Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Lost Drones. How big of a problem are they?

ClipCopter

Reaction score
I was wondering what the community thinks on this subject. I know most modern drones have some sort of RTH system if there is low battery or signal loss, but they do happen.

I'm sure it's a problem for the pilot who loses a drone but is it something that the larger uav community worries about?

I ask because I am bouncing around an idea to help get found drones back to their owners. Is it enough of a problem to warrant a service or product?

Just looking for some general feedback from the community. Sorry for being cryptic.

My 2 cents (take it for what you paid for it):

• A) The Big Ones have redundant systems for their redundant systems and also usually have elaborate GEO trackers built into the "system".
  • B) Smaller systems (for instance off the shelf like DJI etc) don't carry enough of a price tag to justify the cost/hassle unless your service were very inexpensive and fool proof.

No need for sorry.. Cryptic is how more of us need to be LOL! No sense giving away trade/industry secrets if you don't need to.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Well, I think all good operators worry about a loss occurring, because if it happens it will most-likely be due to their own fault and they know they could have prevented it. So, yes, I think there is a healthy concern among operators as a part of flying safe. But there are a lot of drones that are lost for various reasons. We only see some of the distraught on this forum. I'm sure there are countess others out there that would love to have another way of possibly getting their drones back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClipCopter
My 2 cents (take it for what you paid for it):

• A) The Big Ones have redundant systems for their redundant systems and also usually have elaborate GEO trackers built into the "system".
  • B) Smaller systems (for instance off the shelf like DJI etc) don't carry enough of a price tag to justify the cost/hassle unless your service were very inexpensive and fool proof.

No need for sorry.. Cryptic is how more of us need to be LOL! No sense giving away trade/industry secrets if you don't need to.

Thanks. Fool proof? That's possible? Fools are everywhere. o_O

Seriously though, redundancy is the key. Can there be too much? If the cost outweighs the benefit of course.
I am of course looking at this from my personal perspective. My $1K MP disappearing in to the sky and the inability to find it, would really piss me off. I personally might pay a few bucks a year for an additional means to reconnect with my lost property.

I suppose I may just have to drop the plans for the idea and see if the community thinks it's a viable idea.
Thanks again for your response.

Reactions: BigAl07
We work with a lot of people while troubleshooting flight issues. Fly aways are the least common issue we have to deal with. Personally the only fly away I have had was with a Phantom 1 in 2013. Yes it happens and yes sometimes with no fault of the pilot. Pilot experience seems to be a common denominator if it is a true flyaway or pilot disorientation. The flight logs usually show the facts about what transpired during a fly away/crash into a hard surface and can typically remove the "flyaway" from the probable cause of the aircraft loss.

We work with a lot of people while troubleshooting flight issues. Fly aways are the least common issue we have to deal with. Personally the only fly away I have had was with a Phantom 1 in 2013. Yes it happens and yes sometimes with no fault of the pilot. Pilot experience seems to be a common denominator if it is a true flyaway or pilot disorientation. The flight logs usually show the facts about what transpired during a fly away/crash into a hard surface and can typically remove the "flyaway" from the probable cause of the aircraft loss.
FDS would my question be better framed if I used lost drone instead of fly away?

I was wondering what the community thinks on this subject. I know most modern drones have some sort of RTH system if there is low battery or signal loss, but they do happen.

I'm sure it's a problem for the pilot who loses a drone but is it something that the larger uav community worries about?

I ask because I am bouncing around an idea to help get found drones back to their owners. Is it enough of a problem to warrant a service or product?

Just looking for some general feedback from the community. Sorry for being cryptic.
3 years, thousands of flights, no flyaways...

Changed the title per FDS suggestion. I really don't care why a drone is lost. Just that it is. I incorrectly assumed fly aways were the big reason. Feel free to enlighten me.

Changed the title per FDS suggestion. I really don't care why a drone is lost. Just that it is. I incorrectly assumed fly aways were the big reason. Feel free to enlighten me.

I think the new title is much more accurate especially in this group. For the most part we have hundreds of hours of sUAS experience and have a firm understanding of the aircraft, firmware, software, and most of all able to fly without the "Training Wheels". The closest I've had to a Fly Away was actually a "Flying Right At Me" resulting in the aircraft RTH "through" some old growth oak trees. Totally my fault but none-the-less it was uncommaned flight due to my lack of paying attention to details.

Way too many sUAS crashes are termed "fly aways" when reality is they should be called "Operating well outside of the sUAS operators level of knowledge, experience, and/or abilities".

I think the new title is much more accurate especially in this group. For the most part we have hundreds of hours of sUAS experience and have a firm understanding of the aircraft, firmware, software, and most of all able to fly without the "Training Wheels". The closest I've had to a Fly Away was actually a "Flying Right At Me" resulting in the aircraft RTH "through" some old growth oak trees. Totally my fault but none-the-less it was uncommaned flight due to my lack of paying attention to details.

Way too many sUAS crashes are termed "fly aways" when reality is they should be called "Operating well outside of the sUAS operators level of knowledge, experience, and/or abilities".
I would second that last thought. It is very easy to put one off these craft in the sky, it a whole different ball game knowing how to fly one safely and responsibly.

I incorrectly assumed fly aways were the big reason. Feel free to enlighten me.
Flyaway is what you tell friends or yourself if you don't understand why you lost your drone.
But analysis of hundreds of claimed flyaways shows that a genuine flyaway is extremely rare, if it exists at all.

First of all I don't fly my drone out of sight, I have lost GPS and was always able to maintain control. If for some reason I had a major failure that caused it to fly off, I would go find it myself. Personally it is the least of my concerns, as already stated the higher quality drones have many protection to keep that from happening.
Think of it from a manufactures point of view, if you build a drone that can go rough, and it injures someone the manufacture would be liable unless they could prove operator error or negligence.

I have tested the RTH function on both drones I fly, it has always worked. I DO NOT depend on it, or use it out of laziness, I just want to know it works.

I do think a reasonable priced option to find a "lost drone" no matter why it became lost, would worth looking into. Might be more useful to the hobbyist side due to more less experienced operators flying. Losing a $700 or craft can be painful. My wife most likely tell me to take up fishing after losing my drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV