Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Possible upcoming remote ID regulation

Geo_in_KS

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on this topic? Article with details: Who's That in the Sky? FAA Poised to Move Forward With Drone ID Rule | The Recorder

Ill just quote the main point of the article as that sums it up pretty well-
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is poised to announce soon—possibly as early as this week—action toward a new rule that would eventually clear the way for drones flying over people and beyond the line-of-sight of their operators.

The forthcoming FAA proposal would require adoption of what is known as “remote ID” technology for drones and is seen by attorneys who follow drone law as a critical first step toward permitting a wider range of business uses for unmanned aircraft."

Im sure peoples opinions will vary widely. My thoughts are that any other licensed pilot could be identified readily, so if it will allow us more freedom to do our work, I dont have anything to hide with being identified.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hey Geo_in_KA,

I agree, having a "transponder/remote ID" on the airframe would be fine by me. Interacting with ATCs could potentially be a lot easer. My concern however would be how this added equipment would affect flight time.

esp if it allows for beyond line of site, and flying responsibly over people
I thought that was a bit odd.
But I have no problem with this since it should just do more to weed out the bad actors

I agree, fly safe and professionally as other pilots types are expected to and this will hopefully enable much more opportunity for all commercial UAS Pilots.

What are peoples thoughts on this topic? Article with details: Who's That in the Sky? FAA Poised to Move Forward With Drone ID Rule | The Recorder

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is poised to announce soon—possibly as early as this week—action toward a new rule that would eventually clear the way for drones flying over people and beyond the line-of-sight of their operators.

The forthcoming FAA proposal would require adoption of what is known as “remote ID” technology for drones and is seen by attorneys who follow drone law as a critical first step toward permitting a wider range of business uses for unmanned aircraft."

Im sure peoples opinions will vary widely. My thoughts are that any other licensed pilot could be identified readily, so if it will allow us more freedom to do our work, I dont have anything to hide with being identified.

I honestly can't see transponders on drones, but I could see a ID chip attached to our drones. A transmitter with a fixed 1200 code (VFR) or one set to identify as a drone might work. Actually might not be a good idea.

Reactions: HawkUAV
I like the idea of having a transponder on all the birds, but if it's anything like the ADS-B modules I've seen, they are crazy expensive.

$1500 and $2000.
ping2020

Reactions: R Martin
Hey Geo_in_KA,

I agree, having a "transponder/remote ID" on the airframe would be fine by me. Interacting with ATCs could potentially be a lot easer. My concern however would be how this added equipment would affect flight time.
Another is costs. ADS-B is expensive.

It's now May, anything new?

It's now May, anything new?
I saw an FAA article earlier this week that loosely defined 'remote ID' technology as being either internet based or something along the lines of ADS-B with vocal opponents against both methods. The article stated that it would be proposed changes would be released for public input at an undisclosed date.

Thank you. The decider, as always, is likely to be cost and weight. We are hanging all sorts of things on our UAVs, an ADS-B for them would have to be very small and inexpensive if it will make any difference in the national airspace.

Thank you. The decider, as always, is likely to be cost and weight. We are hanging all sorts of things on our UAVs, an ADS-B for them would have to be very small and inexpensive if it will make any difference in the national airspace.
Check out the pingUSB and the pingRX versions; both under $200.00.
ADS-B

Looks intriguing. If the UAS traffic management (UTM) system NASA is evaluating is satellite based then it should work. UAS fly too low to be picked up by ATC radar. Airplanes should be able to see ADS-B equipped drones if close enough.

Reactions: BigAl07
UAS fly too low to be picked up by ATC radar. ....

^^^^^^^^^^ Bingo
So many people don't understand this or the fact that items the size of our sUAS are intentionally "filtered out". A lot will need to change to incorporate sUAS into the Network in terms of remote ID.

Looks intriguing. If the UAS traffic management (UTM) system NASA is evaluating is satellite based then it should work. UAS fly too low to be picked up by ATC radar. Airplanes should be able to see ADS-B equipped drones if close enough.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. The technological challenges needed to get the system functioning reliably are pretty steep.

I think you are partically correct. I think local radar could pick up a transponder signal and since the operational area of a drone is limited it just might work very well. However I don't think the centers would pick them up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905