Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Kittyhawk

Adzphoto

Reaction score
Been testing out kittyhawk on some test flights and the app on my iPhone keeps crashing. Love the concept of using these tools for commercial work, but it’s very buggy. Who’s using it and are you having problems as well?

Cheers
Adz

Never had any phone crashes using it. But they just made it so you can only get "right now" LAANC authorizations without paying for the enterprise membership. So you cannot preplan and get prior authorizations for free now.

I have used Kittyhawk for a long time, since before my PfCO. I would not fly without it . Combines all I need and more here in the uk and makes my flight and record keeping so much easier. One or two bugs but nothing major. And customer service is excellent. It does take.a little to settle in.

I have used Kittyhawk for a long time, since before my PfCO. I would not fly without it . Combines all I need and more here in the uk and makes my flight and record keeping so much easier. One or two bugs but nothing major. And customer service is excellent. It does take.a little to settle in.

So are you an enterprise customer? Because if not all you will be able to do LAANC-wise is on the spot authorizations. Nothing even a few minutes into the future!!

Think about it.
The FAA developed LAANC for the benefit of us pilots, now private companies are benefiting from our taxes to pay them to for us to use?

The most recent FAA Reauthorization bill made it quite evident there was intent to privatize and commercialize the unmanned side of ATC services. The manned aviation folks made sure it would not happen to them but there was no exclusion of privatization for the drone side of FAA services.

We’ll (unmanned operators) be footing the bill in addition to the taxes we pay for everything going forward. The service companies haven’t jumped into the LAANC system out of kindness and generosity, they’re doing it for the money that will be obtained from the users.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G
I had a rather lengthy back and forth with support at KittyHawk. I expressed my concerns about small, independent operators who are not yet ready to scale into an Enterprise Solution, being able to at least have some advanced approval ability, 24-48 hours. KittyHawk Support repeatedly trying to tell me that my workflow was incorrect and that since you check TFR’s right before you fly anyway, just get approval then....they don’t see an issue. I like to get everything done in the morning and show up with everything in place...check TFRs and NOTAMS then fly..... they kept trying to tell me just get approval on-site....I tried professionalism, being prepared, planning, efficiency....

Finally they told me, essentially, they don’t care. The small operators using the free services are a drain on their resources. Unnecessary support tickets from people who don’t know or understand how to use LAANC, throw a fit when they do it wrong, blah, blah....they’re going to focus on paying customers. Too bad.

He did say that he would bring our conversation up in future meetings when they “inevitably” discuss this decision and the impact it’s having.

Enjoy the free access to LAANC while it lasts.....it won’t much longer.

I had a rather lengthy back and forth with support at KittyHawk. I expressed my concerns about small, independent operators who are not yet ready to scale into an Enterprise Solution, being able to at least have some advanced approval ability, 24-48 hours. KittyHawk Support repeatedly trying to tell me that my workflow was incorrect and that since you check TFR’s right before you fly anyway, just get approval then....they don’t see an issue. I like to get everything done in the morning and show up with everything in place...check TFRs and NOTAMS then fly..... they kept trying to tell me just get approval on-site....I tried professionalism, being prepared, planning, efficiency....

Finally they told me, essentially, they don’t care. The small operators using the free services are a drain on their resources. Unnecessary support tickets from people who don’t know or understand how to use LAANC, throw a fit when they do it wrong, blah, blah....they’re going to focus on paying customers. Too bad.

He did say that he would bring our conversation up in future meetings when they “inevitably” discuss this decision and the impact it’s having.

Enjoy the free access to LAANC while it lasts.....it won’t much longer.
Use Skyward.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AH-1G
So are you an enterprise customer? Because if not all you will be able to do LAANC-wise is on the spot authorizations. Nothing even a few minutes into the future!!
I am not an enterprise customer, I am just a single flier using it to save me time. Cannot use LAANC as I am in the UK, and never will get to the US. I was just saying for my purposes it is indispensable, just my thought.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just use Airmap. KittyHwak is for large scale drone companies with fleets of drones, not for individuals. Why Use it ? It has nothing as an individual pilot you need, nothing at all that you can't get form apps designed for just one pilot.

I have no crystal ball, just throwing something out there as "food for thought"; Kittyhawk is redesigning/rewriting the B4UFly app for the FAA. I wonder if B4UF v2.0 will enable users to acquire a LAANC authorization? And, if so, will it be a free (well, taxpayer-funded) service?

I have no crystal ball, just throwing something out there as "food for thought"; Kittyhawk is redesigning/rewriting the B4UFly app for the FAA. I wonder if B4UF v2.0 will enable users to acquire a LAANC authorization? And, if so, will it be a free (well, taxpayer-funded) service?

Since the FAA has indicated that recreational sUAS will need to use LAANC for controlled airspace authorizations I suspect LAANC will be built into B4UFly. But implementation of those new rules are a ways off.

Just use Airmap. You can use it on your iOS Phone / Android Phone, and Now On its Website. It works it is stupid simple its free.

Airmap is unpopular with a lot of folks due to some of the positions they have taken relative to airspace access. They are viewed as not being a "friend" of the pilot community.

AirMap was the tool financed by DJI to create their airspace command snd control software. As such nobody has any reason to trust AirMap in anything they do. Adding insult to injury, their history of airspace classification accuracy was deplorable from day 1 and never improved.

Great politics. Dont like the administration vote them out. As for me I will use the best tool, that constantly works, that is easy and fast. Kitty Hawk has problems, as do most of the other LANNC mobile app services. Some even require you to use their platform to fly the drone. Not using Airmap is not going to make it 'go away' You could always file manually and wait 90 days...

And don't forget about this announcement last fall:

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM