Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

NY state parks

Adzphoto

Reaction score
Hello there. Pretty new to this form and this is my 1st post. been reading info posted the pass few weeks and it’s been very informative information, so thanks. I have a question about launching from a state park. Was flying yesterday around the Hudson River and was stop by the police. Apparently I launched from state property. Anyway, I want to finish my operation and want to go through the correct channels. I am a new certified RPIC and I am only flying for recreational purposes at the moment. I called about getting a permit today and the person at the state park office told me I need to apply for a film permit and if you are not a big commercial company the permit will not get approved. I’m having a hard time believing that. Has anybody applied for a sUAS permit to flying within a NY state park. If so would love to hear your experience.

Cheers
A

Welcome to the forum.

I'll be surprised if you can get approval in that area. I don't know the exact area but when you say Hudson River IIRC a lot of that area is off limits due to scenic flights, dignitary flights, and military flights. In fact the one confirmed US drone strike with a helicopter was somewhere in that general vicinity.

You may have an uphill battle on your hands there and you may want to ponder if it's worth it. Also keep in mind that if you get a blemish on your record as a hobbyist it "could" affect you as a Commercial RPIC going forward.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Hello there. Pretty new to this form and this is my 1st post. been reading info posted the pass few weeks and it’s been very informative information, so thanks. I have a question about launching from a state park. Was flying yesterday around the Hudson River and was stop by the police. Apparently I launched from state property. Anyway, I want to finish my operation and want to go through the correct channels. I am a new certified RPIC and I am only flying for recreational purposes at the moment. I called about getting a permit today and the person at the state park office told me I need to apply for a film permit and if you are not a big commercial company the permit will not get approved. I’m having a hard time believing that. Has anybody applied for a sUAS permit to flying within a NY state park. If so would love to hear your experience.

Cheers
A
More importantly, in Maine, there is a fee to submit the permit, $500. You can film in a state park, just not over people, structure setbacks and you must take off and land outside of park boundaries. Good luck wit dat.

I’d love to get some photos in the Little River Canyon Park in N.E.Alabama near my home. But they make it impossible for the most part.

I can see their point to an certain extent. You just made a five mile hike to meditate on the sunrise when, ...bbzzzzzzzzzz........, and a swarm of drones blots out the sun. Well, that’s extreme, you you can get the drift.

I hope we will one day be able to ask for a day or two each month for drone operators to have access to the stunn8ng landscape.

Act like adults. Represent the industry well. Maybe we can get there one day.

Reactions: BigAl07
There are other areas you can launch from along the Hudson that aren't NYS Parks. If the operation you want to complete has to be done from the state park, you may be SOL. Let us know if you get approval. As BigAl07 wrote, the airspace is complex along the Hudson, especially so close to NYC. I've done jobs over the river in Class G but near shore, flying low, and using a VO. Lots of general aviation and choppers.

Reactions: dawgpilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905