Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Mission Planning and Documentation Software?

Nitz

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone is using for their Mission Planning and Documentation Software?
Do you use 1 software or separate software or paper and pencil?

There seems to be so many, with more on their way it's tough to cut through. Or, is there a sticky with all the software?

Mission Planning
- LIST

Maintenance and Documentation
- LIST

Or, I can compile the list because I need to anyway.

I'm curious what everyone is using for their Mission Planning and Documentation Software?

There seems to be so many, with more on their way it's tough to cut through. Or, is there a sticky with all the software?

Mission Planning
- LIST

- LIST

Dronelogbook
I keep paper records on pilot logs that I carry with me to the job sites.
Mission planning, risk assessments, property owner permissions,releases, maintenance records and scheduling are all handled via Dronelogbook and extensive checklists.

Mission Planning
- LIST

- LIST

One question for you around the mission planning would be if you need the software to fly the drone or just plan and document the mission.

The above recommendations are good ones and the public safety version of Drone Log Book is called Safety Drone. Drone sense offers a lot of features but requires you to fly from an iPad and is not compatible with CrystalSky monitors if you use those in your operation. Many of our clients fly from CrystalSky monitors which makes that option difficult. You can also look at DJI Flight Hub. A couple others worth looking at are Skyward.io ad Kittyhawk.io - both are geared towards fleet management features.

If you have questions about any of them, we have looked at or tried most of the options. We are not experts in all of them, but do get user feedback regularly from our clients.

Good luck with it!

IOS, actually I use the Multivista mission planning and log book, it's the old fashion way, pen and paper. When I first got a drone, and before my 107 cert, I actually logged flights in my current log book, but it began to look kind of funny having fifteen to twenty minute flights that went no where. Went from Cessna 402 to Phantom 4.

Reactions: BigAl07
, I actually logged flights in my current log book, but it began to look kind of funny having fifteen to twenty minute flights that went no where. Went from Cessna 402 to Phantom 4.

I contemplated the same thing back in my Section 333 days. I opted for a dedicated drone Log Book but then when it got so cluttered and busy I went with electronic and just print off new pages and add them to my port folio weekly.

Reactions: R Martin
I contemplated the same thing back in my Section 333 days. I opted for a dedicated drone Log Book but then when it got so cluttered and busy I went with electronic and just print off new pages and add them to my port folio weekly.

If my flight time was more than a few hours a week in one location, and was working full time then I most likely would do the same. At my stage of the game it really isn't all that important. The UC job will end around August of 2020, I'll be 72 then so I'll probably hang it up at that point. I got a new medical and bi annual but I just didn't feel as comfortable as I once did. What was that Clint Eastwood comment in one of his movies "a man has't to know his limitations", and Pilot is the first letter in the acronym PAVE.

If my flight time was more than a few hours a week in one location, and was working full time then I most likely would do the same. At my stage of the game it really isn't all that important. The UC job will end around August of 2020, I'll be 72 then so I'll probably hang it up at that point. I got a new medical and bi annual but I just didn't feel as comfortable as I once did. What was that Clint Eastwood comment in one of his movies "a man has't to know his limitations", and Pilot is the first letter in the acronym PAVE.

Very well said sir.

Self evaluation is one of the hardest and usually most faulted aspect of our daily lives. I can honestly say my PAVE today is a lot different than it was 2 decades ago. I wouldn't do things now that I somehow survived back in the day (by the grace of God). I know my limitations and more importantly RESPECT them.

For those not familiar with PAVE that @R.Perry mentioned:

"P" stands for Pilot. You, the Pilot are the biggest risk and must be "checked" first. If PILOT isn't up to par the rest of the checklist doesn't matter.
"A" stands for Aircraft. (Aircraft, Equipment, Planning processes)
"V" stands for. (Weather, Terrain, Alerts/Notifications etc)
"E" stands for External pressures (Client/boss says: we've got to get there today even though Wx is at min)

Thanks BigA, I made the assumption most people here would be familiar with PAVE, and you are correct, self evaluation is sometimes the hardest.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM