Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Problems with high power routers.

R.Perry

Reaction score
I have a new gig at UC Davis, it is a new student housing project, and it is surrounded by student housing.
They have extremely powerful routers, also the highway next to the site has a transmitter, not sure what type.

Any way what was the FCC thinking when they gave us the same frequencies as routers and cell phones?

I flew my first mapping of the site the other day and kept losing the video feed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a fix for it?

There are apps that allow you phone to prioritize a particular wifi network. I used one of those apps to prioritize my P2V+ when I flew at a particular location that would suddenly pick up a different network and drop the connection. Just search "WiFi Prioritizer" in the App Store or Playstore.

Actually, I think going into your wifi settings on your device prior to flying that location and turning off the wifi networks Auto Join option may do the same thing. You should then be able to choose the drone's wifi without worry that it will find and switch to a different wifi signal mid-flight.

Last edited:
There are apps that allow you phone to prioritize a particular wifi network. I used one of those apps to prioritize my P2V+ when I flew at a particular location that would suddenly pick up a different network and drop the connection. Just search "WiFi Prioritizer" in the App Store or Playstore.

Actually, I think going into your wifi settings on your device prior to flying that location and turning off the wifi networks Auto Join option may do the same thing. You should then be able to choose the drone's wifi without worry that it will find and switch to a different wifi signal mid-flight.

Great idea, thanks for the advice, I should have thought of that but didn't.

I have a new gig at UC Davis, it is a new student housing project, and it is surrounded by student housing.
They have extremely powerful routers, also the highway next to the site has a transmitter, not sure what type.

Any way what was the FCC thinking when they gave us the same frequencies as routers and cell phones?

I flew my first mapping of the site the other day and kept losing the video feed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a fix for it?
It's not your cell phone, it's the drone.
The real question should be
"What was the FCC thinking when they put WiFi on the free for all bands (2.5/5.8 GHZ)"
(Answer: the weren't)
Next question:
What was the FAA thinking when they (proposed) putting RID on Wifi band.
(you will notice that they still have not nailed down where it will be, because I am sure behind closed doors the FCC is pushing back on that one)

Reactions: R.Perry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM