Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Safety Guidelines flying on the end of a Class G untowered airport

Noxid86

Reaction score
So my boss booked me for a gig tomorrow outside of Chicago. I took a look at the location and realized it is 2000 feet off the tip of a runway ?

Firstly I'd like to double check with you all regarding the regulations here as I have not had to deal with class d/e airspace much before. It is my understanding that this airport, as it has no airspace ring around it and is magenta therefor has no tower, is class E airspace -several hundred?- feet above but class G airspace where I will be flying my drone. Am I correct here?

Assuming I am correct and it is totally legal to fly here... we are right off the end of the runway. How do we make this safe?

The star "Victory Cathedral" is the location of the flight.

Thanks!

Assuming I am correct and it is totally legal to fly here... we are right off the end of the runway. How do we make this safe?

The star "Victory Cathedral" is the location of the flight.

Thanks!

You are in Class G airspace so it is legal to operate. Personally I would contact the airport manager and talk it through with him so there is no confusion and also file a NOTAM 24 hours prior to the flight.

JOSEPH DE PAULO
130 S CLOW INTL PARKWAYEMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]
BOLINGBROOK, IL 60490
630-378-0479

I appreciate the response. I've never filed a Notam, googling how now but if you have any tips I'm ears. Thanks!

Nice guide. ENII requires you be approved before you can use the site (or it did a few years back when I registered).

I love ENII. I have a text file with all my job locations so filing is quick. Takes more work to learn but it's worth it. Back when I was using the so called DROTAMS via 1800weatherbrief I checked the FAA NOTAM search and learned none of my "DROTAMS" appeared. Back in 2015 they were owned and run by Lockheed. After I asked about why the DROTANS were not appearing in the FAAs NOTAM website, they told me they were working on it.

Anyway, as a pilot I prefer ENII.

I love ENII. I have a text file with all my job locations so filing is quick. Takes more work to learn but it's worth it. Back when I was using the so called DROTAMS via 1800weatherbrief I checked the FAA NOTAM search and learned none of my "DROTAMS" appeared. Back in 2015 they were owned and run by Lockheed. After I asked about why the DROTANS were not appearing in the FAAs NOTAM website, they told me they were working on it.

Anyway, as a pilot I prefer ENII.
I prefer ENII as well. I grab State Plane coordinates from ESRI and then convert them to DMS here State Plane Coordinate System

I prefer ENII as well. I grab State Plane coordinates from ESRI and then convert them to DMS here State Plane Coordinate System
Old habits are hard to break. I keep my sectional and plotter on my desk and get the coords from nearest VOR. Still like to think I'm a real pilot. :D

Is that really necessary? I have 107 and a nav radio. Listening and announcing position should meet the requirements.

Reactions: BryanD
Is that really necessary? I have 107 and a nav radio. Listening and announcing position should meet the requirements.
No it's not necessary. If it's busy I will inform I am in the vicinity. nav is good to have as you stated.
You are not allowed to communicate with aircraft pilots, bad, bad, bad.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
No.

Great way to piss off a lot of people. Unless, of course, it’s a life or death emergency......
When I operate near busy uncontrolled airports I announce myselfon the CTAF or UNICOM, could care less who doesn't like it. Manned AC pilots do not own any frequencies. My safety procedures are not based on who gets pissed off. They'll get over it. :D

No.
Great way to piss off a lot of people. Unless, of course, it’s a life or death emergency......
As a GA pilot, and a 107 pilot, no one has ever complained to me about information broadcast that is meant to improve their safety. As a GA pilot, I would appreciate knowing that the drone pilot is monitoring the freq and will respond to requests. It is all about communicating safety information. NOTAM? is it really necessary? That was not part of any 107 training. I am talking G airspace only.

No.

I have always heard that we should not transmit (unless an emergency) and should only listen in. But if it was done properly, why would this piss people off? This is an honest question. I am considering buying an aviation radio and would like to understand the rules of using it.

I have always heard that we should not transmit (unless an emergency) and should only listen in. But if it was done properly, why would this piss people off? This is an honest question. I am considering buying an aviation radio and would like to understand the rules of using it.
Bryan
There is a lot of misinformation floating around on this issue, mostly opinions.

I'm gonna give you the straight poop on UAS pilots transmitting on aviation frequencies. IF I'M WRONG ANYONE PLEASE RESPOND WITH FACTS, NOT OPINIONS:

FACT- There are no FARs prohibiting any certificated pilot from using an HT to make blind calls for safety purposes.
OPINION-
I do not try to call any towers for obvious reasons, first, they are unlikely to hear you from a ground based HT, and second, they'll probably react with a WTF? I've only used HTs to make advisory blind calls near un-towered airports on a CTAF or UNICOM. In controlled airspace, I file my LAANC and NOTAM so I've done my due diligence...and I still monitor the freq.
FACT- Everyone here is supposed to be a certificated 107 pilot so I assume they know what a CTAF is...

The other discussion you may hear is the issue of the FCC. GA aircraft do have FCC station licenses. Back when I began flying (1969) in a fabric covered Piper Colt (the CAP wouldn't pay for a C-150) pilots were required to obtain an FCC Radiotelephone operator permit (this was done away with a few years later, but I could be wrong).

FACT- No official FCC ruling on UAS pilots yet, but lots of opinions and discussionS. Call two FCC field offices and you are likely to get three opinions.
FACT- A Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is only $70 and no test. I got mine in case some FCC dude decides to hassle me in the field. Great article on this here:

OPINION- Bottom line? There is none, so I got my FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit and will continue to use my aviation HT to make advisory blind calls near un-towered airports on a CTAF or UNICOM. Is some GA pilots don't like It? Tough.

Reactions: R Martin and Joe
Thanks for all the great information Luis! CTAF around untowered airports is exactly what I was wondering about. I haven't flown in that airspace before but wanted to get a radio and learn how to monitor CTAF in case I ever needed to. I had always heard that suas pilots shouldn't transmit unless it was a emergency but if done properly I don't see why it would be a bad thing.

So what would you say when you announce yourself on CTAF?

Reactions: R Martin
First, observe the airport's traffic pattern and stay well away from it. Flying on the approach/departure path to any runway is a major hazard to be avoided. Generally left patterns, but some may be right pattern. The airport data box will tell you that.

LISTEN TO THE FREQ FIRST AND ENSURE YOU WON'T CUT ANYBODY OFF
Example- "Casa Grande (my closest airport) traffic, November 5 1 5 Lima Mike (my UAS N#), unmanned aerial vehicIe at SIXTEEN HUNDRED feet two miles north ." If I'm near a well known local spot or a VFR waypoint I'll use that.
Some times I'll substitute "drone" for UAS, that gets their attention. ;)
A lot of the pilots at these fields are either students or low time pilots. Don't add to their cockpit workload, keep it short.
Use MSL altitudes, all pilots do. Elevation at your site 1400 +your drone altitude 200=1600.
This is a blind call, you will not get a response unless someone asks for a repeat "say again." And only planes very close to you will hear you, particularly if you are using a rubber ducky antenna. I use a mag antenna on the roof of my SUV.

Pilots on a CTAF xmit their positions "in the blind" i.e. "Skyhawk niner niner golf on final." There is no tower to respond, uncontrolled fields operate on a see and be seen principle and maintaining situational awareness. Pilots "build" a mental picture of the traffic in their heads. The system sounds iffy but it works well.

Spend time listening to the airport's radio traffic and you'll get it. Im sure other GA pilots here will jump in and add to my comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe
One thing I'd like to point out here.... those who ARE operating on the radio just happen to already be experienced pilots and already deeply acquainted with how to communicate on the radio. This is a HUGE benefit and, like it or not, puts you on a different level when it comes to Radio Comms.

Getting on a handheld and saying, "Hey guys, this is drone guy 123 and I'm umm... I think I'm over on Johnny's Corner next one of the runways. I'm going to fly over this area with my XYZ drone and take some important pictures for a client. If you don't mind, don't fly over this area for the next 30 minutes or so. Thank you and have a nice day."

Now the above "comment" was an extreme (and an attempt comedy) expression but it drives home the difference that precision and expediency is needed when operating on the radio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM