Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is a Part 107 Remote Pilot required to report other people unauthorized actions?

Davidblezard

Reaction score
SItuation: At a gathering, a Hobbist or other 107 Remote Pilot flies a drone, over people, in a dangerous manner, etc., aside from moral obligation, are we legally bound to report or try to stop this action?

Darn right, turn his butt in. It's those type of idiots that are going to ruin it for everyone.

Legally bound to report? Absolutely not but if it's a legit danger (and not just something you wish you could be doing) then go ahead and report them IF you have evidence to support your accusation.

If you don't have any hard evidence don't waste your (or the FAA's) time. Without the evidence it never happened.

SItuation: At a gathering, a Hobbist or other 107 Remote Pilot flies a drone, over people, in a dangerous manner, etc., aside from moral obligation, are we legally bound to report or try to stop this action?
"aside from moral obligation, are we legally bound to report or try to stop this action?" No.

Reactions: R Martin
If you don't have any hard evidence don't waste your (or the FAA's) time. Without the evidence it never happened.

Here is what the FAA says on their hotline reporting page:

*NOTE: We will not accept a report with just a link(s) to a video(s) without supporting information. Simply sending a link to a social media site and stating a violation has occurred is not sufficient to take further action. Please note, even if a violation has occurred, federal rules of evidence severely limit the use of a video on a social media site as evidence unless the operator admits to taking the video or there is a witness who saw the alleged violation take place.

I reported a guy who has a who YouTube page of videos with flying over moving traffic, people, and clear operation BVLOS. Only "evidence" was his YouTube channel. Went nowhere. This despite him clearly stating in his descriptions that he is the pilot. Oh, and his page is full of examples of commercial work, and he is not a Part 107 ticket holder (which he confirmed to me when I asked him). So even with videos of commercials he had shot, where he states clearly he shot them, and easily confirmed lack of Part 107, the FAA did nothing.

They truly are the toothless tiger. They write rules and make threats, but do very little.

Report him No. I would and have in the past try to find the pilot and start a conversation with him/her. Explain what I saw and how I read the regulations for commercial and non commercial operations. I have had several great experiences doing this with no negative results.

Here is what the FAA says on their hotline reporting page:

I reported a guy who has a who YouTube page of videos with flying over moving traffic, people, and clear operation BVLOS. Only "evidence" was his YouTube channel. Went nowhere. This despite him clearly stating in his descriptions that he is the pilot. Oh, and his page is full of examples of commercial work, and he is not a Part 107 ticket holder (which he confirmed to me when I asked him). So even with videos of commercials he had shot, where he states clearly he shot them, and easily confirmed lack of Part 107, the FAA did nothing.

They truly are the toothless tiger. They write rules and make threats, but do very little.
I had the same experience once. It's too bad I no longer serve as a police chief or I would revise our department's crime response criteria on our web page:

"If reporting a crime, please have the suspect's name, address, full face photograph and DOB available,a video or photo of the suspect inflagantre delicto, along with a properly documented chain of custody. If you could talk to the prosecutor and file the case directly, that would be sweet. Calls that include the suspect's vehicle license plate and current location will receive priority. Otherwise don't bother us. Have a nice day."

INVESTIGATION is not a popular word at the FAA......But they do try, and they are very busy following reports of birds and plastic bags around airports.

"If reporting a crime, please have the suspect's name, address, full face photograph and DOB available,a video or photo of the suspect inflagantre delicto, along with a properly documented chain of custody. If you could talk to the prosecutor and file the case directly, that would be sweet. Calls that include the suspect's vehicle license plate and current location will receive priority. Otherwise don't bother us. Have a nice day."

Still wouldn't work. Anything gathered would be tossed because it was not an officer of the court that gathered it... what a country.

Legally bound to report? Absolutely not but if it's a legit danger (and not just something you wish you could be doing) then go ahead and report them IF you have evidence to support your accusation.

That's the problem with rogue pilots. There are no consequences. Let's face it: the FAA is seriously outnumbered and we've somehow been conditioned to believe that if you "rat out" someone, you're banished from society for all eternity. I think we've watched too many Mafia movies. The rogues operate with total impunity. That needs to change.

If you knew a pilot of a small commuter airline was intoxicated, what would you do?

ya we are not mandated reporters like Dr.Phil ? use your own discretion on reporting these people. I would not get into an argument with them over it though.

That's the problem with rogue pilots. There are no consequences. Let's face it: the FAA is seriously outnumbered and we've somehow been conditioned to believe that if you "rat out" someone, you're banished from society for all eternity. I think we've watched too many Mafia movies. The rogues operate with total impunity. That needs to change.

If you knew a pilot of a small commuter airline was intoxicated, what would you do?
"If you knew a pilot of a small commuter airline was intoxicated, what would you do? "
I'd report her/him in a heartbeat,about as quick as I'd report a UAS operator engaged in the actions set in the OP's premise. I'm an ornery old man; don't care who likes it or not. :p

Reactions: BigAl07 and Grumpy
Do not report him or anyone else flying a drone. The NTSB and FAA to do differentiate 107 or not. The report logs as a drone incident and can be used by law makers. News organizations and communities in efforts to show how dangerous drones are and how much more they should be regulated. Additionally who made you the drone police. How do you know if he had waivers or permission or the people on location gave permission or were part of the festivities. Worry about your own flying.

• Angry
Reactions: Grumpy
Do not report him or anyone else flying a drone. The NTSB and FAA to do differentiate 107 or not. The report logs as a drone incident and can be used by law makers. News organizations and communities in efforts to show how dangerous drones are and how much more they should be regulated. Additionally who made you the drone police. How do you know if he had waivers or permission or the people on location gave permission or were part of the festivities. Worry about your own flying.

I'm sorry but that's just IMHO very poor advice. Sticking your head in the sand and saying "I don't see anything" isn't how we keep aviation SAFE!!

We are ALL in this together and if someone is flying unsafe and you can prove it then REPORT it. You're worrying about your own flying, business, and community by trying to report, educate and if it's bad enough punish a rogue sUAS operator.

"Additionally who made you the drone police " An excellent summary of what's wrong, thanks!

I'm sorry but that's just IMHO very poor advice. Sticking your head in the sand and saying "I don't see anything" isn't how we keep aviation SAFE!!

We are ALL in this together and if someone is flying unsafe and you can prove it then REPORT it. You're worrying about your own flying, business, and community by trying to report, educate and if it's bad enough punish a rogue sUAS operator.
Let me try this again. When you report a bad drone pilot. Doing bad drone things. It’s shows up as an incident report. basically a black mark on drones. All drones. It adds to the FAAs and NTSB data base of drone issues. So when your local community has a town meeting and wants to ban you! And all other drones from flying. They go to those stats and say “ there was 5000 incidents or 10,000 or 10,001 cause you made a report and use those stats to prove how dangerous drones are, they don’t differentiate if it was a licensed pilot, unlicensed pilot, they don’t differentiate if another pilot turned in the bad guy, all they see is a number and it’s already going up. If you want to do something talk to the pilot.

Reactions: Ol' Gzr
Let me try this again. When you report a bad drone pilot. Doing bad drone things. It’s shows up as an incident report. basically a black mark on drones. All drones. It adds to the FAAs and NTSB data base of drone issues. So when your local community has a town meeting and wants to ban you! And all other drones from flying. They go to those stats and say “ there was 5000 incidents or 10,000 or 10,001 cause you made a report and use those stats to prove how dangerous drones are, they don’t differentiate if it was a licensed pilot, unlicensed pilot, they don’t differentiate if another pilot turned in the bad guy, all they see is a number and it’s already going up. If you want to do something talk to the pilot.

Thanks for the lesson in aviation. To help you out; I soloed in 1969, got my PPL in 1970 and commercial in 1976. Was a Civil Air Patrol SAR qualified mission pilot and spent 8 years in and around Army aviation. Just saying...
No one said they wouldn't "talk to the pilot." That would me my first step and if she/he had the right attitude, nothing further would be said. If not, I'd report her/his behind in a New York minute. Aviation safety hinges on self policing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM