Rob Hodges

Reaction score
PAYOUT
$50
----------------------------------------------------
FLIGHT DATE
Best time available
Please refer to mission details and
respond to this email if bad weather is anticipated.
Instructions
  • Weather: Up to 100% cloudy
  • Scope: (9) aerial images
  • The tenants are not aware of this inspection. Shoot from the street and do not interact with or disturb the tenants. Be discreet.
  • Your vehicle cannot be visible in the images. Do not park in front of the home.
  • Please confirm the address before shooting.
  • Do not shoot if the property is covered in snow. Up to 6" of snow cover is acceptable.
  • Do not fly on a holiday or weekends
  • At least 9 images must be provided. If any of the requested images are difficult or not possible please substitute with a different shot.
  • If you are approached by the tenant: Please let them know you are flying this mission on behalf of DroneBase to do a property inspection. You are abiding by all FAA regulations and legally allowed to fly. If they ask you to stop taking pictures please do so and then send us an update.
  • Only accept if you are allowed to fly in this airspace.
  • If mission is in restricted airspace - Operator must check dji.com/flysafe 24 hours before capture and follow the instructions under Unlocking Request.

There were two similar jobs and physically, not close together. Several questions stand out in my mind.
The "tenants" are not aware of this inspection?
If approached and they ask you to stop taking pictures, then do so?
If it was a landlord/tenant thing, then the landlord has the right and should notify the tenant.
If it is an official city government thing, then it would be downright illegal.

Does anyone know what in the world is this about?
I heard of another pilot taking one and getting grilled by a homeowner who didn't request pictures. He wasn't a "tenant".
If the people living in them don't know about the pictures, aren't you taking the risk of getting arrested for surveillance?
I wouldn't take something like this, but someone snapped them up very quickly.

I can only think of a few reasons to take pictures of someone's house without their knowledge and none of them are good.
Not being able to do them on Holidays or weekends tells me that "discreet" is definitely the key factor here.
I'm very curious about the purpose of these "missions".

"Do not shoot if the property is covered in snow. Up to 6" of snow cover is acceptable."

So what's the difference between 6", 8" or 20" of snow? Everything is covered in either case. It's a bizarre job posting for $50, and that's before considering gas money, prep time, and wear and tear on the equipment. Basically doing it at cost and probably risking legal repercussions. Sounds like someone wanting to spy on a cheating spouse.

It seems like owner of property wants to see if tenants are taking care of his property.

“Do not fly on Holidays or Weekends” because tenant is surely likely to be home.

“$50.00” they got to be out of their freakin minds.

Reactions: tjSTUDIO
...Basically doing it at cost...

No, that's less than cost. When you figure in your time, equipment use, travel, and most important: FLIGHT LIABILITY INSURANCE...that $50 doesn't cover it. The operators who take a job like this are not operating properly and covering their client as well as themselves. Anyone who would take a job like this, I would consider extremely suspect and not a professional in any way.

I wish the FAA would ramp check these jokers.

We have a lot of competition in this area, so the jobs were jumped on, after I turned them down. Even though I consider myself a bottom feeder (one person, two drone operation), I wouldn't take them because of the cost, and would end up with less than $7.00 an hour (they are pretty close). More than that though, it suspiciously sounded like surveillance, which is illegal without a warrant if it's a city entity, or at all, if it's private. I thought about it being a landlord-tenant situation, but discounted that because the landlord has a perfect right to do it and should have no problem informing the tenant of that fact.

We have a lot of competition in this area, so the jobs were jumped on, after I turned them down. Even though I consider myself a bottom feeder (one person, two drone operation), I wouldn't take them because of the cost, and would end up with less than $7.00 an hour (they are pretty close). More than that though, it suspiciously sounded like surveillance, which is illegal without a warrant if it's a city entity, or at all, if it's private. I thought about it being a landlord-tenant situation, but discounted that because the landlord has a perfect right to do it and should have no problem informing the tenant of that fact.
That mission is standard for a residential property, the choice is, do you see it being profitable to you. I just did one for a commercial property the pay was low, but I didn't need to leave my home. The facility was only 1k feet away and I flew it from my drive way. No drive time, No fuel cost, better wifi connection (house wifi), flying from a shaded position. I fly over this location just for training and practice, so now I get $150 to let Dronedeploy do the work. 15min later I walk back into my house, The choice is yours!

That mission is standard for a residential property, the choice is, do you see it being profitable to you. I just did one for a commercial property the pay was low, but I didn't need to leave my home. The facility was only 1k feet away and I flew it from my drive way. No drive time, No fuel cost, better wifi connection (house wifi), flying from a shaded position. I fly over this location just for training and practice, so now I get $150 to let Dronedeploy do the work. 15min later I walk back into my house, The choice is yours!
I do quite a bit of both commercial and residential real estate and that was the first time I've seen when you can't communicate with the residents and if the residents want you to leave, you leave.

You aren't always supposed to give them the details of why you are taking the pictures for Commercial, just that the property owner ordered them, but there is no reason not to for residential, which these two jobs were. In all the cases I've worked, they've been notified by the real estate agent, or the landlord that I may be coming. In a recent case of a job like this (I think it was in Florida), it was an actual homeowner confronted the pilot. I never heard who ordered the pictures, but it wasn't the homeowner. That made me suspicious when I saw these two jobs. It could be a neighbor looking to turn them in for something (illegal surveillance), a homeowner's association (which I guess would actually be legal since they probably consented to "oversight") or a regulatory agency (requires a legal warrant).

There are privacy issues and legal issues. If you do that in North Carolina (requires a separate certificate), you will get into trouble, (probably charged with illegal surveillance) and in some locations, your drone shot down.

I do quite a bit of both commercial and residential real estate and that was the first time I've seen when you can't communicate with the residents and if the residents want you to leave, you leave.

You aren't always supposed to give them the details of why you are taking the pictures for Commercial, just that the property owner ordered them, but there is no reason not to for residential, which these two jobs were. In all the cases I've worked, they've been notified by the real estate agent, or the landlord that I may be coming. In a recent case of a job like this (I think it was in Florida), it was an actual homeowner confronted the pilot. I never heard who ordered the pictures, but it wasn't the homeowner. That made me suspicious when I saw these two jobs. It could be a neighbor looking to turn them in for something (illegal surveillance), a homeowner's association (which I guess would actually be legal since they probably consented to "oversight") or a regulatory agency (requires a legal warrant).

There are privacy issues and legal issues. If you do that in North Carolina (requires a separate certificate), you will get into trouble, (probably charged with illegal surveillance) and in some locations, your drone shot down.
For the few residential jobs ( I mainly only do commercial) I have done and seen this is normal. One of the reasons that they state, not to park close to the property, This could be a landlord/Bank situation that you have no knowledge of and you can asked (not that you will get an answer) Your insurance should have indemnity clause in it to cover you as a third party contractor from nefarious activity's that you have no knowledge of. As long as you follow the guild lines of the FAA you are in the clear.

For the few residential jobs ( I mainly only do commercial) I have done and seen this is normal. One of the reasons that they state, not to park close to the property, This could be a landlord/Bank situation that you have no knowledge of and you can asked (not that you will get an answer) Your insurance should have indemnity clause in it to cover you as a third party contractor from nefarious activity's that you have no knowledge of. As long as you follow the guild lines of the FAA you are in the clear.
Hadn't thought of landlord-bank situation. That would make sense. Thanks.

..Your insurance should have indemnity clause in it to cover you as a third party contractor from nefarious activity's that you have no knowledge of...
I have never heard of this. I've had quite a bit of experience with Indemnification Trusts and insurance coverage. There are several circumstances where a Professional Photographer can be sued, such as a Wedding Photographer not performing as expected. Indemnification Trust is sorta like Malpractice Insurance for a medical professional, where one party assumes financial risk for another in the event of a loss or agreed upon covered event that results in loss.

I would be very surprised if any "insurance" would protect you from a criminal act. The general law of the land being "Ignorance of the law is no excuse", if you commit a criminal act, you commit a criminal act! Doesn't matter if you knew if it was illegal or not. In fact, just the existence of a document that implies you may believe it to be illegal could be devastating in criminal court. I know if I was a prosecutor, I'd pounce all over that.

But...I AM NOT A LAWYER. For all I know this version of "Indemnification Trust" exists. If there is a legal back door that would absolve you of criminal liability for the commission of a criminal act, I would think it would be in very wide use and very quickly closed by state or federal legislation.

If you are going to enter a situation that you are suspicious of it's legality, I would strongly suggest you consult a criminal defense attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction first, or even just call the police and ask them about it. I, personally would feel much more secure with that route than depending on insurance.

Again...JUST MY OPINION and I am not an attorney or versed in the law. Based solely on my experience and the semester of "Law and the Photographer" from film school. (which was dreadful, BTW)

The point of having insurance as a subcontractor, regardless of your field of work is to protect you. The key part of what I said was "knowledge" if you have no knowledge then you have no intent. If you provide a service under a "legal" binding agreement and that person uses your work for nefarious activity, you cannot be held liable for His/their criminal acts.

This is how gun manufactures are not held liable for unlawful acts that are used with their products.

I have done these types of jobs for Drone Base. For the $50 buck mission Its 13 pictures total, any decent drone pilot/photographer should hopefully be able to take 13 professional pictures in 10 minutes. From lunch to landing I am on-site for 20 minutes, I usually take jobs that are no more than 20 minutes away. So for an hours work, $50 bucks. For me getting paid $50 bucks to fly my drone is better than letting it sit in a closet doing nothing. Oh and Drone Base pays as soon as you up-load the work... no editing, just up load. FYI Drone Base also has missions that pay $75, $150, and $250. How do you get missions in the higher pay range, by starting out in the lower pay range.

I have done these types of jobs for Drone Base. For the $50 buck mission Its 13 pictures total, any decent drone pilot/photographer should hopefully be able to take 13 professional pictures in 10 minutes. From lunch to landing I am on-site for 20 minutes, I usually take jobs that are no more than 20 minutes away. So for an hours work, $50 bucks. For me getting paid $50 bucks to fly my drone is better than letting it sit in a closet doing nothing. Oh and Drone Base pays as soon as you up-load the work... no editing, just up load. FYI Drone Base also has missions that pay $75, $150, and $250. How do you get missions in the higher pay range, by starting out in the lower pay range.
I do a lot of DroneBase jobs as well from $50 to $500 and I look at it the same way as you. 8-13 pictures, 15-20 mins work, $50 in my local area, and I don't have to edit....why not? I did a few for $50 for 8 ground pictures using my entry level DSLR camera of an Arby's, and a couple of old gas stations. However, I always refuse the ones that say "Tenants are unaware". I live in Alabama, and I get a lot of jobs in rural areas.. I'm not trying to get shot at. I require someone knowing I'm taking pictures at the location.

I do a lot of DroneBase jobs as well from $50 to $500 and I look at it the same way as you. 8-13 pictures, 15-20 mins work, $50 in my local area, and I don't have to edit....why not? I did a few for $50 for 8 ground pictures using my entry level DSLR camera of an Arby's, and a couple of old gas stations. However, I always refuse the ones that say "Tenants are unaware". I live in Alabama, and I get a lot of jobs in rural areas.. I'm not trying to get shot at. I require someone knowing I'm taking pictures at the location.
I also do not do tenants unaware, lol I am in Cali, but I avoid for the same reasons you do... lol

Reactions: Kentrol72
PAYOUT
$50
----------------------------------------------------
FLIGHT DATE
Best time available
Please refer to mission details and
respond to this email if bad weather is anticipated.
Instructions
  • Weather: Up to 100% cloudy
  • Scope: (9) aerial images
  • The tenants are not aware of this inspection. Shoot from the street and do not interact with or disturb the tenants. Be discreet.
  • Your vehicle cannot be visible in the images. Do not park in front of the home.
  • Please confirm the address before shooting.
  • Do not shoot if the property is covered in snow. Up to 6" of snow cover is acceptable.
  • Do not fly on a holiday or weekends
  • At least 9 images must be provided. If any of the requested images are difficult or not possible please substitute with a different shot.
  • If you are approached by the tenant: Please let them know you are flying this mission on behalf of DroneBase to do a property inspection. You are abiding by all FAA regulations and legally allowed to fly. If they ask you to stop taking pictures please do so and then send us an update.
  • Only accept if you are allowed to fly in this airspace.
  • If mission is in restricted airspace - Operator must check dji.com/flysafe 24 hours before capture and follow the instructions under Unlocking Request.

There were two similar jobs and physically, not close together. Several questions stand out in my mind.
The "tenants" are not aware of this inspection?
If approached and they ask you to stop taking pictures, then do so?
If it was a landlord/tenant thing, then the landlord has the right and should notify the tenant.
If it is an official city government thing, then it would be downright illegal.

Does anyone know what in the world is this about?
I heard of another pilot taking one and getting grilled by a homeowner who didn't request pictures. He wasn't a "tenant".
If the people living in them don't know about the pictures, aren't you taking the risk of getting arrested for surveillance?
I wouldn't take something like this, but someone snapped them up very quickly.

I can only think of a few reasons to take pictures of someone's house without their knowledge and none of them are good.
Not being able to do them on Holidays or weekends tells me that "discreet" is definitely the key factor here.
I'm very curious about the purpose of these "missions".
I get that all the time from Dronebase.
I just means the landlord is selling it and they don't what the tenants to get wise (yet).
I once shot a retirement home with the same instructions. Just did. not the residents going off.
There are no legal issues. You are not surveilling just documenting.
Not shady at all.
Most of my DB jobs are for property that is to be sold.
It's the 50 bucks that upsets me - we are getting played.

I get that all the time from Dronebase.
I just means the landlord is selling it and they don't what the tenants to get wise (yet).
I once shot a retirement home with the same instructions. Just did. not the residents going off.
There are no legal issues. You are not surveilling just documenting.
Not shady at all.
Most of my DB jobs are for property that is to be sold.
It's the 50 bucks that upsets me - we are getting played.
Drone Base will up the price if they really need the work done and no one has accepted it. I've seen them come up from initial offer of $70 up to $150 after rejecting once or twice. I get offers sometimes outside of my area and is too far for me to accept at the initial offering.

Drone Base will up the price if they really need the work done and no one has accepted it. I've seen them come up from initial offer of $70 up to $150 after rejecting once or twice. I get offers sometimes outside of my area and is too far for me to accept at the initial offering.
Yeah where I live a job has gone in three minutes and that’s the problem these kids will take anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905