Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Looking For a Few Good Operators in California

PatR

Reaction score

I was given the green light today to put out the word the company that recently hired me is looking for a few good operators interested in flying company drones in California. Right now the work is all power line infrastructure inspections but the work will soon be expanding to considerably more exotic work.

The money is good, the management attitude is what I would call professionally casual, and personality types that will best fit ones that are what I would call amicable. We build teams that want to work together instead of having to be and work together.

If you are an experienced 107 operator, have maintained a log of your flight hours, have conducted operations safely, and can and don’t mind being away from home for extended periods of time this is a job worth considering.

What you fly now isn’t important as the customer has their own equipment requirements. What you fly will be provided, there is plenty of time to get used to it and fly safely. You might not agree with the brand but what the heck.

So if you have logged significant time after obtaining your 107, have a flight attitude of avoiding risks and don’t fly impulsively, send me a private message and we’ll set up a voice conversation. I may not get back to you right away as I’m in the field but I will get back to you.

Just an FYI, I’m an old guy by some standards at 67 so if you are a little “more mature’ than some but still effectively mobile the door’s open. We're looking for good V/O's as well as every PIC needs a V/O. The opportunity to work up to PIC is present.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneSight1
Where is the base station?
Who do we contact? if interested.
Where can we contact? Got a website link?
How can we contact got email or phone number?

I was hoping to hear from you as you are in the general work area. Initially, send me a PM to set up an intro voice conversation as a “qualifier” and from there you get filled in with how to contact management. I’d like to post the company name, website, and phone numbers but doing that would flood the shop with calls and e-mails from every noob just getting into drones and from 107 operators with no commercial operating history. That would be extremely disruptive.

From what I’ve learned from your posts you’re “on point” and well qualified, plus you already know the equipment in use.

I am trying to get the word out, as I am already following 4 builds and a progressive stock pile for Cemex. I know of two that has their Part 107, but has gotten not a lot from dronebase.com I could not get these guys, with Lennar and LandSea because they only need one to operate in the area.

The demand is there but for some reason, perhaps poor writing skills on my part, I'm not hearing from people. My job offer post was not meant to be cryptic, just defensive of time and company personnel resources. It's good work, both interesting and at times a bit challenging, but there's plenty of room for a good operator to do well. There are a great many PIC/VO teams working in this state but there's just so darn much work to do a lot more are needed. Power lines are just the tip of a very large iceberg.

FYI, a history with the DJI Go4 interface is a plus at this point in time. I didn't have such a history but it's not hard to become comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
The demand is there but for some reason, perhaps poor writing skills on my part, I'm not hearing from people. My job offer post was not meant to be cryptic, just defensive of time and company personnel resources. It's good work, both interesting and at times a bit challenging, but there's plenty of room for a good operator to do well. There are a great many PIC/VO teams working in this state but there's just so darn much work to do a lot more are needed. Power lines are just the tip of a very large iceberg.

FYI, a history with the DJI Go4 interface is a plus at this point in time I didn't have such a history but it's not hard to become comfortable with.

I think your initial posting was SPOT ON!! It's possible a large portion of your intended viewer base are busy today and just haven't been on the forum yet.

Patience Grass-Hoppa :)

Sounds like a GREAT opportunity for those in that area. Well done :)

Thanks Al, I do see it as a great opportunity. enough of one that I came out of retirement to participate. What's surprising is the low response thus far, but it's still early in the day. For someone looking for work, someone retired looking to re-establish a purpose in life after departing their previous day to day grind, someone without a degree, or someone looking to just do something different using the skills they largely already developed the work has a lot to offer. It's demanding as the work requires very specific policies and procedures be followed but in and of itself it's not hard and the operational routine is developed fairly quickly. You do have to really know how to fly and follow instructions though.

Last edited:
Thanks Al, I do see it as a great opportunity. enough of one that I came out of retirement to participate. What's surprising is the low response thus far, but it's still early in the day. For someone looking for work, someone retired looking to re-establish a purpose in life after departing their previous day to day grind, someone without a degree, or someone looking to just do something different using the skills they largely already developed the work has a lot to offer. It's demanding as the work requires very specific polocies and procedures be followed but in and of itself it's not hard and the operational routine is developed fairly quickly. You do have to really know how to fly and follow instructions though.

You are doing a job on including Cali. Operators on your new venture. Your influence, presence, and knowledge in the industry is highly appreciated. Give me until next season! (A couple of my contracts will clear by then, and I don’t have the desire to follow a build outside of SF Bay Area.)

My thoughts on the specific inclusion of California people is the majority of the work right now is being done in California and the gamut of contracting agencies is drawing most of their people from far out of state. As it's the type of work you and I would view as "deployment" type work all those out of state people are probably experiencing a lot of emotional hardship that accompanies being "deployed" the first time or two. Toss in what appears to be a shortage of relief teams to provide a means for those that have been out awhile the ability to get back home to deal with personal matters and we should anticipate a loss of a lot of good people because they never anticipated being out for long periods of time. Sure, people can do it, the military folks have been doing it for generations, but the civilian world is not accustomed to that kind of stuff. It takes a lot of time to alter our established ways of life. Some can become comfortable with it, some can't, but do we sacrifice the truly talented that can't make such sacrifices when a solution is available through development of mitigation that provides effective and efficient resolution?

The issue in California is the travel and lodging expenses. Is there a per- diem for these expenses cause I only eat seafood.

I do not handle anything with a compensation package but I’ll simply say it’s pretty good.

If interested send me a PM with your phone number and I’ll call to discuss your qualifications and fill in as permitted with more info. My job here is to pre-qualify operators for a PIC position and the employer will contact those they find best qualified and provide more info.

However, someone that only eats sea food could always bring a fishing pole[emoji6]

We are also looking for qualified V/O’s, preferably those that hold a 107 cert as they can work into a PIC position. A good V/O provides a lot of value to the operation.

Good to see you filtering through the chaff Pat, it's been a while since we've spoke. Are you on LinkedIn?
I have an interest in your projects but am hooked up in the wind turbine inspection business but would like to find out more from you when it's convenient. You still have that old "Blade" I sold you...lol
Cheers
Bobby A.
aka
Seadragon59

Nope, gave it to my grandkids a year ago. It was still doing fine.

Yours will be the last PM That I can respond directly to as we’ve obtained an adequate number of qualified applicants. Those qualified and interested in V/O positions will still be called. Everyone wants to be PIC but V/O’s have great value. Thus far I haven’t seen anyone interested in being a V/O.

FYI, a history with the DJI Go4 interface is a plus at this point in time. I didn't have such a history but it's not hard to become comfortable with.
Nope, gave it to my grandkids a year ago. It was still doing fine.

Yours will be the last PM That I can respond directly to as we’ve obtained an adequate number of qualified applicants. Those qualified and interested in V/O positions will still be called. Everyone wants to be PIC but V/O’s have great value. Thus far I haven’t seen anyone interested in being a V/O.
I am interested...

Good to see you filtering through the chaff Pat, it's been a while since we've spoke. Are you on LinkedIn?
I have an interest in your projects but am hooked up in the wind turbine inspection business but would like to find out more from you when it's convenient. You still have that old "Blade" I sold you...lol
Cheers
Bobby A.
aka
Seadragon59

chaff?

I was given the green light today to put out the word the company that recently hired me is looking for a few good operators interested in flying company drones in California. Right now the work is all power line infrastructure inspections but the work will soon be expanding to considerably more exotic work.

The money is good, the management attitude is what I would call professionally casual, and personality types that will best fit ones that are what I would call amicable. We build teams that want to work together instead of having to be and work together.

If you are an experienced 107 operator, have maintained a log of your flight hours, have conducted operations safely, and can and don’t mind being away from home for extended periods of time this is a job worth considering.

What you fly now isn’t important as the customer has their own equipment requirements. What you fly will be provided, there is plenty of time to get used to it and fly safely. You might not agree with the brand but what the heck.

So if you have logged significant time after obtaining your 107, have a flight attitude of avoiding risks and don’t fly impulsively, send me a private message and we’ll set up a voice conversation. I may not get back to you right away as I’m in the field but I will get back to you.

Just an FYI, I’m an old guy by some standards at 67 so if you are a little “more mature’ than some but still effectively mobile the door’s open. We're looking for good V/O's as well as every PIC needs a V/O. The opportunity to work up to PIC is present.
If thing's change and you need people I may be able to assist. I'm in El Dorado County.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC