Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Reasons for getting "N" numbers from the FAA

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
It's my understanding that "N" numbers are not required by the FAA to operate a drone. Example: "N12345". I just noticed a Phantom 4 Pro in the FAA registry with an N number associated with it. The registration date was March of 2017 (after Part 107 went into effect). What are possible reasons a drone owner would ask for and obtain an N" number from the FAA when it's not required??

Reference: FAA Registry

It's my understanding that "N" numbers are not required by the FAA to operate a drone. Example: "N12345". I just noticed a Phantom 4 Pro in the FAA registry with an N number associated with it. The registration date was March of 2017 (after Part 107 went into effect). What are possible reasons a drone owner would ask for and obtain an N" number from the FAA when it's not required??

Reference: FAA Registry

It's a preference for some...and, may even be a requirement for some public agencies per internal policy or procedure.

You don't have to have an N number for drones, but, you can get one if you prefer.

Traditional Aircraft Registration under 14 CFR Part 47,
Is required
  • for Unmanned Aircraft that weigh 55 pounds or more,
  • for sUA owned by a trustee under a trust agreement,
  • when the sUA owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements,
Is available
  • for sUA that need N-number registration to operate outside the U.S.,
  • when public recording is desired for a sUA's loan, lease, or ownership documents,
Registration is required for Government UA. All Aircraft owned by agencies, offices or subdivisions of: the United States (other than aircraft of the U.S. Armed Forces), the States, the District of Columbia, or a territory or possession of the United States must be registered in accordance with 14 C.F.R. Part 47 or Part 48.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Having an N# can make your life a lot more complicated if you need to sell/replace an aircraft etc. The web portal is your best option and we can leave the N# process to manned aviation and special types of aircraft.

"Registration is required for Government UA." Unfortunately I learned two new things today and one I wish I didn't...good thing I had previously reserved an N#. Guess I have to get it now.

Be careful about applying for N numbers if you don't really need one. There have been some previous posts about owners getting large tax bills from state revenue agencies for their "registered aircraft" after they applied for an N number. It appears that some of these agencies monitor the N-number registry for that purpose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM