Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Question when registering with FAA

theryanguy

Reaction score
I see the two options being commercial and recreation for the registration. My question is what if I just got one and want to fly recreational for now but maybe in near future go into commercial? If I register under Part 107 commercial one does it cover recreational use until I maybe go into commercial? Or do I register recreational for now spend $5 and then when I’m ready register under commercial for another $5?

thanks in advance ?

I see the two options being commercial and recreation for the registration. My question is what if I just got one and want to fly recreational for now but maybe in near future go into commercial? If I register under Part 107 commercial one does it cover recreational use until I maybe go into commercial? Or do I register recreational for now spend $5 and then when I’m ready register under commercial for another $5?

thanks in advance ?
That's what I did

Reactions: theryanguy

thanks in advance ?
From my experience they are two separate types of accounts and while you can migrate the account information to create the new account I don't see a way to move a drone so I think you do just re-register under a new account.

Recreational - One time registration. You are given a number and you place this number on multiple aircraft that you are flying for fun. The registration number is for you rather than an individual aircraft.

Part 107 - Registration of the aircraft itself. Each aircraft you plan to fly for compensation is registered under this and each is given a unique registration.

Register as Recreational. Put that number on all your birds and have fun. If/when you decide to fly for compensation, get your 107 then decide which bird(s) you want to use and register them under the 107 rules. Remove the recreational number and put on the new 107 number specific to the bird.

Get it?

Recreational - One time registration. You are given a number and you place this number on multiple aircraft that you are flying for fun. The registration number is for you rather than an individual aircraft.

Part 107 - Registration of the aircraft itself. Each aircraft you plan to fly for compensation is registered under this and each is given a unique registration.

Register as Recreational. Put that number on all your birds and have fun. If/when you decide to fly for compensation, get your 107 then decide which bird(s) you want to use and register them under the 107 rules. Remove the recreational number and put on the new 107 number specific to the bird.

Get it?
Thanks for that Fred.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I asked the FAA about this last year. I was told that a Part 107 registered sUAS can be flown recreationally, but a recreationally registered sUAS cannot be flown under Part 107. So make the decision if you plan to go 107 or not. If you already have a 107 certificate I'd register it as a 107 sUAS. If not, do as Fred suggested above. Go recreational first and later if you want you can simply register the sUAS under Part 107.

The main difference is under recreational registration you are really registering yourself. Under Part 107 your are registering an individual sUAS.

BTW, you can absolutely fly under Part 107, assuming you hold the certificate, for recreational purposes. You just have to abide by all the 107 rules, which anymore are not a whole lot different from the Section 349 Recreational sUAS Rules.

I asked the FAA about this last year. I was told that a Part 107 registered sUAS can be flown recreationally, but a recreationally registered sUAS cannot be flown under Part 107. So make the decision if you plan to go 107 or not. If you already have a 107 certificate I'd register it as a 107 sUAS. If not, do as Fred suggested above. Go recreational first and later if you want you can simply register the sUAS under Part 107.

The main difference is under recreational registration you are really registering yourself. Under Part 107 your are registering an individual sUAS.

BTW, you can absolutely fly under Part 107, assuming you hold the certificate, for recreational purposes. You just have to abide by all the 107 rules, which anymore are not a whole lot different from the Section 349 Recreational sUAS Rules.
From a conversation I had with our local official he mentioned that even though you are flying "recreationally" that being 107 registered and licensed you're are still subject to those regulations. ???

From a conversation I had with our local official he mentioned that even though you are flying "recreationally" that being 107 registered and licensed you're are still subject to those regulations. ???

Yes, which is exactly what I said above

As I also pointed out, there are not a lot of differences between the two rule sets now for most people. The biggest being flying at night. Under 349 you can fly in Class G airspace at night without doing anything else. But you cannot fly at night in controlled airspace for now. With Part 107 you can obtain 107.29 Daylight waiver to operate at night in controlled airspace and fly at night.

Both require permission (LAANC or DroneZone, or a LOA for fixed recreational sites) to fly in controlled airspace, both restrict you to 400 feet in Class G and the LAANC grid (with some exceptions) in controlled airspace, both require registration of some type, both require a test (recreational test is coming), and both require see and avoid.

Let me add, that if you are flying under the recreational rules using any registered sUAS, then you follow the Section 349 rules, regardless of holding a Part 107 certificate.

It is always worth reading the actual laws

Bottom line, if you only ever want to fly it for recreational purposes then the 336/349 route is the way to go.
If you want to fly under 107 then you must register as 107 sUAS and then you can fly under either set of rules depending on the reason (recreation versus non-recreation).

Make sense?

Just to put a bow on this, I asked the FAA Help Desk about this

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 1:15 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA) <[email protected]>
Subject: Message from www.faa.gov: [email protected]

This email was sent through the Federal Aviation Administration's public website. You have been contacted via an email link on the following page: www.faa.gov/uas/contact_us/

Hello - I hold a Part 107 current certificate. I have a sUAS registered under 14CFR47.110.

Can I operate that sUAS under the Section 349 rules as a recreational sUAS, or do I have to fly under Part 107 rules even if flying for recreational purposes?

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

As a Part 107 pilot you may conduct recreational flights. You cannot mix...before take-off you must make a determination which set of rules you are complying with.

Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected] or call 844-FLY-MY-UA. Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).

Follow us at the new @FAADroneZone on Facebook and Twitter for the latest FAA drone news, safety tips, and educational information.

We appreciate your feedback. Please select: UAS Safety and Integration Division AUS-400.

-

To be clear on this:

Yes, a 107 licensed pilot can fly a 107 registered drone "recreationally". Just as the FAA responded, make the determination before you take off and you cannot mix the flight. It's either Recreational or Commercial 107.

For example, I'm flying my Typhoon from my backyard just for fun. Nothing to do with my business whatsoever and none of the images will be used for my business. I'm just out having fun. I decide to follow Recreational Ruleset....NOT the 107 Ruleset. Just because I'm a 107 Pilot flying a 107 registered aircraft, as long as it's a "Recreational Flight" then I'm bound by the "Recreational Ruleset." (If I choose it)

Of course, if I so choose, I can follow the 107 Ruleset. That's what the FAA means above when they say:

...As a Part 107 pilot, you may conduct recreational flights. You cannot mix...before take-off you must make a determination which set of rules you are complying with...
(Emphasis mine)

Why would I choose Recreational? Well, say I don't have my 107.29 Daylight Wavier and I want some personal night images of my property (or whatever). I choose the Recreational Ruleset because there's no restriction to Recreational Flyers to flying at night like there is the 107 Ruleset. (not as of the date f this post anyway)

It is up to you to designate what type of flight you are going to conduct prior to flight. You can fly as recreational or 107. You can not combine rules in the same flight. You are bound by the rules you choose for that flight. Your local official was confused.

It is up to you to designate what type of flight you are going to conduct prior to flight. You can fly as recreational or 107. You can not combine rules in the same flight. You are bound by the rules you choose for that flight. Your local official was confused.
From what the rep told me that is not the case. If you are a 107 pilot then you are always subject to those regulations. Although they may crossover quite a bit as @Phaedrus commented. I don't know how much stock I put in his words as it takes at least a half-day to get a LAANC authorization through them. I have much smaller airports that are instantaneous.

From what the rep told me that is not the case. If you are a 107 pilot then you are always subject to those regulations. Although they may crossover quite a bit as @Phaedrus commented. I don't know how much stock I put in his words as it takes at least a half-day to get a LAANC authorization through them. I have much smaller airports that are instantaneous.

I guess the response from the FAA was not as clear as I thought.

A Part 107 certified pilot may fly their Part 107 registered sUAS under the recreational rules per the FAA. Choose to believe whatever "local officials" may say, the FAA says this is the case.

You choose which rules you are going to fly under, then fly. It is not any more complicated than that.

I thought it might be a little sketchy. Do you have some documentation that verifies it?

Posted just a couple of posts above yours:

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 1:15 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA) <[email protected]>
Subject: Message from www.faa.gov: [email protected]

This email was sent through the Federal Aviation Administration's public website. You have been contacted via an email link on the following page: www.faa.gov/uas/contact_us/

Hello - I hold a Part 107 current certificate. I have a sUAS registered under 14CFR47.110.

Can I operate that sUAS under the Section 349 rules as a recreational sUAS, or do I have to fly under Part 107 rules even if flying for recreational purposes?

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

As a Part 107 pilot you may conduct recreational flights. You cannot mix...before take-off you must make a determination which set of rules you are complying with.

Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected] or call 844-FLY-MY-UA. Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).

Follow us at the new @FAADroneZone on Facebook and Twitter for the latest FAA drone news, safety tips, and educational information.

We appreciate your feedback. Please select: UAS Safety and Integration Division AUS-400.

Where is the confusion in this??

Posted just a couple of posts above yours:

Where is the confusion in this??
We ask questions to clear up confusion so I am sorry if you don't like teaching people. Fact is that most cities and/or regions have FAA officials and they are the people that you are most likely to be dealing with on an ongoing basis. Correct a law enforcement officer is one thing because they may not understand or have been misinformed, but to get into a discussion like that directly with FAA personnel is a different matter. The other part of confusion is that I have said the same thing twice and you answered it differently each time.

chasco said:

phaedrus said:
Yes, which is exactly what I said above

So which is it? The other conflict that I keep seeing is that when you register recreationally it is more of a pilot registration number than it is an individual aircraft number. Part 107 registrations are specific to each aircraft whereas a recreational registration can be applied to the recreational user's fleet as desired. If you are flying at night "recreationally" and run into a situation where you have to provide your information then your are a Part 107 pilot with a Part 107 registered aircraft. That's simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM