Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual

miturnbo

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.minutemanresponse.org
I really like what DJI has done with this platform as a tool for SAR operations but have some questions about the FLIR. It has FLIR MSX and Infrared modes only apparently and does not offer any of the other modes that previous FLIR cameras have.

So I’m wondering if this even matters since the MSX seems really good.

Also in the past we have had an issue being able to distinguish between searchers and victims using a normal FLIR. Wondering if this would allow us to also see flashers attached to searcher helmets. I’m thinking yes. But any experience on this would be very helpful.

Mike
Minuteman Disaster Response

You may find some useful information on the thread I started the other day. New Thermal Sensor

The Duo sensor is relying heavily on MSX technology to provide a clear and somewhat useful image, but quality is not "Enterprise" ready in my opinion. the RGP portion of the image would probably provide distinction with identification light that you use. Easy enough to test with a Flir C2 handheld. I'll try tonight with a FireHose strobe.

OK, now let me heat things up. Will the Phantom 5 come with Thermal sensor? My Vue 1Pro seems to be the same size as those prototypes lenses we see for the P5 floating around??

Reactions: miturnbo
You may find some useful information on the thread I started the other day. New Thermal Sensor

The Duo sensor is relying heavily on MSX technology to provide a clear and somewhat useful image, but quality is not "Enterprise" ready in my opinion. the RGP portion of the image would probably provide distinction with identification light that you use. Easy enough to test with a Flir C2 handheld. I'll try tonight with a FireHose strobe.

OK, now let me heat things up. Will the Phantom 5 come with Thermal sensor? My Vue 1Pro seems to be the same size as those prototypes lenses we see for the P5 floating around??
Did you try the Flir C2 by any chance?

There's a new video today showing how well it works at 120' AGL with the target under a dense tree canopy. The target is just a red blob but more than enough to send a ground team to it. I think it's a perfect solution for a squad that has very little money. Shoot, some months we can barely pay the gasoline bill. I'm going to order one the first of the year.

There's a new video today showing how well it works at 120' AGL with the target under a dense tree canopy. The target is just a red blob but more than enough to send a ground team to it. I think it's a perfect solution for a squad that has very little money. Shoot, some months we can barely pay the gasoline bill. I'm going to order one the first of the year.
There is a lot of great info in that video and from the guy that made the video there are other outstanding videos about the M2ED. Completely answers my question about being able to see a flashing light or a flashlight in the MSX mode. One video shows what it looks like with a searcher shining a flashlight. Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing the newest video. Yes my C2 could pickup a strobe light, not because it is emmiting thermal radiation, but because if the RGB lens has enough ambient light like the spotlights on the the Mavic, you can see the flash.

From this latest video, it definitely looks like it could be a good first response item. I think as soon as you start moving the craft you will notices low refresh rate will make is difficult to differentiate the image

I really like what DJI has done with this platform as a tool for SAR operations but have some questions about the FLIR. It has FLIR MSX and Infrared modes only apparently and does not offer any of the other modes that previous FLIR cameras have.

So I’m wondering if this even matters since the MSX seems really good.

Also in the past we have had an issue being able to distinguish between searchers and victims using a normal FLIR. Wondering if this would allow us to also see flashers attached to searcher helmets. I’m thinking yes. But any experience on this would be very helpful.

Mike
Minuteman Disaster Response
For outfits with very limited budget it may be one way to go. Keep in mind you get what you pay for and resolution on this sensor is not great.

For outfits with very limited budget it may be one way to go. Keep in mind you get what you pay for and resolution on this sensor is not great.
We are trying to get our drone program off the ground, so to speak. We do have an Inspire 1 with Zenmuse XT but there are some real challenges with that setup. Air time at about 13~15 min max and with the Zenmuse XT, we cannot tell searchers from victims. So looking to have a more portable and better solution until we can spend the money for something like the M200 in the future. But this M2ED looks like a big win to me..

We are trying to get our drone program off the ground, so to speak. We do have an Inspire 1 with Zenmuse XT but there are some real challenges with that setup. Air time at about 13~15 min max and with the Zenmuse XT, we cannot tell searchers from victims. So looking to have a more portable and better solution until we can spend the money for something like the M200 in the future. But this M2ED looks like a big win to me..
I'm confused. What do u mean you can't tell victims from searchers with an XT.?

I've never used the XT to look at anyone carrying a flashlight but I assumed the lens gets warm but the beam is invisible in IR. I don't see how a smaller resolution sensor (160 X 120) will outperform a 640 X 512 sensor, even with MSX. If I'm wrong am sure someone will set me straight

I've never used the XT to look at anyone carrying a flashlight but I assumed the lens gets warm but the beam is invisible in IR. I don't see how a smaller resolution sensor (160 X 120) will outperform a 640 X 512 sensor, even with MSX. If I'm wrong am sure someone will set me straight
Yeah, I get the resolution piece but it's fairly easy to see how with MSX the ability for the viewer to tell more about the subject is greatly enhanced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905