Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Opinions on violations from aerial filming of a concert

jaja6009

Reaction score
I work in Public Safety and am a member of our Emergency Management drone program. We recently hosted a concert and the promoter had a drone team that filmed and live streamed the concert. They used a DJI Inspire 2 and filmed the whole concert except when landing for battery changes.
Unfortunately I was not given access to this team to coordinate air space and to get their flight plans. The area of the concert was on the beach and hazards were the large crowd, a tourism helicopter that offers short duration flights that vary in length depending on the price. This helicopter flies along the beach and passes by the concert area every 10 to 20 minutes at approximately 150 to 200 ft AGL.

I was kind of shocked when I saw that they took off from next to the stage and then flew over the crowd to reach their different filming points. I was more shocked when some of their filming was conducted at 150 to 200 ft AGL directly over the 10 to 15,000 people. I was horrified and then angry when they did not spot the tourism helicopter on several occasions and they came within 100 to 200 feet from a collision. I was just plain annoyed when I launched our drone during intermission to conduct a test flight for interference and to test our thermal camera's ability to see people in the water and I was called by our PD to land due to the drone film crew freaking out that I was in their air space.

I asked through an intermediary if they had a waiver for flight over people and did not receive an answer. I saw that the Inspire 2 did not have a parachute and as we know it would not be compliant with any new rules on flight over people. This went on for 3 nights straight and I never did hear back about any waiver. They cut down on the flight over people but did not entirely stop. I also requested that they contact the tourism helicopter and come up with a game plan for air space deconfliction. This did not happen either. I did not push the issue as far as I wanted due to the sense that I might not be backed as this event brought in a lot of money.

I just have bad interactions with almost every drone pilot I encounter. From people I know not registering, not taking TRUST, flying commercially without a 107 and just making sure that drones always have a bad name and are flown unsafely and in this case unprofessionally.

This is more of a vent to get this off of my chest as from my time on these forums, most are extremely professional. It did take every ounce of constraint for me to not call the FSDO.

On a positive note, we had an air show two days in a row, and at least no drones were spotted breaking the TFR, but PD put out announcements that anyone caught flying would be arrested and have their drone confiscated.

This is more of a vent to get this off of my chest as from my time on these forums, most are extremely professional. It did take every ounce of constraint for me to not call the FSDO.

Until you contact the the local FSDO, you are complicit. If you report the incident with all of the background info you possibly can, then you can say you did all that you could. You do not help yourself, or like-minded professionals by not reporting blatant violations. Don't be surprised if even after reporting it that nothing happens. But at least you tried.

Agree the FSDO should be notified. Sounds like issues with the drone, especially if htey didn't have a waiver, but also some question on whether the helo is in compliance with 91.119. "Minimum Safe Altitude-(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft. (1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA." Sounds unsafe all around.

Reactions: Afghanpilot
Agree the FSDO should be notified. Sounds like issues with the drone, especially if htey didn't have a waiver, but also some question on whether the helo is in compliance with 91.119. "Minimum Safe Altitude-(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft. (1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA." Sounds unsafe all around.
Hi Scott, very cool to see you in here. I have some FAA UAS paperwork with your signature on it. Also some part 61 wings safety stuff (the original version) too, if I'm not mistaken. The FAA has lost a good one!

Cheers,
Dave

I have no problems reporting blatant violations like this; you shouldn't either. You can bet those guys got paid a *lot* of money, too, making them criminals who are robbing money from guys that fly legally. Very maddening.

As noted, nothing I've reported has been acted upon.

I work in Public Safety and am a member of our Emergency Management drone program. .... It did take every ounce of constraint for me to not call the FSDO.
So why didn't you, at the very least, make a call to local law enforcement and shut down the drone filming (not the concert) when you saw all of those dangerous things happening and got no answers from them? Honestly, it doesn't sound like you take your "Public Safety" job seriously. Your lack of action to protect not only those in the crowd but also a manned aircraft is shameful, especially considering the fact that you are part of an Emergency Management drone program. Seriously, what were you thinking?

So why didn't you, at the very least, make a call to local law enforcement and shut down the drone filming (not the concert) when you saw all of those dangerous things happening and got no answers from them? Honestly, it doesn't sound like you take your "Public Safety" job seriously. Your lack of action to protect not only those in the crowd but also a manned aircraft is shameful, especially considering the fact that you are part of an Emergency Management drone program. Seriously, what were you thinking?
I am a firefighter and have zero authority in the way of performing law enforcement. I have zero authority to shut down anything. I have zero authority to tell someone to land. I did my part and asked repeatedly to tell them to stop flying over people and their response was that they were not doing so.

I more posted to vent and maybe get the courage to call the FSDO along with my many videos and images. But calling me shameful is a bit much, but that's your opinion.

I have said it before, before I was neutral or against new FAA rules and regs, but I now embrace Remote ID and hope it ends up going further with flight logs recorded with the ability to pull them up at a later time for enforcement. Almost every person I know with a drone does not follow any aspect of any FAA rule or reg. None have taken TRUST, most have not registered their drone(s) and some fly commercially without a 107. I am at a total loss for how many people truly do not follow any type of drone rule.

I do not know and regs for helicopters, but the tourist helicopter flies the same routes 9 months of the year and is always around 150 to 250' AGL when over the water parallel to the shoreline. When he does a route over land he is much higher (I would guess 1000' AGL and up since he is well over our highest building). Do they have a waiver process also? Or maybe they can be lower out over the water? I just know that at one point someone called me on the phone to say wow you almost hit that helicopter and my reply was, that was not me as my drone is on the ground.

Yes, it's just my opinion, but I stand by it. I didn't say that I expected you to perform law enforcement, but as a health and safety person with Part 107 knowledge and seeing what was going on including the real possibility of a collision with a manned aircraft you could have easily given a quick 911 call to local law enforcement and reported the danger. If you are afraid of repercussions, you can call 911 anonymously. I'm sure you were caught up in the moment, concerned about what was going on, but the right thing would have been to make a call to those who DO have authority to put a stop to a dangerous situation. Honestly, the helicopter near miss is what put this into the shameful category for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Afghanpilot
If you have stills and video of them flying in violation, especially of the pilot, you need to contact FSDO. Ask for their ASI in charge of UAS. Tell them your concerns, and what evidence you have. They'll direct you from there. It is their job to investigate these things, and will appreciate any assistance you can give them.

I had a problem down on the outer banks of North Carolina. I was filming a motel, my drone was about 600 feet offshore at 350 feet up and I had clear visual line of sight of it. I couldn't see the beach, due to the top of the dune...I mean no one could fly that low anyway, right? Well, all of a sudden, a business helicopter popped up over the dune, between me and the drone and about 100 feet from me over the middle of the beach (the top of the dune was only about 50 feet high above the water). There were people on the beach and I could see the light poles on the fishing pier next to my location (if he had crossed over the pier, I would have seen him). I talked to my local FSBO and he told me that helicopters had to maintain a minimum of 500 feet except over the water. A lot of them don't though. Technically, it wasn't a close call, but to me it was way too close. I almost gave up drone work after that.

I work in Public Safety and am a member of our Emergency Management drone program. We recently hosted a concert and the promoter had a drone team that filmed and live streamed the concert. They used a DJI Inspire 2 and filmed the whole concert except when landing for battery changes.
Unfortunately I was not given access to this team to coordinate air space and to get their flight plans. The area of the concert was on the beach and hazards were the large crowd, a tourism helicopter that offers short duration flights that vary in length depending on the price. This helicopter flies along the beach and passes by the concert area every 10 to 20 minutes at approximately 150 to 200 ft AGL.

I was kind of shocked when I saw that they took off from next to the stage and then flew over the crowd to reach their different filming points. I was more shocked when some of their filming was conducted at 150 to 200 ft AGL directly over the 10 to 15,000 people. I was horrified and then angry when they did not spot the tourism helicopter on several occasions and they came within 100 to 200 feet from a collision. I was just plain annoyed when I launched our drone during intermission to conduct a test flight for interference and to test our thermal camera's ability to see people in the water and I was called by our PD to land due to the drone film crew freaking out that I was in their air space.

I asked through an intermediary if they had a waiver for flight over people and did not receive an answer. I saw that the Inspire 2 did not have a parachute and as we know it would not be compliant with any new rules on flight over people. This went on for 3 nights straight and I never did hear back about any waiver. They cut down on the flight over people but did not entirely stop. I also requested that they contact the tourism helicopter and come up with a game plan for air space deconfliction. This did not happen either. I did not push the issue as far as I wanted due to the sense that I might not be backed as this event brought in a lot of money.

I just have bad interactions with almost every drone pilot I encounter. From people I know not registering, not taking TRUST, flying commercially without a 107 and just making sure that drones always have a bad name and are flown unsafely and in this case unprofessionally.

On a positive note, we had an air show two days in a row, and at least no drones were spotted breaking the TFR, but PD put out announcements that anyone caught flying would be arrested and have their drone confiscated.
Sound like you live in SFLA, in this place there is a big issue with people not following the rules. I am volunteer for an organization that has a drone program for SAR and help local emergencies and FEMA, I even have a VHF Radio to monitor the local airport tower for air traffic even if I am in Class E airspace and ADS-B scanner. I don't think people would believe how many rules are broken in this area, bye drone operators (if you don't follow the rules, you don't deserve to be called a pilot). It's all about getting the best angle for Instagram. When I have tried to educate them, they get defensive, because they know they don't hold a waiver for what they are doing.
I used to not support remote ID, but I do now and I hope the bad apples get taken down, leave the aerial work for pilots that are in compliance with FAA regulations.

Was it the Phish show in Atlantic City
Some other drone video from the concert. In the comments they talk about seeing the Inspire.

Was it the Phish show in Atlantic City
Some other drone video from the concert. In the comments they talk about seeing the Inspire.
Yes. Phish has a live streaming service fans pay for. Fully understandable that they want to livestream. They could just follow the rules and regs to do so. I saw that video the other day, I like how they show the compliant parts of their flight.

I will be talking to the tourism helicopter pilot soon. We will be mapping beach erosion as soon as the beaches close and I need to coordinate my flights. I am interested in his opinion about the concert.

This kind of thing isn't going to stop because big brother isn't enforcing the rules, and the reality is they don't have the manpower to do so. The FAA makes the rules, they don't normally enforce them, they depend on the DOJ to do the enforcement. I don't know how many of you have dealt with the local FSDO but you will find a variety of attitudes.
It seems to me that law enforcement is reactive not proactive. They wait until the Sh.... hits the fan and then attempt to deal with the incident.
Wait until a drone like the Inspire drops out of the sky and either injures or kills someone and then you will get their full attention. Most likely the operator will be someone that has no insurance, no license, and no assets the anyone can go after. Like my wife says, "you can't suck blood out of at turnup".
Seems to me like the entertainment business has some of the worst offenders when it comes to braking the rules. They get somebody to contract with them to make a shoot like this and you can be assured their contract says the contractor will follow all the federal and locals laws, and they know full well they won't, but at least they have eliminated their liability, or at least lessened it.

Reactions: Midsky8778

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV