exact same flight patterns and I say, "Hello father, are you enjoying your drone?"

He says, "Yes, it's not only fun, but I've been taking some nice photos to put in the bulletin, and I'll also use them to document the construction that's going on."

Then I realized my pastor is a criminal and I went home and reported his sorry *** to the FAA. I feel real good about my police work. Meanwhile some kid is also flying his drone around the church but he's good to go since he's not doing anything useful.

The way I see it there is a difference between policing for the sake of safety and spiteful policing because someone is taking "our" business. I'm not going to police anyone who is flying their drone safely, regardless of what their reasons are. Not until EVERYONE has to be licensed.

The way I see it there is a difference between policing for the sake of safety and spiteful policing because someone is taking "our" business. I'm not going to police anyone who is flying their drone safely, regardless of what their reasons are. Not until EVERYONE has to be licensed.

You do realize that as of last week everyone will have to take and pass a test?

You handle things your way and I’ll handle things my way. You bust the regs knowingly and I’ll be nice enough to make the needed phone calls.

Good point BigA107! Look, we all have responsibilities, business, government, taxes, licenses, and we all have to abide by them even if we don't necessarily agree with them. I'm with Al on this one. Can you imagine a Dr. not being licensed and trained? or an attorney? No. We have regulations for a reason. Commercial drone operation is clearly defined and the "Avid Droner" is operating illegally. Otherwise we just have chaos and everyone does what is right in their own eyes.

Same here too. Lots of non qualified pilots in the U.K. actively doing jobs they should not. I even heard a report of a guy taking pics of a nuclear installation . My friend was told to log away and leave him alone. Potential terrorist maybe, it drone policing is the same here. No one gives a ****, until the government have a problem.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am guessing you didnt bother to enlighten him about the rules. If so shame on you.

We are expected to "Self Police" and our industry has done this for decades and it's worked splendidly. I've been "turned in" (2x now) but fortunately I had every credential required and then some. If you're going to play with the big boys you need to follow the rules just like the rest of the big boys do.

Let's just say our FSDO got some information on a company that should be looked into :)

I anticipate ZERO business from this company what so ever. They are from out of town and apparently have no regard for morals or laws. This job is most likely a one-and-done for them in our area so I feel very confident I've not shot myself in the foot by doing the right thing here.

Totally agree. If we don't do it, no one will.

One day I see my pastor flying a drone around our church. I say, "Hello Father, what are you doing?"

He says, "I just bought this drone and I'm having some fun flying it around."

The next day I see him flying the drone around the church doing the exact same flight patterns and I say, "Hello father, are you enjoying your drone?"

He says, "Yes, it's not only fun, but I've been taking some nice photos to put in the bulletin, and I'll also use them to document the construction that's going on."

Then I realized my pastor is a criminal and I went home and reported his sorry *** to the FAA. I feel real good about my police work. Meanwhile some kid is also flying his drone around the church but he's good to go since he's not doing anything useful.

You are writing fiction now? Nice story but irrelevant to our duty to report misconduct.

You are writing fiction now? Nice story but irrelevant to our duty to report misconduct.
An interesting take, it is “our duty”. I would not argue with that statement. Sadly at our side of the pond the police, cannot be found. When I rang them about being burgled they never came. Never see them around our village. Just too few trying to deal with drugs, murders, assaults etc. How can we get the whole community to stand up for what is right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker