Join our growing community today!

Introductions

Dal

Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Website
islandimagery.ca
Hi
I am one of those Canadians who are waiting to the weather to become more acceptable to flying. I have not put my P4 into the air at least 3 weeks, maybe longer.

I am commercially license by Transport Canada to fly commercial missions. One of the local boat builders hires me to shoot videos of each new model of boat he builds. It is a little tense as I chase him around out over the ocean, or fly backwards so I can catch some bow-on shots as he is running 30-40 mph. You can view some of these at Silver Streak Videos - Island Imagery. I do also photograph constructions projects as the building occurs through the various stages. Most of the photos are not posted on my web site.

I am very interested to chatting with someone who may have worked in wildfire settings. Here is British Columbia, we had quite a summer of wildfire in 2017, and more are expected in 2018. I am preparing to purchase an Inspire 1 with a FLIR IR camera to begin some level of support in fire suppression. However, I do not have any protocols or operational guidelines with which to propose a business model with the local wildfire suppression authority. If anyone has any background or any documents which provide some of this type of information, I would love to read what the expectations of the drone operator are. How are the deliverables defined?

Thanks in advance.
Dal

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi
I am one of those Canadians who are waiting to the weather to become more acceptable to flying. I have not put my P4 into the air at least 3 weeks, maybe longer.

I am commercially license by Transport Canada to fly commercial missions. One of the local boat builders hires me to shoot videos of each new model of boat he builds. It is a little tense as I chase him around out over the ocean, or fly backwards so I can catch some bow-on shots as he is running 30-40 mph. You can view some of these at Silver Streak Videos - Island Imagery. I do also photograph constructions projects as the building occurs through the various stages. Most of the photos are not posted on my web site.

I am very interested to chatting with someone who may have worked in wildfire settings. Here is British Columbia, we had quite a summer of wildfire in 2017, and more are expected in 2018. I am preparing to purchase an Inspire 1 with a FLIR IR camera to begin some level of support in fire suppression. However, I do not have any protocols or operational guidelines with which to propose a business model with the local wildfire suppression authority. If anyone has any background or any documents which provide some of this type of information, I would love to read what the expectations of the drone operator are. How are the deliverables defined?

Thanks in advance.
Dal

I don't have any experience with that segment. But, why not just approach them and ask them directly what they would need?

Hi
I have approach the department on a number of occasions. As a government agency, staff turnover is frequent and whoever had the role last year is not there this year. The person taking it over this year has little or no experience with integrating drones with manned aircraft. As a bureaucracy goes, no one really want to say too much to one person so it is all seen as fair, at least that my experience in Canada.

Because drone use is a relatively new form of wildfire support, I am hoping that someone may have some of this type of documentation already sorted through. I am sure what works in one jurisdiction will work well in another. I am interested in see how other organizations may have defined this type of operation.

Hope this answers your question.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge, for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

When the local rescue squad here first got started with a drone team, we had a chat with the county EMA (Emergency Management). I have no idea if there's an equivalent in Canada, but here they are who coordinates all of the various resources responding to anything whether it's fire, tornado, mass casualty, etc. - pretty much any indecent that requires multiple agency response.

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

If you're wanting to work for local Emergency Services then you'll want to learn/train with those agencies and rely on them to learn what you can and can't do and decide upon when/where you're dispatched. I'm sure it's entirely different there than the US but here, at least where I am located, most of our lands are Govt lands and as such either State or Federal Depts will be the Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) and they are much harder to work with.

Allen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM