Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Sectional Confusion ...

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
Here's a segment of the sectional here in Maine. This is on/near the PWM (Portland International) - there are 2 Class Charlie's with a Class Echo embedded. Surface-Ceiling marks are clear but how do we interpret the Class Echo. Can I fly in the Echo airspace that's encapsulated by the Charlie airspace that's marked 1500 to 4100 WITHOUT an authorization (Echo is surface to 700 AGL as the norm)?

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 10.47.14 AM.png

Thanks for the confirmation Luis ... I think I'm gonna shoot that lighthouse (FI) on the point SE ...

If you wanted to add an extra level of safety you could create a NOTAM for your proposed flight time and date. Let them know you will be flying at or below 400 feet AGL, 6.3 NM on a 145° radial from KPWM, of course you would want to verify that info.

KPWM.jpg

Reactions: Avocet
Depending on what the active runway is on the day you will be flying you could get VFR traffic on approach to Portland but they should be a minimum of 1000 feet, unless you get someone sight seeing and wanting to take a look at the light house.

I agree, file a NOTAMS that way you have done all you can to let other pilots know you are there and what altitudes you will be working at.

If you wanted to add an extra level of safety you could create a NOTAM for your proposed flight time and date. Let them know you will be flying at or below 400 feet AGL, 6.3 NM on a 145° radial from KPWM, of course you would want to verify that info.

View attachment 690
Curious ... is this a Foreflight Interface? I'm using 800wxbrief.com for UOS and NOTAM creation ...

Thanks all .. had a great flight(s) this morning. Flew the mission with a P3P and an Inspire 1. Created a NOTAM - no issues, HOWEVER, about an hour after I finished shooting and with 6 active hours left on the NOTAM, a Banner flight (looked like a 170 tail dragger, not a Cub, flew right into my radius - low and slow. Now my NOTAM called alt at 280 AGL and maybe, MAYBE he was 350 AGL ... Momentarily stunned ...

:eek::eek::eek:o_O

Unfortunately, there are lazy pilots everywhere. Some never bother to check for NOTAMS because they are familiar with the area and "do this every day." This is why we must have eyeballs on the back of the head and we will be blamed anyway.

I always file my NOTAMS with ENII. They will appear here.

Avocet, there is only 1 Class Charlie, yes the sectional shows 2 rings because of the "layered" bases. Think of a cake with 2 layers but upside down. There are no embedded airspaces, where 1 begins, the other ended, there is no overlap. Class Echo can be confusing, and can be found where you wont' think, it is one of the few that have AGL and MSL places. It may start at surface, or 700 agl, or 1200, or 14.5 MSL, stops below FL180, starts FL600, crazy airspace...A controlled field when tower not operating becomes E too
Also, regarding NOTAMS,,,,as a pilot I worry about them at places I fly into, runway closure, ILS out of service stuff, or those that may alter my flight. Most pilots don't call the briefer anymore, electronic preflights took over. Banner towers, crop dusters, many don't look at anything. And to tell the truth, my eyes are in the sky for planes, not drones, and they are so hard to see too. IF I WAS to sight see and fly over to that lighthouse, say i rented a 152 and took a photographer and I wanted to circle it at 500 agl, I'd be legal, some will drop lower, I'd never see you, or probably not. The bug on my windshield I would see, many planes that do that stuff are older and the windshields aren't the cleanest. So it's up to you, don't rely on them. Now if you had fluorescent vests and rotating beacons on ground!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services