Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Renewal of remote pilot license (is it necessary in a case like mine)

Burbankjim

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I got my private pilot's license in the early '80s but had not been current since the late '90s. About a year ago I took and passed the part 107 exam and received my Remote Pilots license. The process of studying for part 107 caused me to decide to get current again as a Private pilot after an almost 21 year absence. I needed about 16 hours recurrent training with an instructor, but I have been current now since July. So I now hold an FAA Remote Pilot's license and a current Private Pilot's license. My question is this. My Part 107 license is good for about one more year and my PPL is good for about a year and a half. Since I will still be current with my PPL, will I need to take the recurrent test to keep my Part 107 license current or will the fact that I will still be current as a Private Pilot cover that? I ask, because I think that licensed and current general aviation pilots are not required to take the Part 107 exam to be a commercial drone pilot, so it stands to reason, that it would not be necessary for maintaining currency as a Remote Pilot. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)

IF you're current with Part 61 you only take the ONLINE Part 107 test but that credential is ONLY good so long as you are current with Part 61.

Worse case it's a good incentive to keep you PPL current.

Yes...in fact getting the Part 107 is actually what inspired me to get current as a Private Pilot. So, what you say is true if you are a current Part 61 pilot applying for Remote Pilot certificate. But, is that also what happens at the time of renewal of your Remote Pilot certificate comes. I will be a current Private pilot at the time my Remote Pilot is up for renewal. Would I need to take the same on-line test to remain current as a Remote Pilot when the time comes?

--Jim

" I will be a current Private pilot at the time my Remote Pilot is up for renewal. Would I need to take the same on-line test to remain current as a Remote Pilot when the time comes?"

To answer your question .... NO. Your remote pilot is good for 24 calendar months, If your 2 year Part 61 flight check is not current, your Remote pilot is no longer current. You only need to take the recurrent online test once every 2 years as well as your 2 year fight review.

Last edited:
The FAA’s free, online Remote Pilot test is only applicable to full scale pilots that are current. Your full scale and 107 certificates do not share the same dates unless you obtained them on the same day. In all probability they have different currency expiration dates.

If you maintain full scale currency you can renew 107 currency using the online test. If you allow your full scale currency to lapse you would have to renew your 107 at a test center for a $150.00 fee. The two certificates are independent of each other so maintaining full scale currency will not automatically extend 107 currency.

Reactions: JDSimpson
The FAA’s free, online Remote Pilot test is only applicable to full scale pilots that are current. Your full scale and 107 certificates do not share the same dates unless you obtained them on the same day. In all probability they have different currency expiration dates.

If you maintain full scale currency you can renew 107 currency using the online test. If you allow your full scale currency to lapse you would have to renew your 107 at a test center for a $150.00 fee. The two certificates are independent of each other so maintaining full scale currency will not automatically extend 107 currency.
Thanks. This is the info I was looking for.

Note that the FAA also offers a free online Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent course (to prepare for the free online exam) for Part 61-current pilots.

Reactions: Burbankjim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM