Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

reduce photo using MB not pixels

Mark Stewart

Reaction score
Website
hiflyinspections.com
Can any one help with this or point me in the direction of a YouTube vid. I am trying to upload a photo to get a canvas print done 16x20 The file size is 21MB but the upload limit is 20MB how do I reduce that using MB not pixels if you know what I mean

If the photo is in jpg or png format, then you should be able to load it in something like gimp and save it back out with a slightly more aggressive compression level. I think imagemagick can do the same sort of thing from the command line. I'm sure there are plenty of other commercial and free tools that can do similar things if you hunt around a bit.

What software do you have access to for editing? Photoshop, Lightroom, CaptureOne, Luminar?
Depending on the software you can change the output size in MB by scaling it down or reducing the dimensions proportionally, or changing the quality level.

Can any one help with this or point me in the direction of a YouTube vid. I am trying to upload a photo to get a canvas print done 16x20 The file size is 21MB but the upload limit is 20MB how do I reduce that using MB not pixels if you know what I mean
If you are talking about a single photo, save it as a jpg.
Jpg image files from a 20 MP camera are usually about 4-6 MB.

Reactions: LARA images
What software do you have access to for editing? Photoshop, Lightroom, CaptureOne, Luminar?
Depending on the software you can change the output size in MB by scaling it down or reducing the dimensions proportionally, or changing the quality level.
Luminar 3 is what I use And guys thanks for the response. I know I can just reduce the height and width but does that not change the crop size and by how much would I reduce it to lower it by 1 meg?

Luminar 3 is what I use And guys thanks for the response. I know I can just reduce the height and width but does that not change the crop size and by how much would I reduce it to lower it by 1 meg?
Save it as a jpg and you'll drop the file size to around 5 MB while keeping the same dimensions.

Reactions: LARA images
As long as you reduce the height and width proportionality, you won't change the crop. Here are the original dimensions and size.

Here is the result of changing Long Edge.

One way to do this in Luminar 3 is when you export, select Long Edge in Resize. And reduce the value a little at a time, until you get the reduction you want. Long Edge will reduce the size of the short edge proportionately. What happens is the file size is reduced and the resolution is reduced based upon how much smaller you make the image.

Here is a screenshot of both images and as you can see the crop remains the same.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.55.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.55.54 AM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.56.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.56.51 AM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 2
As long as you reduce the height and width proportionality, you won't change the crop. Here are the original dimensions and size.
View attachment 1176

Here is the result of changing Long Edge.
View attachment 1178

One way to do this in Luminar 3 is when you export, select Long Edge in Resize. And reduce the value a little at a time, until you get the reduction you want. Long Edge will reduce the size of the short edge proportionately. What happens is the file size is reduced and the resolution is reduced based upon how much smaller you make the image.
View attachment 1174

Here is a screenshot of both images and as you can see the crop remains the same.

View attachment 1179

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much Chris great post and thanks to the rest of you guys

Reactions: Chris Anson
Coming from the photography world first there is a program called JPEGMini that is a stand alone piece of software and also a plug in for lightroom and photoshop. I have used it for a while now and it does a pretty darn good job of image compression without any real visual loss of quality. I run almost every image that I output in jpg through the software. I usually start with the raw file, output it as a full resolution jpeg into photoshop from camera raw, then save it using jpeg mini. This method requires no re-sizing of the image, but relies on a different compression method. If you want to try it, send me a file and I will process it and send it back.

Mark

Coming from the photography world first there is a program called JPEGMini that is a stand alone piece of software and also a plug in for lightroom and photoshop. I have used it for a while now and it does a pretty darn good job of image compression without any real visual loss of quality. I run almost every image that I output in jpg through the software. I usually start with the raw file, output it as a full resolution jpeg into photoshop from camera raw, then save it using jpeg mini. This method requires no re-sizing of the image, but relies on a different compression method. If you want to try it, send me a file and I will process it and send it back.

Mark
Thanks Mark Just downloaded it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku