Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

M210-RTK problems with Data Mapping accuracy?

DavidRansier

Reaction score
I watched a video review of the M210-RTK at:

Around the 15 minute mark, the author talks about the RTK not being accurate enough for data mapping, though he says the RTK feature makes the M210-RTK excel when working close to magnetic interference, such as power lines and steel towers.

Can someone elaborate on this problem for me? I'm planning to upgrade my drones to better handle larger projects and the M210 series seemed like a really good option, until I heard about this issue.

If this is a real problem, can you suggest a better drone for this kind of work. I am wanting to do other kinds of jobs as well, so it needs to be able to handle a variety of tasks.

And maybe it's been resolved in software upgrades and all is good now. Please help me understand - Thanks.

I watched a video review of the M210-RTK at:

Around the 15 minute mark, the author talks about the RTK not being accurate enough for data mapping, though he says the RTK feature makes the M210-RTK excel when working close to magnetic interference, such as power lines and steel towers.

Can someone elaborate on this problem for me? I'm planning to upgrade my drones to better handle larger projects and the M210 series seemed like a really good option, until I heard about this issue.

If this is a real problem, can you suggest a better drone for this kind of work. I am wanting to do other kinds of jobs as well, so it needs to be able to handle a variety of tasks.

And maybe it's been resolved in software upgrades and all is good now. Please help me understand - Thanks.

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4253...yVrwsO6HymGxCXuGBtzrQXIfpeGBzg&_hsmi=67103891

Real time kinematics versus post processed kinematics....I am going to speak in general terms because some GPS units are more accurate than others. Generally, the GPS units installed on DJI products are accurate to within roughly 5 meters unaided for positional data. That is why you should always be using accurate control points and enough of them. I will never rely upon a UAS GPS unit alone when doing mapping or near-survey work.

Adding a base station/ and or accurate control points (or both) into the mix 'can" increase you accuracy to within the centimeter range (maybe millimeter for surveyed control AND clearly defined center points on said control points). I am not going to plug Aeropoints (though I do own a set and use them every flight) but I will say that if you are mapping you need to own a method to set your own control for jobs and be competent in using the equipment. Otherwise, you need to stick to real estate or photography or any other task that does not require any degree of accuracy.

I was really hoping for an experienced M210 owner to respond - I’m not diss’ing your answer, I really appreciate it. The video described a control station with the M210-RTK that looked kind of like a GCP, but I’m new to this space and don’t fully understand all of it. Hence my question. I am all about learning what’s need to do the job. I just want to be sure that my $20,000 purchase is a good purchase before spending.

Thank you for helping me learn.

Reactions: R Martin
I was really hoping for an experienced M210 owner to respond - I’m not diss’ing your answer, I really appreciate it. The video described a control station with the M210-RTK that looked kind of like a GCP, but I’m new to this space and don’t fully understand all of it. Hence my question. I am all about learning what’s need to do the job. I just want to be sure that my $20,000 purchase is a good purchase before spending.

For a $20,000 budget, this is also a possibility: BirdsEyeView Aerobotics - Welcome to the Revolution
Your budget would include an RTK base station and a great camera with more range and flexibility.

I know DJI is one of the biggest. I own one myself. But there are other more attractive and reliable options out there as well.
the next step up (for three times the budget) would be: Helicopter UAV and Helicopter Drone Dealer - Pulse Aerospace

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

I am not an owner of an M210. I am, however, an operator of an Inspire 2 on which I attached the appropriate kit from KlauPPK.com. They offer a similar kit for the M210. After many hours of experimenting and procedure developing, I finally have a complete workflow including multiple software products that produces models that meet or exceed their accuracy claims. I use correction data from a nearby CORS on the Washington State Reference Network, rather than from a portable base station. Output items from Pix4D Mapper (Desktop) are in State Plane. On the Klau website you can read the growing number of testimonials from companies much larger than my one-person shop. There's been at least two announcements about Klau's products on sUAS News. That said, I am not a Licensed Surveyor, nor a career member of ISPRS.org. Background in both of those areas would have saved many hours of learning time. Since you posted in 'Construction', you may want to read Altavian's article and watch their webinar that included Bentley and KLJ. I watched the drone industry for many years before recommending Klau's products to a client. If it's accuracy you want and need, be prepared to climb several steep learning curves. Due to competitive pressures, I would be surprised to see complete documentation and procedures from any company in this space for some time. Then there's learning how to work with a civil engineering, architecture, or property surveying company (that is genuinely interested) and whatever systems they use to process your data and images. I am assuming you have experience with mission planning software such as Pix4D Capture or UgCS. As for my current local application (measuring sand/sediment movement along a beach in a flood plain), it is not feasible to distribute Ground Control targets that would be used for Ground Control Points by modeling software such as PhotoScan or Pix4D Mapper. With Klau's equipment and software, there is no need for placing physical targets, other than as non-biased ground check points. And imagine using your drone as a very accurate measuring tool, anywhere that you want to place it on the job site. I do hope you have success.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905