Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Phew..

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
Just got back from mapping the largest facility I have done. Just to build this...

FFZERO1_024.jpg

And this....

faraday-future-ff91.jpg

The shear size of the building is this...

kPVfJbSl.jpg

I used my Mavic Pro and it performed well even from a gust of 15-18 mph. I used 3 batteries.

I can only hope the data images are clean (935 images) and can find the GCP.

Last edited:
Excellent post. How many acres was this? Was it just the facility or the land and everything?

The recorded data from DD stated 52 acres. Surely felt a lot bigger.

Client only wants the facility not the property. On the business end, they are looking into bringing me out every month as the facility is being renovated. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
The recorded data from DD stated 52 acres. Surely felt a lot bigger.

Client only wants the facility not the property. On the business end, they are looking into bringing me out every month as the facility is being renovated. :)

Well done. That's where most of my bread & butter comes from. The monthly or every other week gigs are Easy as PIE!!

Thanks Brotha. Only issue I got was the surveyor what not present to give me the RTK coordinates for the GCPs and the EPSG Code. Which kind of perturbed me as they need the deliverable by Tuesday.

So I am looking at the Emlid Reach RS+ so I don't have to rely on getting those coordinates. Any experience with them BA?

Thanks Brotha. Only issue I got was the surveyor what not present to give me the RTK coordinates for the GCPs and the EPSG Code. Which kind of perturbed me as they need the deliverable by Tuesday.

So I am looking at the Emlid Reach RS+ so I don't have to rely on getting those coordinates. Any experience with them BA?

No sir I'm afraid not.

It blows Mr. High Dollar Surveyor wasn't there to get things "set" for you.

Looking forward with much excitement to the DJI Phantom 4 RTK hitting the US market. Hope DJI doesn’t follow Trimble & others by pricing it above the average drone operators budget.

That is nothing less than amazing, I'm surprised you used a Mavic. Maybe once you get some time you can update us on how your project turned out.

Reactions: Outta Control
Wow, 935 photos for 52 acres. What altitude were you flying and what were your overlaps. I do 147 acres each month shoot 606 photos. I'm flying at 300 feet and 65/75 overlap.

Ok, that makes sense. Well good luck on your mapping. I don't know about who you are having process them, but our company takes a few days to process the mapping. But they are processing for branches all over the country.

I will but currently the images are still being processed. It has almost been 24 hours since uploaded and this worries me.
What service are you using to process? That is a decent sized data set but 24 hours is a little ridiculous. I process in house with agisoft photoscan and have done larger data sets than that in a shorter amount of time. If you didnt get coordinates on your gcps are you just prpcessing with drone gps data?

What service are you using to process? That is a decent sized data set but 24 hours is a little ridiculous. I process in house with agisoft photoscan and have done larger data sets than that in a shorter amount of time. If you didnt get coordinates on your gcps are you just prpcessing with drone gps data?

Hey Jesse. We are using Drone Deploy. As an update, I re-processed the images and the second time was completed in less than 15 hours. So there must have been some sort of glitch on the first time.

No Faraday's surveyor was to come out and provide me with the GPC and EPSG Codes so I can input them to DD, but he never showed up. I was thinking of getting my own RTK Receiver to get the GCP coordinates but my mapping expert buddy recommend against it and let the licensed surveyor be responsible for those coordinates.

Last edited:
That is nothing less than amazing, I'm surprised you used a Mavic. Maybe once you get some time you can update us on how your project turned out.

Here are some shots of the finished product. I am amazed with the Mavic Pro's ability to generate this image but honestly the next time I will use my new P4P.

As a side note, I would have done the mapping early morning when it was overcast but the client wanted to do it at noon. :(

bgrTk97l.jpg

bVhgrJ4l.jpg

I'm pleased it turned out using the Mavic, the building is massive, can't wait to see what the Pro2 is capable of. How many GCP would you need for a property that size? I'm shooting 143 acres tomorrow for a real estate listing, my biggest project so far.

I don't know your setup. We have been using a couple of Trimble Geo 7X units with a mapping package to set control up until a few months ago. They are nice units for mapping and we are getting centimeter grade accuracy from them as long as they aren't in a blind spot (which is common with all GPS units). Recently we switched to Aeropoints (Drone Data Platform for Worksites | Propeller). You set them out and turn them on, fly your job, turn them off and pick them up in reverse order. They connect to a wifi connection and upload the data. You download the data and report and input your numbers into Pix4D or whatever you are using to process your imagery. Viola! Millimeter accuracy (survey, or for us non-RPLS type, near-survey grade). They are sold in a package of 10 units that can cover up to 300 acres per set.

I'm pleased it turned out using the Mavic, the building is massive, can't wait to see what the Pro2 is capable of. How many GCP would you need for a property that size? I'm shooting 143 acres tomorrow for a real estate listing, my biggest project so far.

I tagged over 25 GPC points but clients only wants 5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV