Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Recurrent Nighttime Correction Coming

LeeB

Reaction score
I just completed my Part 107 recurrent exam. There was a topic in the training and on the exam where I disagree with the material. I presented this to [email protected] who told me that my interpretation is correct and they will be notifying the course writers. Here's the details:

The regulation states: "The small unmanned aircraft [must have] lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision.”
The training material states: "When conducting sUAS operations during civil twilight or at night, the sUAS must be equipped with anti-collision lights that: Are capable of being visible for at least 3 statue mile from the control station."

The regulation targets visibility to other aircraft while the training targets visibility for the RPIC. I mount my light on top of my drone so other aircraft can see me but according to the training material I should mount on the bottom.

The exam question refers to the light being visible from the control station.

I don't know the time frame for the correction but be aware of the wording for the correct answer.

I had always mounted my strobe on the top for aircraft visibility at night and as a bird deterrent during the day. I have recently attached two side-facing stobes as well for my own visual benefit. Good catch, and thanks for the post.

I don't interpret as that meaning "for the RPIC" but specifically for the conditions and the aircraft at the control station. It's assumed you aren't going to be flying "3 miles" from the control station but your UAS needs to be visible for aircraft for 3 miles.

I suspect they will simply remove the "Control Station" aspect since it has caused some confusion.

Reactions: tleedom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy