Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Requirements for operating drone in airside areas of airports?

MavicMapper

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with airside drone operations in movement or non movement areas of airports? I am planning to use my drone within these areas for work purposes in the future.

I am just curious of any additional provisions outside of those outlined in part 107 (obtaining an FAA waiver) that may be necessary in order to do this. I would imagine full-time contact with ATC is required.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

We HAVE done work like this but didn't get approval through LAANC for it. We were working with the airport and had to submit our SOP's, Emergency Procedures, multiple interviews, and had an airport safety office (with ATC radio) with us the whole time.

What I found strange (and almost comical) is that even though the airport was hiring us to do this, initially we were denied our request for this operation. We had to have the airport manager coordinate with ATC (as in Left Hand meet Right Hand) to get the ball rolling.

That’s great info, thanks! Just trying to build some perspective of what this type of work will entail. I will also be working with the airport directly so I will anticipate jumping through some similar hoops.

Also this airport resides in class C airspace if that information is of interest.

That’s great info, thanks! Just trying to build some perspective of what this type of work will entail. I will also be working with the airport directly so I will anticipate jumping through some similar hoops.

Also this airport resides in class C airspace if that information is of interest.

Ours was also in CHARLIE airspace. :)

Reactions: MavicMapper
Same here, we were approved (not LAANCE) through COA with the help of a very nice FAA reviewer. Airport manager is the key to approval, though they say it isn't their decision, they are contacted by the FAA on your behalf.

We HAVE done work like this but didn't get approval through LAANC for it. We were working with the airport and had to submit our SOP's, Emergency Procedures, multiple interviews, and had an airport safety office (with ATC radio) with us the whole time.

What I found strange (and almost comical) is that even though the airport was hiring us to do this, initially we were denied our request for this operation. We had to have the airport manager coordinate with ATC (as in Left Hand meet Right Hand) to get the ball rolling.

BigA, you mean you never had ATC fail to tell the Tower that you were being handed off to them for your approach.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905