Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Skirting Class E Airspace..

Local UAS

Reaction score
Website
www.localuas.com
Folks, I'm headed to FL for vacation and want to bring my drone to fly both for fun and some future b-roll to potentially use in my portfolio.

I'm looking at the airspace around where I'll be vacationing and I'll be flying in a relatively narrow space between two Class E areas. See pic:
I've visited this area before and I know aircraft do fly low along the coastline.

My plan is to monitor CTAF with a radio and adhere to every letter of 107 regulations (duh).

But what else might you all recommend to make flying in this area as safe as possible?

Thanks for the advice.

So you say "skirting class E", but in reality, you should be well under neath it. The chart shows two uncontrolled airports with Class E Airspace floor starting at 700' AGL. As Russ pointed out, it's probably a high traffic area and tuning into CTAF is a great idea. Please share some of the video, should be an awesome time.

Those are Class G airports. Definitely be careful, and monitoring the CTAF for the closest airport is an EXCELLENT idea. Be aware that in scenic coastal areas, manned aircraft may be sight seeing at altitudes below 400 feet. So keep your eyes open and have fun.
Talk about help from THE expert! I actually read that and heard @Russ Still voice in my head. Scary.

Russ, seems to me the sectional indicate those airports, while not towered or have ATC, indicate they are both in class E? My recollection from the Part 107 prep and test indicated outside the hard edge is Class G up to 1200 feet to the floor of Class E, anything within the circle soft edge is 700 feet up to the floor of class E, will over our normal legal limit of 400 AGL.

I fully agree that monitoring CTAF is crucial in heavily used airspace of any class along with careful visual scanning for situational awareness.

Russ, seems to me the sectional indicate those airports, while not towered or have ATC, indicate they are both in class E? My recollection from the Part 107 prep and test indicated outside the hard edge is Class G up to 1200 feet to the floor of Class E, anything within the circle soft edge is 700 feet up to the floor of class E, will over our normal legal limit of 400 AGL.

Hey there, MtMan. You're partially correct. Yes, the Class E starts at 700, but the airport, at the ground level, is in Class G airspace. Thus, it's a Class G airport.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV