Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Pix4d Essentials workshop

jourdango

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anybody ever taken the essentials workshop from Pix4d? Wondering what the reviews and after thoughts are... Thanks in advance.

No I have not, I am sure they are great, after all they created the software, However I remember when I bought a 4 wheeler from Honda, They gave me a 4 hour riding course for free.

I'd imagine Honda makes considerably more money than PIX4d. Also different industry. This is a new frontier. Any company can offer training so why not come from the dealer direct. Software is technical and requires experience. An atv not so much.

Why should I pay for the training when I buying that companies product? Either they want me to use it or they don't. Pix 4D is not cheap, nor is the service. I would think a buyer who knows how to use the product because they would be professionally trained by the company would be a better spokesperson for that company, then a buyer who learned how to use the product from YouTube, and then 'trashes' the product on Social Media for not doing what he wants correctly, when in fact he just didn't know how to use the product correctly in the 1st place. This just shows the short sidedness of tech/geek/software companies that understand nothing of marketing and promotion. Again, I use the product, I am self taught, I like the product, but having to pay the same company I purchased a product from to learn how to use that product is just price gauging to me. By the way, If its that complicated that I have to take a $500 course to learn how to use it, well then, that's a problem too.

Reactions: Deltadave
I think its blows that a company that wants you to buy their products.... charges you to learn how to use their products.

Its the standard- many companies with complex software like ArcGIS by ESRI and Creative Suite by Adobe, etc., do it. I dont know about Pix4D’s lessons, but some lessons by other companies are longer than 4 hours- it takes at least 20 hrs to be confident with the more popular of Adobe’s software, and many more to master ESRI’s.

Last edited:
Its the standard- many companies with complex software like ArcGIS by ESRI and Creative Suite by Adobe, etc., do it. I dont know about Pix4D’s lessons, but some lessons by other companies are longer than 4 hours- it takes at least 20 hrs to be confident with the more popular of Adobe’s software, and many more to master ESRI’s.

I think he’s just finding a reason to hate and not understand nothing is free. There’s a value to it that not everyone can understand.

I was hoping this thread would go a different direction.

Reactions: Paul Suthard
And doesn't that suck that "its the standard" I pay my interns to learn their trade. What a great concept (scam) if I was to charge them. Just because it is the standard does not make it right, or smart. I personally think educating people for free on how to use my software is an investment in the future of the software. How many people have downloaded Pix4D and it just sits on their tablets gathering virtual dust because the end user, "the consumer" doesn't know how to use it.

I think he’s just finding a reason to hate and not understand nothing is free. There’s a value to it that not everyone can understand.

I was hoping this thread would go a different direction.
Its not FREE I already paid for it. Now I have to pay again to learn how to use it? Thats not hating that is just bad business.

Its not FREE I already paid for it. Now I have to pay again to learn how to use it? Thats not hating that is just bad business.

I disagree. It’s great business. And there’s a manual you can read to figure it out. You don’t need these classes but they help.

I disagree. It’s great business. And there’s a manual you can read to figure it out. You don’t need these classes but they help.

Of course you can read the manual. Which is what most people do. You can work through it on your own. Great most of us do that with all programs. Maybe non of you guys have ad agencies or work in marketing, but in the case of expanding your user base, the best way to do that is with a user base of people who actually know how to use the program at its best, for you the new consumer to see how its being used by real world users. The best way to do that is to make sure your user base takes advantage of all the program has to offer. Best way to do that is education.... so now you are going to charge to educate your buyers on how to use your program. Most people won't pay, so most people won't be able to create their best on the platform.

So I am being trashed here for saying corporations that sell training after they sell a product to you are running a cash cow scam. How many of you have actually paid for this training? How many would pay for this? and How many would take the course if it was free. Remember your not just paying for training, there is travel, hotel, food, Uber or car Rental? Just wondering how wealthy all you drone pilots are that you can afford this?

So I am being trashed here for saying corporations that sell training after they sell a product to you are running a cash cow scam. How many of you have actually paid for this training? How many would pay for this? and How many would take the course if it was free. Remember your not just paying for training, there is travel, hotel, food, Uber or car Rental? Just wondering how wealthy all you drone pilots are that you can afford this?

My company used to pay for me to go, now I usually pay a educational fee or get it for free through school, depending on the software license.

Nope. Props to you. That is why there are competitors and Pix4D will have to go down in price one day.

I'm all in with you too. How many free trial samples get unused, plus the expensive product itself. I looked at their price matrix and about spit coffee through my nose. I've been using the crap outta the trial sample myself, which is what draws me to this thread, and I know I'm struggling a lot harder than I should.
Start with a bunch of second hand info from different perspectives, trial and error after error after error, watch youtube vids, throw in a healthy dose of ADHD, and WALLAH!!! Bunch of blobby useless poop.
Some interesting results too, as fly the farms around my house.
Yes, free or maybe, $75 lessons would help sell their product as you would become a personal spokesman for your success.

Skip, your views are useful, but I also found that strong attitudes here almost always draw strong resistance (buncha sissies), so to avoid resistance, calm down and just make your point, as hard as it may be......and what kind of man needs ATV lessons? Do you also stop and ask for directions?.........just saying.

Good discussion.
We invested a lot of money for Revit (3D software) and paid for classes to actually learn how begin to use it. This has been true for other software platforms as well. Purchasing software and then also paying for class or instruction on how to be productive, is not uncommon in my experience.
So - if someone attended the Essentials class I would like to hear your thoughts and if it was valuable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker