Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Registration Card

rpassell

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you receive an updated card after you take your recurrent Part 107 test?

I just took mine and the testing center had no idea if I would get a new one. I honestly can't remember what steps I went through to receive my last one in the mail.

No you don’t. Your original card only has the issue date, no expiration, so once you pass recurrent exam your original card is still valid.

Does anyone know if you receive an updated card after you take your recurrent Part 107 test?

I just took mine and the testing center had no idea if I would get a new one. I honestly can't remember what steps I went through to receive my last one in the mail.

No, you will not get a new card. The paperwork you received from the testing center is your proof that you are current and you need to have that with you when you fly (or a copy).

Reactions: Russ Still
The Remote Pilot certificate is a little different in that you have to retain a copy of your intial test results (UAG), and have it with you while you're operating on that certificate. Some may argue that you don't need to have it physically with you but if you should get ramp checked by an FAA inspector then you should be able to produce your test results. And although ramp checked seems odd with an sUAS, it is an aircraft after all.

Then when it's time for the recurrent (UGR), you can stop carrying the initial AKTR (Airman Knowledge Test Report) and begin carrying the recurrent test results from the UGR test.

This is covered in Appendix 3 in the ACS.

"Applying for a Remote Pilot Certificate with an sUAS Rating and Complying with Knowledge Recency Requirements

Immediately upon completion of the certification or recurrent knowledge test, the applicant receives a printed Airman Knowledge Test Report (AKTR) documenting the score with the airman knowledge testing center's raised, embossed seal. The applicant must retain the original AKTR. Remote pilots with an sUAS rating must retain their passing certification or recurrent AKTR as proof of knowledge recency and must make it available to the Administrator upon request."

It looks like the information I provided will be obsolete soon.

"Second, the FAA proposes to update existing regulations related to remote pilot certification. Currently, part 107 requires remote pilots to take an initial knowledge test and then another test once every two years to maintain a current remote pilot certificate. (§§ 107.61, 107.65). This rule proposes to convert the subsequent knowledge testing requirement to a knowledge training requirement. In addition, the rule proposes to update the testing and training materials to harmonize initial testing and subsequent training, and to add new information about night operations. Section IV.D.2. provides more information about knowledge testing and training."

The Remote Pilot certificate is a little different in that you have to retain a copy of your intial test results (UAG), and have it with you while you're operating on that certificate. Some may argue that you don't need to have it physically with you but if you should get ramp checked by an FAA inspector then you should be able to produce your test results. And although ramp checked seems odd with an sUAS, it is an aircraft after all.

Then when it's time for the recurrent (UGR), you can stop carrying the initial AKTR (Airman Knowledge Test Report) and begin carrying the recurrent test results from the UGR test.

There is no requirement in the regulations to actually carry your test results with you. You just need to be able to present them to the FAA upon request, which can be sometime after the ramp check. FAA inspectors already deal with this same situation for Private Pilots who need to maintain currency -- there is no requirement to actually fly with your logbook and most pilots don't carry their logbooks with them while flying because losing them can be a huge pain in the ***. If the inspector has reason to believe you might be out of currency, then you can schedule an appointment with them later to present any documentation they want to see.

It looks like the information I provided will be obsolete soon.

"Second, the FAA proposes to update existing regulations related to remote pilot certification. Currently, part 107 requires remote pilots to take an initial knowledge test and then another test once every two years to maintain a current remote pilot certificate. (§§ 107.61, 107.65). This rule proposes to convert the subsequent knowledge testing requirement to a knowledge training requirement. In addition, the rule proposes to update the testing and training materials to harmonize initial testing and subsequent training, and to add new information about night operations. Section IV.D.2. provides more information about knowledge testing and training."

Do I take that to mean that recurrent standards will be met with continuing education (CEU's like nurses, attorneys, etc)? That really makes more sense and - selfishly - might expand the opportunity to network with other drone operators and "force" drone educators to offer some meaningful courses!!

Thanks!!

Do I take that to mean that recurrent standards will be met with continuing education (CEU's like nurses, attorneys, etc)? That really makes more sense and - selfishly - might expand the opportunity to network with other drone operators and "force" drone educators to offer some meaningful courses!!

Thanks!!

It will most likely just be an online module, not an in-person thing. The FAA's rationale listed in the NPRM is to reduce the costs involved with traveling to a testing center.

Reactions: NetDep

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC