Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

LAANC authorizations for Lower manhattan

Gahan Haskins

Reaction score
Hello Members,
I work in the film industry as a location manager & scout and I have had my UAS license for 8 months.
Has anyone received or applied for LAANC authorization for Manhattan or any other part of New York City and received one?
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

In regards to LAANC, any LAANC grid cell that is non-zero should be no problem as long as you apply for anything at or below the maximum allowable altitude indicated in that grid cell. Zero grid cells would require that you apply for an authorization -- and in it should contain details regarding your safety protocol and procedures.

But dealing with LAANC and the FAA is relatively easy. The bigger nut to crack will be getting permission from the city to fly a drone in Manhattan. Although NYC does not control the airspace, it does control where you can take off from and land -- which at present is limited to a few scattered parks outside of Manhattan. I've been told by the NYC information center that the NYPD would be the best agency to seek permission to fly a drone once the FAA gives you authorization -- but even that person didn't sound very sure. As a start, I would recommend introducing yourself to the NYPD Precinct Captain of your shoot location to request his help and explain your film production needs. Maybe even suggest/request patrol car supervision during your flight. Hopefully, he's in a good mood. Good luck.

This from the NYC.gov website. Drones · NYC311

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM