Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Phantom 4 RTK; Transmission range from D RTK 2 base station to P4 RTK remote controller

SteveBCH

Reaction score
Anyone have much practical experience testing the transmission range between the D RTK 2 and P4 RTK remote controller? The best I can figure out from the documentation/specs is that the OcuSync communication is good for up to 2km under certain, specific field conditions. I'm trying to figure out if I can set up the D RTK 2 base station in a spot and then be a couple hundred yards (or farther) away from it with the remote controller while flying and mapping different parts of a project site. Thanks

Came up with a couple of answers to my question the other day. Set up the D-RTK 2 base station on a river terrace. During the first flight I was 850' upstream and about 20' lower than the base station with a line of a few large spruce trees in between and the base station just visible in the distance between a couple of the trees. Worked just fine. For the second flight I was 650' downstream and about 40' below the base station with several spruce trees in between. I couldn't see the base station at all due to trees and, maybe more importantly, I was below the line of sight below the edge of the bluff. Again, worked fine. I think the second setup was more telling since radio communications are sometimes difficult when one of the radios is lower than the other and below the edge of the bluff. I've had radio communication problems like that when surveying with a robotic total station with the total station up on a terrace and me, with the data collector, along the river just below the line of sight (with survey rod 8' tall and still visible to the TS). Thought the DJI remote controller and D-RTK 2 base station might run into similar issues but, instead, worked great.

Came up with a couple of answers to my question the other day. Set up the D-RTK 2 base station on a river terrace. During the first flight I was 850' upstream and about 20' lower than the base station with a line of a few large spruce trees in between and the base station just visible in the distance between a couple of the trees. Worked just fine. For the second flight I was 650' downstream and about 40' below the base station with several spruce trees in between. I couldn't see the base station at all due to trees and, maybe more importantly, I was below the line of sight below the edge of the bluff. Again, worked fine. I think the second setup was more telling since radio communications are sometimes difficult when one of the radios is lower than the other and below the edge of the bluff. I've had radio communication problems like that when surveying with a robotic total station with the total station up on a terrace and me, with the data collector, along the river just below the line of sight (with survey rod 8' tall and still visible to the TS). Thought the DJI remote controller and D-RTK 2 base station might run into similar issues but, instead, worked great.
This definitely happens with all GNSS from a local base. We saw that at about 1500ft from the base that the fix goes to float occasionally which means that the images in that area have to be moved quite a bit in processing. You can see this instantly if you PPK verify and compare the tracks to one another. As long as that doesn't happen for too many images in a row or in the same area transversely then it will probably be okay after processing. Your accuracy report just may not be as good.

Reactions: SteveBCH
This definitely happens with all GNSS from a local base. We saw that at about 1500ft from the base that the fix goes to float occasionally which means that the images in that area have to be moved quite a bit in processing. You can see this instantly if you PPK verify and compare the tracks to one another. As long as that doesn't happen for too many images in a row or in the same area transversely then it will probably be okay after processing. Your accuracy report just may not be as good.
Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

Reactions: nickli

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91