Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Recurrency Test?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
I just saw this and thought I'd share with those who are looking to go for your Part 107 ReCurrency Test. This is the route I suggest taking :)

This is from Gold Seal (a sponsor here)

Getting ready for the Recurrent Test? Gold Seal has a new standalone course for just $50 with lifetime access.
Join us at www.UAVGroundSchool.com
49818078_10218404438771554_592261520373579776_n.jpg

If you already passed the test, how difficult could it possibly be to pass the retest? I passed the original test with a score of 97 with no prior knowledge and without paying for instruction. Should just be a matter of boning up on what you already know. What am I missing here?

Reactions: R Martin
If you already passed the test, how difficult could it possibly be to pass the retest? I passed the original test with a score of 97 with no prior knowledge and without paying for instruction. Should just be a matter of boning up on what you already know. What am I missing here?

Are you still comfortable with the regulations and airspace classes/requirements? If you did well on the initial test, you might do well on the recurrent test with just a little refresh.

Are you still comfortable with the regulations and airspace classes/requirements? If you did well on the initial test, you might do well on the recurrent test with just a little refresh.
Thanks for the validation. That is what I was hoping for. That was the point I was trying to make about not paying for a course.

Thanks for the validation. That is what I was hoping for. That was the point I was trying to make about not paying for a course.

While it doesn't apply right now (few changes) it's VERY common for rules & regulations to change over the course of a few years. It's money well spent to stay up to date and "current" with the Rules & Regulations using sources like Gold Seal UAV Ground School.

It's all a function of how hard you studied for the initial test and how much of that you have retained during the ensuing two years. Don't forget that a failure will cost you $150. Gold Seal's Recurrent Course only costs $50...

Reactions: BigAl07
@Russ Still (figured you might know the answer AND maybe know if i need to contact anyone or whom i would need to). I am out of the country for two months, and my part 107 will "expire" or be 2 years (and 32 days) old upon my return. Will i need to take the initial test again or the recurrent or don't know ?

Hey there, md333. No worries. Your Remote Pilot certificate does not expire. You must simply do recurrent training (in the form of studying for and passing the Recurrent test) every 24 calendar months. The clock starts when you passed your previous test and runs out on the last day of the 24th month. No problem in taking the Recurrent test late. Just don't fly under Part 107 during the period that your currency has lapsed. Here's a video that will help:

Has anybody tried the free recurrent course that the FAA offers?

I did the original test for Part 61 pilots before I took my original test but have not taken the recurrent version. Can't hurt as far as a study tool to re-enforce what you know (or don't). Frankly, the recurrent test was not that big a deal. It was a lot worse in my head before I sat down to take it. I actually did better on the recurrency test than I did on the original.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried the free recurrent course that the FAA offers?

So, I just took the course and the exam at the end and it was painless. The regs are an important part of the recurrent exam but the sectional charts are a larger part. The Part 61 recurrency exam does not have anything on your sectionals. There are some other online primers that do use sectionals to ramp you up to taking your test.

Looks like the recurrent test will be dropped. It will just be taking an online course every 24 calendar months. This should save people some money and the hassle of preparing for the UGR.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Looks like the recurrent test will be dropped. It will just be taking an online course every 24 calendar months. This should save people some money and the hassle of preparing for the UGR.

Did not see anything in the language of the proposal that indicated that training would be free. And keep in mind, it is very early in the process and until Congress passes the bill, it is all just words on paper that are subject to change.

Do you have anything to support this? I don't see it happening. If anything I see RPIC testing etc getting tougher going forward not easier.

Those who are saving $150 on the RPIC test are the same ones who are spending that and more keeping our PIC license current. We've invested the time and money already so we take the online portion just to demonstrate we are staying current with relevant sUAS regulations.

Reactions: R Martin
Did not see anything in the language of the proposal that indicated that training would be free. And keep in mind, it is very early in the process and until Congress passes the bill, it is all just words on paper that are subject to change.
No, I didn't either. I suspect it will be delivered by 3rd parties that get their course approved by the FAA and charge a fee. Or perhaps participation in the WINGS program covering related topics. Yes, just words on paper, and could change, but I highly doubt they will move from the concept of recurrent training rather than recurrent testing. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Do you have anything to support this? I don't see it happening. If anything I see RPIC testing etc getting tougher going forward not easier.

Those who are saving $150 on the RPIC test are the same ones who are spending that and more keeping our PIC license current. We've invested the time and money already so we take the online portion just to demonstrate we are staying current with relevant sUAS regulations.

To support it, just the NPRM dated Feb 2019 which reads:

Recurrent Knowledge Training ........................... A person may only operate a small UAS if that person has completed the following in a manner
acceptable to the Administrator within the past 24 months:

(1) Passed an initial aeronautical knowledge test covering the areas of knowledge specified
in § 107.73;

(2) Completed recurrent training covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.73; or

(3) If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under
part 61 and meets the flight review requirements specified in § 61.56, completed training
covering the areas of knowledge specified in § 107.74.

All of this indicates no Remote Pilot testing after the initial. It moves to Remote Pilot training for recurrent.

Reactions: dawgpilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter