Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Replacing my P4 by a P4P v2, do I transfer the registration?

Please, what am I supposed to do? I have my P4 already registered. I will keep it as a back up. I plan to use my new P4P v2 for all purposes from now on.

A while back, doing some research on the same question, I found several posts with conflicting information.

So, I just decided to register all of my drones (Inspire 1 V2, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark) separately. What the heck...it's only $5per.

Reactions: lalvar41
As far as I know, you can't transfer registration from one aircraft to another.

When we had our P4 Pro replaced under DJI Care Refresh, I had to register the replacement aircraft since the serial number was different. Then I went back and removed the original aircraft. I never saw any option to transfer.

As far as I know, you can't transfer registration from one aircraft to another.

When we had our P4 Pro replaced under DJI Care Refresh, I had to register the replacement aircraft since the serial number was different. Then I went back and removed the original aircraft. I never saw any option to transfer.

You "CAN" (or at least you could early on) transfer but it's a total PITA and requires forms to be filled out, mailed in, reviewed etc and it costs $10 to transfer it. Keep in mind this process is designed for MANNED aircraft transfers but it "can" be done with a sUAS. We ended up dropping the process and simply registering the new ones from scratch because it was quick, easy, and CHEAPER than the transfer process.

Side Note: This was back in early 2017 so some things could have changed in the process since that time.

Just curios BA but if you take one out of your fleet is there paper work to be done to notify the FAA ?

If you merely registered via the online portal you go to FAADroneZone > Part 107 Dashboard > Manage sUAS Inventory > and once there click on the 3 vertical dots after the aircraft in question. Your options are:
Clone (add new identical sUAS to your inventory)
Details (get full details about aircraft selected)
Cancel (Cancels this aircraft registration and removes it from your Inventory)
Resend (resends the Registration email in case you need it again)

If you went the N# route then yes there is paperwork (FAA forms) you have to fill out (in writing) and send in for them to cancel that registration. When we lost ours in the lake I initially was going to Transfer the Reg to the new aircraft but after seeing the hassle I just opted to CANCEL it and re-register the new aircraft via the web portal. I had to fill out the forms and mail them into the FAA. A few weeks later I got confirmation back that it had been canceled and the Reg# was "not available" for 3 (or maybe 5) years now.

Reactions: dirkclod
You stated you are going to keep the P4 for a backup, to me that implies that you may be flying it at some time in the future. I would think it would be much wiser to just register the new P4P that way if you do find a need for the P4 it's registration is good. Besides it sounds like it would be more work and costly to transfer the registration.

I would whole-heartedly agree with R. Perry. If you have two aircraft in your fleet (one primary & one backup) you need to have tow registration numbers: one, to stay on the FAA's good side; and, two, to stay on your insurance company's good side. (Personally, I'd be concerned that the latter might very well say (in effect) "no registration = illegal to fly = voided coverage."

Then again, if you really wanted to play it safe you could contact your local FISDO office and insurance underwriter for their official interpretations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku